HEGPS - Our Nature Zone
December 11, 2017, 02:18:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register Website Webcam Facebook  
collapse
Pages:  1 ... 49 50 [51] 52   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My Nebraska  (Read 42060 times)
gmadeb3
HEGPS

United States United States

« Post / Reply #750 on: October 06, 2017, 01:33:53 PM »

who would have imagined butterflies on radar. Even more that they migrated (or immigrate as my co-worker commented to me) like the monarchs and some that travel those many miles. Isn't nature full of amazing things

A smile is the universal welcome- Max Eastman
Tigerlady105
HEGPS

« Post / Reply #751 on: October 06, 2017, 07:02:25 PM »

Wow!  That'a what you can call a plethora of butterflies!  thumbup

Commit random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir
jeavverhey

« Post / Reply #752 on: October 07, 2017, 02:12:08 AM »

Nature is wonderful - so glad you lucky ladies have been able to enjoy that.  smile
gmadeb3
HEGPS

« Post / Reply #753 on: October 13, 2017, 03:36:45 PM »

My furry friend Squirt is living somewhere near.  He visits often so I thought I would put together a few pictures of the progress he has made.  When I first saw him he was a terrible sight to look at, hardly any fur on him and scratching all the time.  Got some advice and increased the food variety to include a better balanced diet.  He has slowly improved and now is a good looking squirrel- he does have a really unique tail now.  Seems the end of his tail which never grew any fur has fallen off so he has a really short tail.

First time I saw him

This picture is of Squirt today,  pretty darn healthy squirrel

Tigerlady105
HEGPS

« Post / Reply #754 on: October 13, 2017, 07:12:22 PM »

Looks better, thanks to your care, Deb!    love

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir
Donnae
HEGPS

Canada Canada

« Post / Reply #755 on: October 13, 2017, 11:13:15 PM »

He looks great Deb.... good job!!!!
gmadeb3
HEGPS

« Post / Reply #756 on: October 15, 2017, 04:18:07 PM »

Yesterday was a foggy, cold day but went out to the bison prairie after my workshop.  The bison heard was all snug in the tall grass prairie.  Every once in awhile one would get up and stretch and look around.  Of course I would have loved to have a nice blue and sunny sky,  the fog made it challenging.  The really neat thing about seeing the bison at this time of year is they have got their winter coat now.  They are such massive creatures.  Along the fence of the bison prairie I got to see some little birds sitting on the posts.   

Blue Bird is another beautiful bird

Sandor3

Canada Canada

« Post / Reply #757 on: October 15, 2017, 05:36:49 PM »

Beautiful photos, Deb...love being near bison listening to their gentle sounds.  Thanks for sharing!

"We tend to forget that happiness doesn't come as a result of getting something we don't have, but rather of recognizing and appreciating what we do have."    ~Frederick Koenig

"We aren't the only ones that live on the planet, but we act like it."  ~ Jane Goodall
Tigerlady105
HEGPS

« Post / Reply #758 on: October 15, 2017, 09:24:36 PM »

Your bison photo would make a beautiful painting, Deb.    love

gmadeb3
HEGPS

« Post / Reply #759 on: October 31, 2017, 08:50:31 PM »

It was a great Monarch year for me,  hope that they do well over the winter and I will see many come springtime.

Tigerlady105
HEGPS

« Post / Reply #760 on: October 31, 2017, 08:58:27 PM »

Deb, you got many Monarchs off to a very good start!   investigate      heartssmiles

gmadeb3
HEGPS

« Post / Reply #761 on: October 31, 2017, 09:08:21 PM »

A look back at some butterflies and it is amazing how they can fly when their wings get so beat up.

Common Buckeye

gmadeb3
HEGPS

« Post / Reply #762 on: October 31, 2017, 09:18:32 PM »

Now that it is fall the milkweed pods are opening and sending their seeds to the sky and hope to find a nice place to grow in the spring.  Habitat and pollinators are so important for all things plus we get to enjoy the beauty ourselves.

butterfly milkweed pod and seeds

common milkweed seed pod

gmadeb3
HEGPS

« Post / Reply #763 on: November 04, 2017, 08:30:11 AM »

One little milkweed seed caught on a dried flower,  you never know where it will end up...  hope it finds someplace that it can grow

gmadeb3
HEGPS

« Post / Reply #764 on: November 04, 2017, 09:15:48 AM »

It sure has been a very busy time around here with so many raptors needing rescued.  I have been involved in assisting in captures, transfers and overnight stays.  Some of the birds are hurt pretty bad and the best you can do is keep them warm and safe from predators.
  Many have broken wings, probably from being hit by vehicles and you want to get them to the center as quick as you can.  Our rehab center is at the eastern part of our state so all the birds must travel there, since I live close to the interstate and in the middle of the state it makes it really easy for me to help out.  Here is a GHO that was spotted on the ground, not far from a highway and out in the middle of the day on the ground.  He was unable to fly (but he could run).  I was able to get him and take him home and arrange transport with another volunteer to drive it to the center.  This bird was
 #525 for the year, last year we took in 600 (this maybe a record year with almost 2 months left).

On the way back home I saw a hawk on a telephone pole so I pulled over to get a look at him.  He was picking on something in his talons.

Pages:  1 ... 49 50 [51] 52   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

* Theme Changer

Forum Default

Permanently