Author Topic: My Nebraska  (Read 170334 times)

Online gmadeb3

• HEGPS
    • My Flickr Page
Re: My Nebraska
« Reply #1110 on: December 10, 2019, 08:55:21 PM »
During the World War 2 there was an ammunition plant in this area.  These bunkers were made to store the ammunition and equipment in.
 There were made to look like the ground when you flew over from the air.  They are still used but now some are also used as storage garages.   There is still an ammunition factory there too. 

A smile is the universal welcome- Max Eastman

Online gmadeb3

• HEGPS
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #1111 on: December 10, 2019, 09:24:17 PM »
The coolest moment is when an eagle flys by right in front of you,  can you see the feathers that are a different shade,  wonder if that is the difference in an older feather and a newer feather?

Trying to imagine how big that wing span is .........  sure is large

Offline jeavverhey

« Reply #1112 on: December 11, 2019, 02:06:31 AM »
You  got some really cool  captures Deb. Obviously your found a great spot and you have a really good eye. :nod2 Love the photos. :thumbup:

Online gmadeb3

• HEGPS
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #1113 on: December 30, 2019, 09:21:22 AM »
Finding birds on a cloudy, foggy day......  they are out there no matter what the weather is like

Here is an eagle couple along the Platte River

Here is a Red-tail Hawk couple looking over the prairie

Early one morning I let the dogs out and a hawk flew over and landed across the street in the tree as the morning sun was rising

Driving along the edge of town and came across two more Red-tail hawks

One morning I was letting the dogs outside and a hawk flew over our yard and landed across the street in the tree.  The sun was just giving some nice color to the sky

« Last Edit: December 30, 2019, 06:28:40 PM by boonibarb »

Online gmadeb3

• HEGPS
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #1114 on: January 01, 2020, 10:20:15 PM »
Happy New Year 2020 !!  I went on a New Years Day hike on a Prairie which overlooks the Platte River.  It really was a nice day, temp in the mid 30's F, just a slight breeze.  Walking along the river you could hear the slush moving along with the current of the water.  Up on the bluff over looking the river I took one of the photos.  You can see how the river channel winds along.  What a nice way to start the new year.   

Online gmadeb3

• HEGPS
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #1115 on: January 05, 2020, 07:57:07 PM »
I decided that Saturday was going to be a nice day and I needed to take a trip west to the Power generating plant.  Eagles gather there during the winter since the canal doesn't freeze and there are fish that get flushed through the power plant and make it easy fishing.  You can go inside the building and look down the canal but I find taking photos through the windows very difficult - plus I like being outside to get a better look all the way around.  There are usually eagles of different ages perched in the trees along the canal,  they wait for the fish to float by and then they swoop down for the catch.

Online gmadeb3

• HEGPS
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #1116 on: January 05, 2020, 08:32:53 PM »
After spending a few hours watching the eagles I went to the lake to see if anything worthy was there to look at.  The lake was frozen at one end but over by the inlet (where the water comes into the lake) was all open water.  Lots of times there are eagles standing on the edge of the ice while ducks are swimming and fishing.  There was ice but it was a long ways out.  So many gulls flying and lots of mergansers.  I sat on the edge of the lake for a bit and also in the car as the mergansers swam close, diving and surfacing.  Hard to know where they will pop up after they dive but I just kept ready and hoped to catch something interesting.

Online gmadeb3

• HEGPS
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #1117 on: January 05, 2020, 09:03:00 PM »
To continue on with the days pictures...........  sitting and watching but also listening.  There was the loud calls from a kingfisher,  now to locate it and get a photo or two.  Well as things go it landed on the tree branch not to far -  and how lucky am I,  a stick is right in the way.  Well it landed with a fish and needed to incapacitate the fish in order to eat it.  It smacked the fish on the branch a couple of times, it readjusted the fish and then was able to swallow it.

