HEGPS - Our Nature Zone
March 28, 2017, 12:34:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Help keep the Hornby cam broadcasting! See this new topic: http://www.ournaturezone.com/index.php?topic=1649.0

Home   Help Login Register Website Webcam Facebook  
collapse
Pages:  [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2016  (Read 14096 times)
boonibarb
HEGPS
Forum Guide

Canada Canada

« on: December 31, 2015, 11:13:43 AM »

HEART rescues in 2016

Thank you to our Hornby first responders!

January 12

• Female Common Goldeneye found in grassy field uphill of Little Tribune Bay. The story of the rescue can be read here

February 8

• Young Eagle found stumbling around near Sea Lion carcass. The story of the rescue can be read here

February 28

• Eagle spotted very low down in a Tree near a Seal carcass. The feathers were reported to be in bad shape, & Eagle appeared old & not doing well. The story can be read here

April 11

• Eagle spotted on the beach, very haggard & weak. Captured & on the way to MARS. The story can be read here

April 25

• Female Crossbill found with a broken wing. Captured & sent to MARS. The story can be read here

May 15

• A sick Pine Siskin is spotted on my Bird feeder. Captured & let rest but died. The story can be read here

May 16

• Song Sparrow found stunned on the side of the road. Captured & let rest then released. The story can be read here

May 28

• A woman on Hornby Island found a Hummingbird on her driveway that was unable to fly. The rest of the story can be read here

June 6

• Canada Goose captured with an injured foot. The story can be read here

June 12

• Fledgling Rufous Hummingbird found looking poorly. The story can be read here

June 24

• Dead River Otter pup found in Helliwell Provincial Park. The story can be read here

July 10

• wren discovers a downed Eaglet while out for a paddle one evening!
    The full story with updates & fotos can be read here.

November 13

• HEART gets FOUR wildlife in distress calls in three days!
    A Flicker, a Fawn on the side of the road, a dead Fawn inside a greenhouse & an injured Great Blue Heron.
    The  stories can be read here &  here.

December 12

• A Golden-crowned Kinglet Bird & a Barred Owl are sent to MARS on the same day! The  stories can be read here.

wooohoooo!
boonibarb
HEGPS
Forum Guide

Canada Canada

« Post / Reply #1 on: April 27, 2016, 08:45:28 AM »

i got a call just as i was heading out the door to work!
A man on Mount Rd., near the ferry, had found what he called a Western Tanager, but without the red, he said.
The Bird also had a curved beak, he said.
i suggested this might be a Crossbill.
This Bird had a broken wing!
He had the Bird in a box with a capful of water & wanted to give her chicken scratch.
i advised that he hold off on any food or water, & suggested he call MARS for advice, then wren or Aaron if he needed help or a kennel from my shed.
i told him what i would do is get the covered Bird down to the ferry & beg the lineup for a ride to Buckley Bay or further north, to meet with MARS.
i had to run, he said his truck was broken down, & i never heard back from him, so i wrote to Sarah at MARS, she is the Program Coordinator, & has been super helpful with my phone & e-mail questions.

i had a call this morning from a man named P on Hornby who thought he had a Western Tanager with a broken wing.
i told him to call you.
i was hoping to hear back from him.
Did the Bird make it in to you for help today?

She replied -

Hi Barb,

We had a crossbill come in from the Island today. She has a broken wing but we have it wrapped and hope it is a quick fix. Thanks for checking in.

A female Crossbill would look like this.

march 8 2013 13:36 - female Red Crossbill

wooohoooo!
idahowa

United States United States

« Post / Reply #2 on: April 27, 2016, 11:59:43 AM »

Heart has sure been busy!  Excellent work you all.  Looking forward to seeing you in a couple weeks.
Tigerlady105
HEGPS

« Post / Reply #3 on: April 27, 2016, 09:44:28 PM »

Wonderful save, booni!   love

Commit random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir
jeavverhey

« Post / Reply #4 on: April 28, 2016, 01:52:22 AM »

smile love
boonibarb
HEGPS
Forum Guide

Canada Canada

« Post / Reply #5 on: May 17, 2016, 09:38:45 AM »

Yesterday on our way home from Tribune Bay tennis court checking out the Nest again, i spotted a Bird shape on the side of the road that just didn*t look right.
The Bird looked alive, but not well.
There was no one behind me so i backed up.
At first i thought the Bird had left, but i just hadn*t backed up far enough.
The Bird was still there, looked like a Song Sparrow, sort of tilted forward, looking stunned, so likely hit by a car.
i was able to pick her up in a paper napkin & then i transferred her into a paper bag with the top folded & clipped with a clothespin & i let her rest in the shade for a while.
When i came back to check, the bag was scritching & rattling, so we drove back to where i*d picked her up.

