HEGPS - Our Nature Zone
January 18, 2018, 06:39:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register Website Webcam Facebook  
collapse
Pages:  1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nest 21 - Whaling Station Bay - 2015- 2016 season  (Read 7518 times)
boonibarb
HEGPS
Forum Guide

Canada Canada

« Post / Reply #15 on: February 09, 2016, 11:37:03 AM »

So, more to the story.
Three women were walking Helliwell when they spotted what looked to be an injured young Eagle on the beach.
When they approached, the Eagle flew away.
Aaron was called to help, & here he is, talking to the Eagle & approaching only very slowly.
Thank you Aaron, & thank you Roxy for the fotos & for being involved in the much needed rescue of this young Eagle!

february 8 2016 - Eagle rescue - Aaron approach

link to my fotos page - 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/43214021@N08/

wooohoooo!
Faerie Gardener

United States United States

« Post / Reply #16 on: February 09, 2016, 03:05:54 PM »

Awww. Nice that she is not alone anymore.

"In all things of Nature there is something of the Marvelous"  -Aristotle

"A garden is never as good as it will be next year" -Anon
madrona
HEGPS

Canada Canada

« Post / Reply #17 on: February 12, 2016, 11:20:15 AM »

i got home late afternoon & there were all these calls on my answering machine!
Reg said she was a big Eagle, likely female, in her first year, & extremely thin, only 3 point something kg.
She was having trouble breathing.
Her poor physical condition may have led to Aspergillosis taking over.
They were going to feed her tube fluids & try to treat the breathing problem.
Reg sounded concerned & not optimistic.

I am wondering whether this eagle survived?  Has there been any further news?

I heard that winterwren was involved in a rescue also around the same time.  Could this be the same eagle that winterwren arranged the transport for - the one that the dawn took from the ferry to MARS?

Wildness reminds us what it means to be human, what we are connected to
      rather than what we are separate from. - Terry Tempest Williams
auroradawn
HEGPS

Canada Canada

« Post / Reply #18 on: February 12, 2016, 01:20:42 PM »

I am wondering whether this eagle survived?  Has there been any further news?

I heard that winterwren was involved in a rescue also around the same time.  Could this be the same eagle that winterwren arranged the transport for - the one that the dawn took from the ferry to MARS?

On Monday afternoon at approximately 4pm winterwren telephoned me, she said someone had contacted her about an eagle that appeared to be injured and the eagle had been picked up & placed in a box & then transferred to a pet carrier.  There were people who were able to get the eagle to Buckley Bay but needed transport from there to MARS.  Wren called Reg but he was in Campbell River so was unable to meet the ferry, so wren asked if I was available.  I met the 5pm ferry & transported the young eagle to MARS.

Yes, this was the same eagle that booni posted about, but I have no further news.
boonibarb
HEGPS
Forum Guide

Canada Canada

« Post / Reply #19 on: February 12, 2016, 08:20:30 PM »

Unfortunately that poor Eagle was in such poor shape that she didn*t even make it through the first night.

wooohoooo!
jeavverhey

« Post / Reply #20 on: February 13, 2016, 03:06:05 AM »

sad
Thank you Booni, Aurora and MARS for doing all that you could. At least the outcome was caring, if not good. The eagle was more comfortable at the end than they would have been if left unattended.  heart
winterwren
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« Post / Reply #21 on: June 22, 2016, 09:32:23 PM »

Yesterday was my first visit of the season to this nest.

I could hear some screeping even before I got within sight of the nest tree. There were some sounds from adults also.

From what I could see, there was a good smattering of white poopshots below the nest tree.

I set up my tripod on the back side of the nest and waited... I heard screeps every few minutes, some gulling calls from a distance away; once I saw the silhouette of an eagle flying above, then some territorial calls.

Plenty of sounds and little to show you in the way of sights.
This is what the nest looks like from the back, which is where I was, tucked between the trees. I guess the action was on the Whaling Station Bay side.
June 21, 10:48 am

At one point I thought I heard some different screeps, just a little lower and rougher... But I'm not sure. There is at least one good loud eaglet in this nest, and just possibly there might be two.

winterwren
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« Post / Reply #22 on: July 07, 2016, 09:24:00 PM »

Yesterday, July 6, I returned to the same spot. Again I could hear screeping from time to time. I saw a big flap of wing once but wasn't able to click the shutter fast enough to catch it.

Again it seemed to me that some screeps were higher and fainter than others. A couple of times I thought I heard the two kinds of screep close enough together that they had to be produced by two different birds, but a few more minutes would pass and I doubted the accuracy of my perceptions.

After an hour I got lucky. Someone showed a wing...
July 6, 12:50

... Then came out to peek over the nest rim.

Look at the wing feathers, still partly in their sheaths!
Click on the picture to see them better.

Still just one eaglet visible!

Tigerlady105
HEGPS

« Post / Reply #23 on: July 07, 2016, 10:26:27 PM »

Thank you for pointing out the wing feather sheaths, wren.  Nice to see them so clearly. nod

Commit random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir
jeavverhey

« Post / Reply #24 on: July 08, 2016, 06:48:54 AM »

It is nice to know that there are two eaglets. I am wondering if the smaller weaker screening means that the younger one is failing to thrive?
winterwren
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« Post / Reply #25 on: July 08, 2016, 09:30:53 PM »

Not sure, Jeav. It may simply mean that there is a female, with a deeper voice, with a little brother who would have a higher voice. AJL told us that the first-born eaglet is statistically more likely to be female. The first one has a day or two of advance in development, and yes, she might be better fed.
Both sounds carried quite well. The difference was small enough to make me wonder if I was imagining things. I'm still not positive that there are actually two eaglets.
Faerie Gardener

« Post / Reply #26 on: July 11, 2016, 01:01:27 PM »

Awesome series of photos! Thanks so much, wren!

"In all things of Nature there is something of the Marvelous"  -Aristotle

"A garden is never as good as it will be next year" -Anon
boonibarb
HEGPS
Forum Guide

Canada Canada

« Post / Reply #27 on: August 13, 2016, 09:01:00 AM »

We walked on this beach yesterday, along Texada Drive towards Helliwell & i was hearing an Eaglet calling!
At one point i walked to the end of the road, where i heard the call, but looking & looking, i was not able to spot them.

wooohoooo!
winterwren
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« Post / Reply #28 on: August 13, 2016, 09:12:30 PM »

Neighbours tell me that there was one eaglet on that nest. I think I have more photos of it that I had forgotten to post.
This is the second time this year that I get fooled by what sounds like 2 different eaglet voices!  lol

There was another interesting story that the neighbours told me... They used to leave chicken skins and other meat scraps pretty close to their house, by the shore, for the eagles to find. They did that for years, and the scraps never stayed long. Now they are not picked up. So they think that maybe both partners of this nest have changed in the last year or two, and the new eagles are more shy about approaching a human dwelling.
Pages:  1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

* Theme Changer

Forum Default

Permanently