Offline jeavverhey

« Reply #1118 on: January 06, 2020, 05:01:53 AM »
 :biggrin3 I always knew that the eagles are opportunists, but now I know that  you are too Deb!  :eclol
LOVE IT and the photos too  :eclove

Online gmadeb3

• HEGPS
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #1119 on: January 20, 2020, 08:39:46 PM »
We had a bit of nasty weather last friday and we had closed my work place,  that left me home and could peek at my bird feeders.  The birds were really busy during the snow and freezing drizzle.  I had put out some fresh bird seed and heard a different call,  it sounded like a wren but I am not sure.  I put on my coat and decided to sit out on the step by the house in hopes of seeing who was singing.  Finally I saw the songster,  it was a wren for sure.  Now I got a couple of pictures because now I don't know what kind.  It didn't seem like the house wren that I have seen before so I looked and compared the photos --  it is a Carolina Wren.
 It is not common in my area,  we are on the far west range for them.  On Sunday I looked and there was two visiting but by the time I got the camera and get out the door quietly they flew off.  They were eating on the feeder that had Safflower seed in it.  It flew off and landed in my clematis on the fence which made a nice little picture. 

Online gmadeb3

• HEGPS
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #1120 on: January 20, 2020, 08:45:28 PM »
This same day the other visitors were the common house sparrows, collared doves.  There was also the little dark-eyed juncos,  they were busy hopping around under the feeders picking up fallen seeds.  I  was able to get a photo of a male and female.

Online gmadeb3

• HEGPS
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #1121 on: January 27, 2020, 09:19:38 PM »
Snow and cold has made it hard to get outside but on Sunday a bit of a warm up,  time to take a hike.  I was in Omaha visiting the family and wanted to go hiking at a place called Fontenelle Forest.  It is  close to the Missouri River and lots of trees.   It started out a little foggy, the trails had snow so walking was a bit noisy.  I didn't even run into one person on this hiking trail,  it was so nice.  I was walking along looking around, listening for any bird calls.  Looking for birds in the trees is difficult,  you see a bird and half of the bird is behind a branch.  I had seen a couple of flickers and red bellied woodpeckers and then I heard this call......  it was not one that I knew,  it was different and special.  I started scanning the trees and I saw something fly to a branch,  it was dark and large.  I kept my eye on it, trying to get my camera to get a focus on it.  I started to just click off some photos because I didn't care if they were good or not.  I just wanted to have a visual of that bird.  It was a Pileated Woodpecker for sure and that call was just amazing.  I was able to watch it for sometime and got a few pictures of it as it searched for food in the trees.  It really can pound on a tree branch and make the bark fly.  Finally it flew off down closer to the river and landed in another tree,  it was followed by a Red-headed woodpecker.  Amazing to see the size difference as they were both in the tree.

This is the start,  I didn't care that it was not a good picture because I was able to see it

what a red crest it has

I have to say I didn't really feel the cold......   

Offline Cawatcher

• HEGPS
« Reply #1122 on: January 28, 2020, 07:18:30 AM »
Had to be a heart stopper! :biggrin3

Online gmadeb3

• HEGPS
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #1123 on: February 09, 2020, 08:19:37 PM »
Not that I count or do a check list but I do know when I have seen a bird that I have not seen before.  I was out visiting the display raptors and I heard a bird calling.  When I hear a bird then I start looking around, then I spotted it - a small little bird, busy on a tree branch.  The air was chilly and a nice breeze blowing, it stopped for a moment and then did a little wing stretch.  Then off it flew up and away to the tree tops.  This cute little bird was a Golden-crowned Kinglet. 

I was so glad I looked around to find that sweet little bird.

Offline mishikeenhquay

• HEGPS
« Reply #1124 on: February 11, 2020, 03:57:52 PM »

Just beautiful Deb!  Miigwetch for sharing your life through the lens with us!
"Our true enemies, as well as our true sources of strength, lie within."