HEGPS - Our Nature Zone
October 20, 2017, 11:52:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register Website Webcam Facebook  
collapse
Pages:  1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My Nebraska  (Read 36947 times)
gmadeb3
HEGPS

United States United States

« Post / Reply #720 on: July 19, 2017, 07:51:08 PM »

This morning my 2 little monarch eggs were beginning to hatch,  the sad thing was I had to leave for work.  When I came home for lunch I couldn't find the eggs (which they eat their shell).  I carefully starting looking over that milkweed leaf,  I wanted to get the little ones on a fresh leaf. Even got the magnify glass out to look. Finally found the first and got it moved to its own leaf.  The second was more difficult,  it was on the other side of the leaf,  thank goodness I was careful.  Both now are in their own little cup and eating away.  They are tiny and they have such a big black head at first.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7C5r-CD2oLI" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7C5r-CD2oLI</a>

A smile is the universal welcome- Max Eastman
gmadeb3
HEGPS

« Post / Reply #721 on: July 31, 2017, 06:27:50 PM »

Painted Lady butterflies were all over here yesterday,  have no clue why but there were hundreds all around.  So I set out to take some pictures of them on some flowers.  Looking close at them they have hair on their body,  wow.

They look kinda grumpy,  this one has its proboscis up and tasting the flower of a sullivans milkweed

gmadeb3
HEGPS

« Post / Reply #722 on: July 31, 2017, 06:48:14 PM »

What a special day I had this last weekend.  I had a call from our raptor center that 3 GHO's were ready for release and if I was available.  The adult was picked up very close to my town and they release them in the same area that they are rescued.  The other 2 were young ones that had been in the same flight pen so they could be released with the adult with no problem.  What made it more special was my daughter's family was coming out so I asked the grandkids if they would like to help.  They were great help,  each grandson got to release an owl.  I let the adult go first followed by the youngsters.  We watched them fly off and find a spot in the trees.  What a great feeling that was and to also share it with the grandsons.

birdvoyer
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« Post / Reply #723 on: August 01, 2017, 07:13:19 PM »

Wow! How special for your grandsons! But I cannot imagine the feeling when you are able to return these wonderful creatures back to their environment.  heart

"No one cares how much you know, until they know how much you care."
Tigerlady105
HEGPS

« Post / Reply #724 on: August 01, 2017, 08:00:15 PM »

Wonderful experience for your grandsons!  They'll always remember it.   love

Commit random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir
gmadeb3
HEGPS

« Post / Reply #725 on: August 08, 2017, 09:35:36 PM »

On August 21 there is going to be a total solar eclipse pass right over my town.  We are in the path of totality which will last 2 min and 31 secs.  I got a solar filter for my camera so i have been doing some practice photos.  Here is one of just the sun,  you can see a black dot on the sun which is a sun spot.  This is a really rare event so there are thousands of people coming to view this all across the state and country.

Tigerlady105
HEGPS

« Post / Reply #726 on: August 08, 2017, 10:20:00 PM »

It's exciting that you'll see totality during the eclipse, Deb!  I would have missed seeing the sunspot on your photo if you hadn't mentioned it.    smile

My brother and his family went to see one on the Peru border.  He said there was a 'diamond ring' effect.  I hope you'll see that.  (That effect doesn't last long.)  Hopefully, you can capture that moment and be able to share it with us.   nod

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir
jeavverhey

« Post / Reply #727 on: August 09, 2017, 03:34:30 AM »

Beautiful  experience you shared with your grandsons Deb - I am sure they will never forget that
 Enjoy the ecclipse experience as well -  I have only seen 2 full ones in my life -  and yes they are very special indeed.  I look forward to your  photos. :-)
gmadeb3
HEGPS

« Post / Reply #728 on: August 22, 2017, 07:42:44 PM »

The very anticipated day, hour, min and sec arrived yesterday.  No way to control mother nature,  the threat of clouds and in some places rain were forcasted but how can you get to another place fast enough,  so you stick with your original plan and just hope.  We lucked out so much, the skies had some clouds but as the moment for totality approached we got a great view.  Thousands of people traveled  so far for this very special celestial occurrence.  My work place had set up a viewing area with telescopes and our educator that had seen an eclipse before.  He gave out info as to what is happening and what to look for.  It was the most awesome thing I have ever seen.  I have pictures but truely if you ever get the opportunity to see one in person you should do it (2024).  In my town we had 2 min and 31 sec of total coverage of the sun by the moon, boy it goes by fast.  It started around 11:34 in the morning and ended around 2:30 pm.  Amazing how much the sun moves in that time frame so you have to keep moving your camera to keep the sun in the view finder.

