HEGPS - Our Nature Zone
December 16, 2017, 11:54:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register Website Webcam Facebook  
collapse
Pages:  1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 52   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My Nebraska  (Read 42772 times)
boonibarb
HEGPS

Canada Canada

« Post / Reply #630 on: April 01, 2017, 09:19:07 AM »

Lovely lovely lovely, thank you Deb!

wooohoooo!
gmadeb3
HEGPS

United States United States

« Post / Reply #631 on: April 01, 2017, 09:37:31 AM »

So how do you view the Sandhill cranes at the river?  There are buildings placed just on the bank of the river.  In this photo you see a nice clear view of the river.  From the outside you can not see in due to the darkening of the plexi glass.  Cut outs are made so you can open the little windows.  The guests are not allowed to stick cameras or binoculars out the windows.  Then you wait to see the cranes.  smile

A smile is the universal welcome- Max Eastman
jeavverhey

« Post / Reply #632 on: April 02, 2017, 01:54:14 AM »

Thanks you for the great close ups and the  invormation about the colts Deb.  Very interesting..
gmadeb3
HEGPS

« Post / Reply #633 on: April 10, 2017, 09:29:57 PM »

I don't want to admit that the squirrels that visit my place are spoiled BUT when you are outside and you start hearing one scold you from the tree branch right above your head, telling me that his feeder is empty I am beginning to think they are.  I think you can almost make out my reflection in his eye,  LOL

Tigerlady105
HEGPS

« Post / Reply #634 on: April 10, 2017, 10:53:50 PM »

lol

Commit random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir
jeavverhey

« Post / Reply #635 on: April 11, 2017, 03:21:26 AM »

my squirrels chastise me for trespassing in their yard! confused
gmadeb3
HEGPS

« Post / Reply #636 on: April 12, 2017, 08:12:34 PM »

I really get excited when a new bird stops at my place and I happen to get a photo of it.  Outside in my backyard I hear this really strange bird call,  I look up in the tree and I see the yellow headed blackbird calling, I make a dash back in the house to get my camera and am lucky to get a few pictures.  These birds migrate here and farther north into Canada for the summer and nest in freshwater marshes.  If you get a chance look up their call and take a listen.

To enjoy the yellow headed blackbirds call, click this link
https://www.allaboutbirds.org/search/?q=Yellow-headed%20Blackbird

jeavverhey

« Post / Reply #637 on: April 13, 2017, 01:42:33 AM »

Cool. Never saw or heard of them before. That call is as diatinctive as its plumage, but nowhere near as attractive!  eek!  Thanks for sharing.  smile
gmadeb3
HEGPS

« Post / Reply #638 on: April 14, 2017, 11:45:43 PM »

A cloudy morning at Calamus looking for prairie chickens and white pelicans.  As the sky got lighter there was movement on the sandhill -  dark little critters began to stir and call out.  The males protect their territory and call to the female.  The females walk between the males territory and the males try to impress the gals by filling their air sacs along their neck.  They call and raise some of their feathers along with some feet stomping.

female

gmadeb3
HEGPS

« Post / Reply #639 on: April 15, 2017, 12:33:38 AM »

Warning the videos you are about to see are not the best quality,  it was a cloudy early morning and the wind was blowing right into the bus blind.  You might just fall in love with Prairie Chickens.  smileheart   They are pretty fast LOL
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dta7gODGgjU" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dta7gODGgjU</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=249p-Tacw4g" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=249p-Tacw4g</a>

jeavverhey

« Post / Reply #640 on: April 15, 2017, 02:00:09 AM »

they almost glide across the field as if floating on water - long grasses hiding the feet and legs  smile
NancyM
HEGPS
Administrator

« Post / Reply #641 on: April 15, 2017, 08:11:49 AM »

Deb, those videos are great!  I'm happy to know that you got up to Calamus outfitters  to see the prairie chickens - you know I fell in love with them last year! I think there were more on the lek when you were there mid-April compared with mid-March when I saw them. Looking forward to next year and maybe we will see Sage Grouse too!   love
gmadeb3
HEGPS

« Post / Reply #642 on: April 15, 2017, 10:24:51 AM »

You have to get up early to get to the lek because they start coming out very early in the darkness.  You can hear them way before you can see them.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gt64zV3YNug" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gt64zV3YNug</a>

Tigerlady105
HEGPS

« Post / Reply #643 on: April 15, 2017, 10:10:42 PM »

They seem to almost glide through the grass.   nod

Commit random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir
gmadeb3
HEGPS

« Post / Reply #644 on: April 23, 2017, 11:09:46 PM »

I visited a little pond wetland in the middle of the city.  Much activity this time of year. First there was the Canada Goose family.  The new little goslings being coaxed to the water by their parents

off they go for their first swim

Pages:  1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 52   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

* Theme Changer

Forum Default

Permanently