Author Topic: Brigantine Nest - 2015-2016 season  (Read 8908 times)

Offline winterwren

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
Brigantine Nest - 2015-2016 season
« on: January 19, 2016, 08:31:19 PM »
This is the place to discuss and post photos of the Brigantine nest and its territory.
Brigantine is the cam nest's second neighbour to the right as we look out the cam.
This nest has seen no offspring for the past three seasons but we check it from time to time. Some new construction has happened in the area and our opportunities for observations have narrowed down, however. Some of our former watching spots are now in someone's yard.

The observations from last year, and a link to the previous years, are here.

Offline winterwren

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
Re: Brigantine Nest - 2015-2016 season
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2016, 08:57:19 PM »
On January 16 I was walking past this nest tree at sunset and couldn't see the nest!
On the other hand, a pair of adult eagles was sitting on what used to the these eagles' favourite seaside perch. I had not seen anyone there all last year.
So the next day I returned in better light and with binoculars and my camera.

The nest has always been on the small side, and it still is, but it is still there in the same spot.
I saw an adult eagle flying around...
Found a way to that seaside perch and one eagle was on it!

Picture time.
January 17, 2:55 pm

For this one I focused on the feet... We photographed an eagle with a leg band in this territory on previous years... This is not the one.

Offline winterwren

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2016, 09:16:07 PM »
January 17, 2:55.

Fly-off! Strange angle too.

Definitely no leg band.

I was looking at the large size of this last photo, finding it slightly odd... I think what's happening is that this eagle has moulted out the outer primary on the right wing. First time I see this.

Offline winterwren

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2016, 08:37:14 PM »
I walked along the shore to near Tralee Point and back.

On the way I saw a small flock of Harlequins, swimming right through the breaking waves.
Sometimes they forage in there, dodging rocks, in surf several times their height. I love watching them do that.

January 17, 3:30 pm

Top of one head just visible over the wave!

Offline Faerie Gardener

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2016, 03:33:15 PM »
Beautiful Photos Wren.  I love those Ducks   :heart
"In all things of Nature there is something of the Marvelous"  -Aristotle

"A garden is never as good as it will be next year" -Anon

Offline winterwren

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2016, 10:16:32 PM »
I visited the territory of this nest on July 20. The nest tree is right by the road, so it's easy to see if there are poopshots below the nest... There aren't any. I don't see any other signs of occupancy either: no screeps or calls, no adult eagles nearby and none of the little bits of down that cling to the nest branches as eaglets moult to their definitive plumage.

Looks like yet another fallow season for this pair.

Offline boonibarb

• HEGPS
  • Forum Guide
    • my flickr photos
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2016, 12:07:30 PM »

Okay, so we had a WICKED thunder & lightning storm on Hornby the morning of august 2.
i was up at 2am & the room lit up with a flash of lightning, but i don*t remember the thunder.
But an hour or two later i was dozing & waking up to thunder & lightning, i could see the flashes through my closed eyelids, & the thunder was actually shaking the house!
At first it was cool, but as the thunder got louder & i could feel my bed actually shaking, i began to get a bit scared, i must admit.
i have NEVER heard thunder like that before, & it was just getting louder & louder & closer & closer.
Otto moved everything out of the way & knocked my door handle open & came in my bedroom to check on me, then went to lay down nearby.
i lay there listening to the sound of the thunder coming closer in time to each lightning strike.
One incredible flash of lightning shook the house the hardest & i looked at the time so that we could see the video of this happening on the cam & what it looked like.
4:24 am.
Turns out this was when our cam blacked out for 20 minutes.
It came on by itself, but our sound was now a buzz, & we have lost control of the camera.
The video footage of the storm is INCREDIBLE!
The cam is dark, then the whole view lights up brighter than daylight, then goes dark again, & then you hear the thunder.
It was amazing.
i have been SURE that the storm caused our problems, but i took fotos of the cam in the Tree & there is no sign of a lightning strike.
But surely such a strong storm could have caused our problems somehow.
So now this has come back from our techs!

Itís certainly not going to hurt to give the connections up top a tug and see if there is any damage or corrosion happening. But by the looks of my service schedule, that storm took down a lot of camera systems! We have a few replacements on the go, but Iíll keep my fingers crossed that yours can be repaired.

Aha!
So it wasn*t just us then.
& the storm was likely the cause.

Then i got this e-mail from my friend!