may 16 2016 16:41 - Song Sparrow release

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kYA25oYWa8" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kYA25oYWa8</a>

link to my fotos page - 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/43214021@N08/

wooohoooo!
boonibarb
HEGPS
Forum Guide

Canada Canada

« Post / Reply #6 on: May 17, 2016, 09:49:31 AM »

A not so happy ending.
i saw this poor Bird sleeping on top of the feeder & then on the ground in the yard.
When i went out to check, there she was sleeping under the feeder.
i was able to catch her under there with my hand no problem, & i put her in a kennel with a towel on the bottom & one overtop so she could rest.
Then i called MARS.
i was handed over to Reg & he said likely salmonella, Pine Siskins are very prone to have & carry & spread this.
He said check if the vent was plugged with poop & if i put seed down & she eats right in front of me, these are both signs of salmonella, as it makes them ravenous.
He also said clean the Bird feeder as this is highly infectious.
Well, the vent was not clogged & she didn*t eat seed, but i left her to rest & when i checked she had already died.
i had to be careful to wash & sterilize everything afterwards, including my hands & the kennel, & i buried her away from other Birds.

may 15 2016 09:14 - sick Pine Siskin

link to my fotos page - 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/43214021@N08/

wooohoooo!
amazedbyeagles

« Post / Reply #7 on: May 17, 2016, 02:47:04 PM »

Awwwwwwww..... both lovely stories of birds in trouble!  Love the sparrow scritching in the bag!  We have problems with pine siskins dying from contact with feeders in California as well..... so I stopped filling my seed feeders this spring, feeling sure the birds can find enough natural seed.  I notice a real drop in seed eaters to my woods...  only see oak titmice now,no more finches....  sigh   But I'd rather not have sick birds!
Thank you for sharing your experiences, Booni!  love
jeavverhey

« Post / Reply #8 on: May 17, 2016, 07:36:50 PM »

I am sorry that your attempted rescue failed for the Siskin but you saved the little finch. What a hero you are Booni. Keep up the great work.  wink
Tigerlady105
HEGPS

« Post / Reply #9 on: May 17, 2016, 10:46:18 PM »

Thank you for telling us about both birds, booni.  A good outcome and one that didn't make it.  You show us both sides of the natural world.   heart

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir
Faerie Gardener

« Post / Reply #10 on: May 18, 2016, 09:53:47 AM »

Awwww. I heard that lots of Pine Siskins were sick this year, likely from Feeder infestations.

"In all things of Nature there is something of the Marvelous"  -Aristotle

"A garden is never as good as it will be next year" -Anon
auroradawn
HEGPS

Canada Canada

« Post / Reply #11 on: May 29, 2016, 08:56:25 AM »

Yesterday afternoon I received a phone call from Reg at MARS.  A lady on Hornby Island had found a hummingbird on her driveway that was unable to fly.  She had put it in a small box & was heading to the ferry to see if she could find someone to take the bird over to Buckley Bay but needed someone to meet the ferry & transport to MARS.  Was I available? “YES I was”.  Reg gave her my number so we could co-ordinate.  About an hour later she called to say she had found someone & they were on route.

Off I went to Buckley Bay to meet an unknown person, unknown vehicle type, unknown vehicle colour, so I just stood by my vehicle in the parking lot at the gas station, watching the ferry unload, hoping the person would realize I was the transporter.  A guy got out of his truck & looked over at me “are you Dawn”? Phew it worked!  He handed over a little box along with a small jar that contained sugar water & told me that every so often he dipped his finger into the nectar which the bird readily accepted.

Not wishing to take a chance of an escaping hummer in the vehicle, I did not lift the lid to take a look.  So off to MARS we go with the box tucked between my feet (no I was not driving).  Once at MARS we were met by 2 young ladies who lifted the lid so I could then get a look at a lovely adult female Rufous hummingbird, she made no attempt to flap her wings, just kept turning her head & looking at all of us with her lovely bright eyes.  I will try to contact Reg in the next day or so for an update, she is in good hands now and hope there is nothing seriously wrong.

Tigerlady105
HEGPS

« Post / Reply #12 on: May 29, 2016, 11:12:38 AM »

Thank you for helping this hummer, Dawn.  You did a real  heart-ful deed! 

jeavverhey

« Post / Reply #13 on: May 30, 2016, 04:24:50 AM »

Awwww. Thank you Aurora for your HEART. Hugs to both you and driver  thumbup
Faerie Gardener

« Post / Reply #14 on: May 30, 2016, 06:21:29 PM »

heart  Thank You!  Best wishes to this sweetie.

"In all things of Nature there is something of the Marvelous"  -Aristotle

"A garden is never as good as it will be next year" -Anon
Pages:  [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

* Theme Changer

Forum Default

Permanently