HEGPS - Our Nature Zone
October 22, 2017, 01:23:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register Website Webcam Facebook  
collapse
Pages:  1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2016  (Read 19076 times)
boonibarb
HEGPS
Forum Guide

Canada Canada

« Post / Reply #45 on: December 13, 2016, 10:28:15 AM »

i was driving home from work yesterday on the main road.
i drive slowly because i don*t want to hit any wild life!
Drives the people behind me crazy, but sheesh, this is a small Island not the Indy 500!
i noticed a leaf blowing across the road in front of me too late to slow down as i realized the leaf was actually a Golden-crowned Kinglet Bird!
i looked in my rear view window & there was the *leaf* in the middle of my lane!
i pulled over & went running back & of course three cars went zooming by blowing the *leaf* around even more & one almost ran her over!
Right until i picked her up i was still hoping she was a leaf, but no, she was a little stunned Bird, looking all balled up with the feet drawn up to the chest like when they strike a window.
i carried her back to my car with other cars whizzing past.
i also found a dead cold Pacific Wren that had been hit in the same spot!
So i brought her home too.
i didn*t have a box or a paper bag so i lay the Kinglet in my down vest & covered her up.
i thought she was a goner but she seemed to be still moving when i got her home!
So i put her in a box with a paper towel in the bottom to rest.
Meantime i checked my phone messages & i*d gotten a HEART call three hours ago!
People have a Goldfish pond in their yard covered in netting & noticed an Owl in the water tangled in the netting!
They were wondering what to do & had no idea how long the Owl had been there.
They ended up cutting the Owl out of the netting but there was still some wrapped around a toe & talon when the Owl flew off!
So now they were wondering what to do.
When i called back they had called MARS, yay!
Reg said to bring the Owl in to them to deal with.
So they had managed to catch the Owl, likely a Barred, put him in a box & someone was taking him right to MARS on the 2pm ferry.
i mentioned the Kinglet to her & she said maybe send her in as well & she gave me the cell phone # of the man driving the Owl in & i was able to reach him & send the Kinglet in with him too!
Reg said these little guys often recover after a rest in a dark box, which was my plan til the timing turned out just right to send her in to MARS to be sure she was okay.

wooohoooo!
gmadeb3
HEGPS

United States United States

« Post / Reply #46 on: December 13, 2016, 06:10:36 PM »

How special you are and so glad others have picked up on helping out.  It becomes contagious   heart

A smile is the universal welcome- Max Eastman
Donnae
HEGPS

Canada Canada

« Post / Reply #47 on: December 13, 2016, 08:46:01 PM »

Thanks Booni for caring and thanks to the other people too... hope all turns out well.
paintnut
HEGPS
Administrator

« Post / Reply #48 on: December 14, 2016, 11:23:37 AM »

Thanks Booni and thanks to those who are also aware of and on the lookout for injured wildlife.  Nice to know that they know there are others to call for help and information on what to do.  Great job all around.
auroradawn
HEGPS

Canada Canada

« Post / Reply #49 on: December 14, 2016, 12:23:35 PM »

That's terrific, booni.  Hope both will be OK.
jeavverhey

« Post / Reply #50 on: December 14, 2016, 12:54:10 PM »

SWEET!
boonibarb
HEGPS
Forum Guide

Canada Canada

« Post / Reply #51 on: December 15, 2016, 09:35:26 AM »

i called MARS yesterday morning & our little Kinglet has died.
i didn*t get any more details than that.
Now i wonder if they wouldn*t have done better if i had kept them here, quiet & resting.
It is so hard to know what to do sometimes...

But our Owl is ready for release already!
Just waiting for a ride to pick her up from MARS & release her here back to her family!
Here are some fotos MARS posted last night.
This is the Owl upon admission, still with the netting tangled on the foot, being handled by Reg.
i guess they got that removed, the Owl has a sore foot, but is ready for release!