Hi Barbie Barbie Otto Otto,
Did you see the tree that got hit by lightening in your hood during the storms a couple of weeks ago?
If you havenít, get on your bike and go east at the soup can and about 20 meters before the gate look at the old growth fir to the left (water side)  , itís really incredible.  The strike also blew out 2 transformers right there too.  I was so surprised that there was no burning, just an enormous gash the length of the trunk.  Very cool!

So, yesterday we went to investigate.
i was pretty sure it would be the Brigantine Nest Tree from the description, & sure enough it was.
There were strips of wood & chunks of bark in the bushes & beside the road, clear down the road & across the street from the Tree.
Here is an example of the strips of wood that the lightning caused, this is the lowest area of damage to the Tree.
There is a torn strip from here all the way to the top of the Tree.
& a transformer on either side down the road a bit.
These strips are probably two feet long at least.
You can click on each foto which will take you to the foto on flickr, then click on the foto to magnify & see this up close.

august 13 12:19 - lightninged Brigantine Nest Tree

The tear begins partway up the Tree, pretty much on the level of the hydro lines going by!

i remember learning that lightning doesn*t strike from the sky to the ground, it actually goes from the ground to the sky!
So perhaps the lightning somehow started in the hydro line, blew the two transformers, then exited out the Tree top?
Hydro line visible here.

This Nest Tree is on the same road as our Nest Tree & cam Tree, two nesting territories over, maybe something like three city blocks away.

A sample of the strips of wood & chunks of bark i found lying everywhere.

link to my fotos page -  

https://www.flickr.com/photos/43214021@N08/
wooohoooo!

Offline boonibarb

• HEGPS
  • Forum Guide
    • my flickr photos
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2016, 12:19:07 PM »

i am trying to follow the torn streak all the way from where it starts lower down to the top of the Tree

august 13 2016 12:24 - lightninged Brigantine Nest Tree

i believe you can see the remnants of the Nest in the *v* in the upper right corner, close to the trunk.
It has been a long while since they have nested here, though the Eagles are still seen in the area.

link to my fotos page - 

wooohoooo!

Offline boonibarb

• HEGPS
  • Forum Guide
    • my flickr photos
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2016, 12:25:02 PM »

Close up of the ripped open strip.

august 13 2016 12:24 - lightninged Brigantine Nest Tree

i think the top of the Tree is right in there, follow the light coloured strip up.

The lower branchless part of the Tree where the tearing begins or ends.
This is a HUGE beautiful old Tree, there are not many left, the base is like our Nest cam Tree.

Torn strips of the Tree, still attached.

link to my fotos page - 

wooohoooo!

Offline boonibarb

• HEGPS
  • Forum Guide
    • my flickr photos
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2016, 12:29:28 PM »

august 13 2016 12:31 - lightninged Brigantine Nest Tree

Trying to see up the top of the Tree again.

link to my fotos page - 

wooohoooo!

Offline jeavverhey

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2016, 03:23:23 PM »
Those photos are very vivid snd tell an incredible story. No wonder you got nervous!  Glad ottonisvlooking out for you.

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2016, 03:49:49 PM »
Scary story and photos, booni.  I'm glad you and Otto are OK!    :ohno
Commit random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir

Offline Rajame

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2016, 01:03:34 AM »
OH MY Goodness Booni! Not only is that scary, but the tree took a huge shock too. Bless you all. :hearts2
Your soul lights up the room as if the sun is beaming directly.

Offline Faerie Gardener

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2016, 11:43:28 AM »
 :eceek
(((Booni and Otto))) So glad you two are OK!

Wow, what a huge streak that is. It's a wonder there wasn't a fire.
"In all things of Nature there is something of the Marvelous"  -Aristotle

"A garden is never as good as it will be next year" -Anon

Offline Cawatcher

• HEGPS
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2016, 03:18:19 PM »
August 2nd lighting storm with sound.

You can tell the time by going full page time is indicated upper right corner. (magnifying glass may be required..
at 0409 there is a ping noise 2 times, 0410 goes to Blue screen, 0415 Big hit or noise, 0416 heavy rain, 0419 Blue screen, 0421 ping metalic sound, 0424 Black and white horizontal lines, static black screen, 4:48 Back on lightning continues.. sound off but buzz and crack from the lightning energy

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yyibCOUUKM" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yyibCOUUKM</a>

Slow motion of lighting up the terrritory at 3:42am
http://youtu.be/ffvvfsmaSDE