This is the first moment the moon appeared on the sun

the haze around the sun is from the clouds

amazing how the darkness is engulfing the circle of the sun

just about the last sliver of the sun showing, the next series  will be so amazing.............

gmadeb3
HEGPS

« Post / Reply #729 on: August 22, 2017, 08:23:16 PM »

When the sun is totally covered by the moon you see an amazing light around the whole moon.  You get the corona view, which is the white flares from the surface of the sun.

During this time you can see planets in the sky, a 360 degree sunset.  It is AMAZING,  ok I might say this word a few time.

The next amazing thing to see is called Baily's Beads.  They are the flashes of light around the moon surface.   

This is the brilliant diamond ring, so the surface of the moon is not smooth but has mountains and canyons. Flashes of light can be see around the circumference of the black moon as the sunlight shines through the canyons.  Another  AMAZING thing to see.  The darkness was such a surreal feeling.  It brought a chill to the air and of course a tear or two because it was so darn amazing.  Then the next phase is the moon slipping away from the sun......... and then it is over.

Tigerlady105
HEGPS

« Post / Reply #730 on: August 22, 2017, 08:25:24 PM »

Beautiful series, Deb.  Thank you for your 'live' comments.   nod

gmadeb3
HEGPS

« Post / Reply #731 on: August 22, 2017, 08:45:14 PM »

Now this is a repeat of the beginning process (looks like a bite of a cookie),  you see the moon move past the sun and slip away.  I am still on such a high and the crowd is still in awe.  You want it to keep lasting.  Some highlights-  we saw a nighthawk fly over, there was a planet that showed up, in town the street lights came on, the darkness was really Amazing since it was the middle of the day, crickets chirped  and many people came together to share in this spectacular event.  heart

There were a series of dark spots on the surface of the sun which are caused by areas that have reduced surface temperature

And there is the last little bit of the moon covering the sun,  it is now completed.  It was so awesome and I hope you all enjoyed it also if not in person but by some of these photos.  heart

amazedbyeagles

« Post / Reply #732 on: August 23, 2017, 04:07:23 PM »

Amazing photos, Deb!  Beautiful series!  You really describe the whole event wonderfully with your camera and your impressions!  My kids went to Oregon to experience totality.  My son took his telescope and set it up on a tripod with the reflected image on a white board.  He showed me his image of the sunspots and the NASA photo that shows the sunspots are actually two places next to each other, one a positive charge, the other a negative charge, with the energy flowing between them like a flare!  I love your image of Bailiey's Beads, and how you can see the flares on the right side of the image in red/orange!  My kids also said it was the most amazing experience of their lives, my daughter said second only to childbirth!  LOL  One thing that amazed me was the image my son showed in a video that showed the sunshine on the horizon, while the sun was in total eclipse!  Amazing!  You are so fortunate to live close enough to really see it all and that you have the equipment to share your experience with others!  Thank you so much!!  If I'm still around in 2025 I'm heading to Texas!!!  Everyone says its a once in a lifetime experience and not to be missed!   love
gmadeb3
HEGPS

« Post / Reply #733 on: August 23, 2017, 06:09:52 PM »

The place I work at has a 360 degree camera.  We took a video of the approaching eclipse and the totality.  You can see the shadow approaching in the sky and light fade.  It shows how the light changes and how the shadow moves past the sun and off to the east.  On the video you can click and move the picture around to see like you were looking around.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfKQdgaDPo4" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfKQdgaDPo4</a>

watch the video straight from the YouTube link it is better

Cawatcher
HEGPS

« Post / Reply #734 on: August 23, 2017, 06:43:01 PM »

thumbup Fantastic narrations and captures Deb  thumbup
Pages:  1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

* Theme Changer

Forum Default