Author Topic: My Nebraska  (Read 97448 times)

Offline gmadeb3

• HEGPS
    • My Flickr Page
Re: My Nebraska
« Reply #735 on: September 07, 2017, 09:17:32 PM »
I have been enjoying a Ruby-Throated Hummingbird at my feeder for a few days (I am smitten with the spunky little fella).
  There is a second one around but Never see them at the same time eating, The Boss doesn't like to share I guess.  The other evening I was giving the dog a haircut outside and it didn't bother him,  he still came to the feeder for his evening meal, it sure was hard to keep my attention on the dog haircut, lol.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAKYTRguCNs" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAKYTRguCNs</a>

Size means nothing to the little hummer, he was in a stand off with a wren on the neighbors clothes line.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qrk2wfutlA" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qrk2wfutlA</a>
A smile is the universal welcome- Max Eastman

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #736 on: September 07, 2017, 11:34:58 PM »
The male hummers are feisty little birds.  One yelled at me when I was hand-watering the backyard lawn.

:rotf1
Commit random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir

Offline gmadeb3

• HEGPS
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #737 on: September 13, 2017, 08:34:04 PM »
This summer has seen an explosion of Painted Lady Butterflies.  The sedum flowers have been covered with them.
  The conditions were just perfect for these butterflies which hatched from the soybean fields.

All these ladies kept Frankie busy,  ♥

Offline gmadeb3

• HEGPS
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #738 on: September 13, 2017, 08:56:41 PM »
The little hummer is still around and won't let the other get close to the feeder.  Have seen many chases, one even zipped by me as I sat waiting for her to come to the feeder.  I am not sure how long it will stay around but I sure am enjoying the activity.

Even the Painted Lady was sneaking a drink from the feeder

we are now getting the Monarchs passing through on their way south also

Offline birdvoyer

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #739 on: September 14, 2017, 07:43:38 AM »
Deb, the photos of the butterflies on the Sedum are spectacular!

It is good to hear that there has been a "bumper crop" of Monarchs this year.  :heart

Thanks for sharing.
"No one cares how much you know, until they know how much you care."

Offline gmadeb3

• HEGPS
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #740 on: September 15, 2017, 07:58:19 PM »
It is really neat to have birds visit my feeder.  I have observed lots about some of their behaviors.  The cardinals really like early morning and late evening visits, blue jays are loud and pushy, european collared doves come in groups, sparrows must call out to all their friends and relatives and fly into the bird feeder in mass.  Lately I have had a couple of hummingbirds,  they are fast little ones that is for sure.  The one doesn't like to share the feeder and goes on the chase many times but last night I got to watch 3 enjoy eating all together.
  Not sure what the occasion was but there they sat on the perches of the feeder all sipping away.  Then a young cardinal flew down to the bird bath and took a few sips.  Light was going but i got a couple of pictures of the late evening visit.

Offline jeavverhey

« Reply #741 on: September 16, 2017, 03:41:01 AM »
I have never seen  hummers share! :eceek How nice to capture such a moment.  :nod2 I think you were blessed with that visit.  The hummers around here are very territorial and chase others of their kind away. :ecwink Nice of the  cardinal to pose for you too  :thumbup:

Offline gmadeb3

• HEGPS
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #742 on: September 21, 2017, 07:03:45 PM »
Fall is officially here, soon the trees will be colorful but until then I am busying watching for the monarchs and tagging as many as I can.  Lots of things are in migration mode, the hummer is still hanging around,  the tree was full of starlings yesterday (oh they were noisy),  the acorns are falling from the neighbors tree (almost need a helmut on when outside).  I have been gathering those that have fallen and will save them for the squirrels this winter.

A tagged monarch,  the small tag is stuck on the wing and doesn't bother them.  Monarchs that have been recovered with a tag are documented and information is gathered where they are from.  This is important in following their migration path.

Others love the flowers this time of the year, this is a spinx hummingbird moth, fast little flyers.

Offline gmadeb3

• HEGPS
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #743 on: September 24, 2017, 09:58:54 AM »
Tis the season of butterflies.  We have had the painted ladies here in mass, the Monarchs are migrating through.
  Others are the yellow and white sulfurs and now this cute one called a border patch.

border patch

yellow sulphur

Asters covered with Painted Lady butterflies, But there is one that is different, a white sulphur hiding in there

Offline Sandor3

« Reply #744 on: September 24, 2017, 10:08:50 AM »
You ARE the butterfly whisperer, Deb!  Beautiful photos...thanks for sharing!
"We tend to forget that happiness doesn't come as a result of getting something we don't have, but rather of recognizing and appreciating what we do have."    ~Frederick Koenig

"We aren't the only ones that live on the planet, but we act like it."  ~ Jane Goodall

Offline winterwren

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #745 on: September 25, 2017, 09:25:01 PM »
:eclol I found it! I had to see the photo full size to see that White Sulphur. Otherwise it all looked the same.
This would make a crazy puzzle. Of the kind that I'm not patient enough to solve.

Offline gmadeb3

• HEGPS
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #746 on: October 01, 2017, 09:20:39 PM »
While out looking for birds a monarch floated by and found a place to land on a tall piece of grass.  I am out in the prairie  and the flowers are starting to wither away.  This tall piece of grass is called big blue stem which is found in a tall grass prairie.

Offline gmadeb3

• HEGPS
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #747 on: October 05, 2017, 10:03:12 PM »
A trip out to the marshy wetlands, with the recent rains there is a nice amount of water and the migrating birds are taking advantage.  One hazard of driving on the country roads is picking up a nail or two in the tires (yep two in one tire).  Happy to see so many Cormorants,
 Coots, Ducks and Cattle Egrets.

Offline jeavverhey

« Reply #748 on: October 06, 2017, 03:30:08 AM »
Holy Hanna Deb! great luck with the wildlife - terrible luck with the tire! :eceek

Offline birdvoyer

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #749 on: October 06, 2017, 08:09:02 AM »
Gmadeb, I thought that you would like to see that your Painted Ladies are abundant here in Colorado too. They say the weather conditions have lead to a bumper crop this year. So much so, the meteorologists picked them up on the weather radars, thinking that it was migrating birds. They are everywhere here.

http://wjla.com/news/offbeat/massive-wave-of-butterflies-lights-up-denver-weather-radar 
"No one cares how much you know, until they know how much you care."