HEGPS - Our Nature Zone
February 24, 2017, 10:23:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Help keep the Hornby cam broadcasting! See this new topic: http://www.ournaturezone.com/index.php?topic=1649.0

Home   Help Login Register Website Webcam Facebook  
collapse
Pages:  1 ... 37 38 [39] 40   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My Nebraska  (Read 17593 times)
gmadeb3

United States United States

« Post / Reply #570 on: February 06, 2017, 10:36:24 PM »

Even in winter there is some open water for geese and ducks to enjoy.  I can't wait for the spring migration to get here, March is just around the corner.  I found a lake in Omaha that had some open water and had many Canada geese and hidden in the geese I found a few other kinds of ducks.  The geese were swimming in a line from the open water and get to the ice at the end of the lake and then take off.

A smile is the universal welcome- Max Eastman
gmadeb3

« Post / Reply #571 on: February 06, 2017, 10:49:34 PM »

This picture is of a little stream leading to the Platte River,  there was a small waterfall as the stream found its way through the forest.  While looking at the waterfall there is some water that is frozen in time but then you also see some of the water that is still able to continue on its way down the stream.  This is why Nature is Special

jeavverhey

« Post / Reply #572 on: February 07, 2017, 04:58:24 AM »

Lovely photo Deb. I live in a valley town surrounded by amcient limestone "mountains".. We have many similar waterfalls here, from very high to quite small. Each beautifull in its own way, at all times of the year. But I especially enjoy them in their winter clothes. Just be careful where you step to get those 'perfect' shots. We dont want you to hurt anything.
Cawatcher
HEGPS

« Post / Reply #573 on: February 08, 2017, 09:03:58 AM »

putting on 22nd pair of socks looking at these poor birds  mhihi
Tigerlady105
HEGPS

« Post / Reply #574 on: February 08, 2017, 04:57:31 PM »

Beautiful there, Deb!    love

Commit random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir
gmadeb3

« Post / Reply #575 on: February 14, 2017, 08:12:08 PM »

It was time to make my trip to the Lake and canal where the eagles gather in winter.  I was not disappointed in the numbers, plus there were other birds to watch also.  The ice was really melting on the lake, the gulls were busy fishing for food, the eagles were either in the trees or standing on the ice waiting to grab a fish dropped by the gulls.  I traveled to the Tri county canal where the eagles perch in the trees and swoop down on the fish in the canal after they have passed thru the power plant.  I saw many different ages of eagles at both places. 

Eagles in the trees along the canal

plenty of food

Eagle resting in the tree

gmadeb3

« Post / Reply #576 on: February 14, 2017, 08:41:39 PM »

There are also many other birds in the area at this time.  Seems the Spring migration is starting.

This is a Harlan's Red-Tail Hawk,  it was pulling the feathers off his breakfast

While driving in the country this Merlin was sitting on a road sign (took the photo through the car window)

The snow geese are arriving in large numbers.  Here they have taken a liking to a sand and gravel pit right along the interstate.  Earlier in the day there was a report of 100,000 there.

I thought I would check out a place by the Platte River where I take people to a blind to view the Sandhill Cranes and I couldn't believe what I found.  A large number of Sandhills flying into the river to roost.  They are here already  binoculars binoculars

Sunset on the prairie is always serene - here a small herd of deer enjoying the nice evening.  That sums up my weekend adventures.  Hope you enjoy your adventures where ever you wonder off to  heart

gmadeb3

« Post / Reply #577 on: February 14, 2017, 10:37:22 PM »

While waiting for the Full Snow Moon to rise, an eagle flys off to his night time perch area, it was a bit cloudy out but still enjoyed the evening.

Now what I have been waiting for, the full moon appears, oh no there is clouds in the sky making it difficult.  Kind of Mars like.

Here is a view looking at the lake that has some open water, and then the ice.  This small area has lots of eagles, mergansers,  all sharing.

NancyM
HEGPS
Administrator

« Post / Reply #578 on: February 15, 2017, 09:55:01 AM »

Super photos, Deb.  Oh, to be in Nebraska during Spring migration!!

I guess the timing for the snow geese is right on, but a bit early for the cranes?  I am also curious to hear how that sand mining operation near the Crane Trust is going and if it will suspend operation during migration as promised.
Faerie Gardener

« Post / Reply #579 on: February 15, 2017, 02:31:31 PM »

Yes, it seems early for the Sandhill Cranes!  I love the photo of the Merlin.

"In all things of Nature there is something of the Marvelous"  -Aristotle

"A garden is never as good as it will be next year" -Anon
Tigerlady105
HEGPS

« Post / Reply #580 on: February 15, 2017, 05:18:46 PM »

Deb, you live in a great area for birding!   thumbup

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir
NancyM
HEGPS
Administrator

« Post / Reply #581 on: February 15, 2017, 07:38:59 PM »

I got an email from the Crane Trust this morning, it seems the sandhill cranes are exactly on schedule:

Sandhill Crane Counts – Week 1
by Crane Trust
Andrew Caven, Lead Biologist

The Crane Trust is back to flying the 90 mile route from Chapman, NE to Overton, NE. Our aerial count for the morning of Monday, February 13th, was 8,146 Sandhill Cranes. These were almost exclusively in bridge segment three (of eleven) from HWY 281 to HWY 40c (Alda road).  Based on our photo-subplot count the aerial count is approximately 3.2% low, which gave us about 8,400 Sandhill Cranes (SACRs) rounded to the nearest 100. This is almost the exact same number of SACRs detected last year at this time, which was 8,200 on 02/16/2016 by contrast there was about 3,800 SACRs at this time in 2015. In addition to Sandhill Cranes, we also counted Bald Eagles utilizing the river during their migration in February as well as Dark Geese. Today we counted 45 Bald Eagles (39 last year during week 1) and 4,200 Dark Geese (9,200 last year during week 1).

Hopefully this short update serves you well. Weather permitting, the Crane Trust will produce weekly count updates throughout the Sandhill Crane migration this year.
Cawatcher
HEGPS

« Post / Reply #582 on: February 15, 2017, 07:48:16 PM »

Great series of photos Gmadeb! Wonder if Nancym returning!?  smile
Donnae
HEGPS

Canada Canada

« Post / Reply #583 on: February 15, 2017, 10:21:02 PM »

Great photos Gmadeb! Thanks
Tigerlady105
HEGPS

« Post / Reply #584 on: February 16, 2017, 02:31:42 AM »

Interesting info about the Sandhill Cranes, Nancy.  Thank you for sharing it here.

Pages:  1 ... 37 38 [39] 40   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

* Theme Changer

Forum Default

Permanently