& in her flight pen.

wooohoooo!
Cawatcher
HEGPS

« Post / Reply #52 on: December 15, 2016, 09:38:26 AM »

I am so sorry to hear of your kinglet dying booni.. the owl looks great GO HEART!!!
Faerie Gardener

« Post / Reply #53 on: December 15, 2016, 07:05:55 PM »

Sweet Owl. I wonder how they managed to catch it! I'm sorry about the little Kinglet They are so very tiny and pretty. I found one in the woods once, never knew how they were injured but I tried the box technique and it didn't work for that little one either   cry

Thank you for trying, Booni and for saving the kinglet from a terrifying situation.

"In all things of Nature there is something of the Marvelous"  -Aristotle

"A garden is never as good as it will be next year" -Anon
jeavverhey

« Post / Reply #54 on: December 16, 2016, 05:11:53 AM »

Such a wonderful and quick outcome for the owl. 🤗  please dont second guess yourself about the dear little kinglet Booni. He was cared for and much more comfortable at the end than he otherwise might have been.  You gave him a chance, and I am grateful for that and for HEART. 👍👏❤️💕💞
boonibarb
HEGPS
Forum Guide

Canada Canada

« Post / Reply #55 on: December 16, 2016, 09:09:49 AM »

i am not sure how they managed to catch the Owl.
You can see she still had the netting around her foot, so i am glad they realized that would be no good & captured her.
She was in the water for who knows how long so maybe she was just tired & easy to catch.
This was posted on Hornby facebook Word of Mouth today.

Kristin brought the owl home this afternoon and she has been let out and flew away. Beautiful to see her so close up. Happy to be home!

wooohoooo!
Faerie Gardener

« Post / Reply #56 on: December 16, 2016, 01:49:30 PM »

What a happy Owl story!

"In all things of Nature there is something of the Marvelous"  -Aristotle

"A garden is never as good as it will be next year" -Anon
boonibarb
HEGPS
Forum Guide

Canada Canada

« Post / Reply #57 on: January 11, 2017, 07:40:05 PM »

i got a call from Reg late yesterday that they were ready to release the rescued young Hornby Heron & that today would be the day!
This Heron was first posted about here.
He*d decided to come over for the day himself & he brought a student with him.
They were going to do the release, have lunch, then go for a walk around Helliwell on this sunny cold day.
i lucked out & was able to attend the release!
The youngster was released in the yard where they were first spotted.
Apparently Herons are VERY territorial, & if we released this youngster into occupied territory they might even be killed by the local resident.
So, this yard seemed a safe place to start out for this youngster.
MARS has kept them since capture & the Heron has been well fed.
Reg said they*d been fed $8/day of Anchovies from a local store!
The youngster had put on 30 grams, which he said was a LOT for a Heron.
They hadn*t observed the youngster to be flying high in their pen, so since there were no Eagles, the Heron was put in the large Eagle flight pen where they were seen to fly quite well.
So, MARS had done what they could for the Heron & today was the day.

january 11 2017 12:13 - youngster Great Blue Heron release

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVv2XHrx7VA" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVv2XHrx7VA</a>

After the Heron was gone, we looked in the kennel & the Heron had upchucked all the Anchovies they*d been fed today.
Reg said they do this when they are afraid, kinda like HERE, eat these rather than me! mhihi

link to my fotos page -  

https://www.flickr.com/photos/43214021@N08/

wooohoooo!
Donnae
HEGPS

Canada Canada

« Post / Reply #58 on: January 11, 2017, 09:29:09 PM »

Wonderful to see Booni, thanks for posting and thank you MARS for looking after him.  Good luck youngster!!
winterwren
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« Post / Reply #59 on: January 11, 2017, 11:27:52 PM »

Believe it or not, I was at MARS when that heron got captured from his flight cage for transport back to the release site!
I was there for my annual contribution to MARS... a donation of tree pruning.
This time, though, I started working on the new MARS site, renovating the big old trees on the new property.

I had gotten that same message from Reg the day before, and I would have loved to bring that heron back to his home, but I wasn't  coming back to the island till after dark, with my truck loaded to capacity. So Reg stayed with his initial plan and drove that bird to the island himself.

I was lucky enough to be present for the capture, though!
Reg is wearing safety glasses for the capture. He said that this young heron has become really feisty - and of course this is good news.
"The first thing you grab, and the last thing you let go of, is the beak. That's his weapon."

January 11, 10:10 am

Pages:  1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

* Theme Changer

Forum Default

Permanently