HEGPS - Our Nature Zone
April 21, 2018, 10:17:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register Website Webcam Facebook  
collapse
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nest 25 - Seawright - 2015-2016 season  (Read 4843 times)
boonibarb
HEGPS
Forum Guide

Canada Canada

« on: November 03, 2015, 10:20:24 AM »

Nest #25 is on private property, in a rather short Tree, or maybe it is just that the Nest isn*t that high up from the ground.
The Tree is on a high bank, overlooking rock shelf beaches that go out a long way at low tide.
The bank the Nest is on is on the shore of Little Tribune Bay, & you can see Tribune Bay, the other side of the bay where High Salal housing group is, & you can also see Helliwell Provincial Park & Lasqueti Island with her Sisters Lighthouse that we also see from the cam.
In other words, this is a fabulous spot for a Nest.
There are so many other Nests in this area, but it is a very large area.

i believe last year wren discovered at least one Eaglet in this territory?
She gets lots of good observations & fotos from the water!
Read last season*s observations, & see all wren*s great fotos, plus find links to past seasons here.

wooohoooo!
boonibarb
HEGPS
Forum Guide

Canada Canada

« Post / Reply #1 on: November 03, 2015, 10:46:59 AM »

Last night i got a wildlife rescue call from a woman who lives on Seawright near this Nest*s territory!
She left a rather panicked message on my answering machine, & i sure recognized the adrenaline she was feeling!
She had heard crashing sounds, & saw big Eagle wings, & heard terrible sounds, like the Eagles were in pain.
At first i panicked myself, it was dark already, how would i rescue two injured Eagles in the dark?
Then the memories came back, of similar situations, where Eagles had challenged each other & gotten caught in a talon lock & spin with each other.
Hopefully one lets go before they hit the Trees & the ground, but sometimes they are so pumped on adrenaline that they don*t let go & get caught in the Trees locked together or hit the ground locked.
i remember one rescue where this had happened, two had been locked on the ground near Tribune Bay Outdoor Education Center, for over an hour, & the screeching sounds were just terrible!
i had never heard sounds like that.
As i described all this to her, it really fit with what she had seen & heard.
She went back with a flashlight, & they seemed to be gone.
She is going to call this morning if she sees any sign of them, & she hasn*t called, so it seems the Eagles must have unlocked & taken off again.
Eagles can get terrible injury from this, talon punctures, gashes, bone breaks, bruising, so not a situation to be taken lightly!
But i can*t help unless one is down on the ground & we are able to capture, so i hope these two are okay!

Here is the link to a similar story!

Cellphone video sent to me by Gregg, of two Eagles talon-locked in Trees in Helliwell!

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fm4x-eV0RzY" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fm4x-eV0RzY</a>

wooohoooo!
Cawatcher
HEGPS

United States United States

« Post / Reply #2 on: November 03, 2015, 11:03:57 AM »

Wow booni, seems fairly common occurance
boonibarb
HEGPS
Forum Guide

Canada Canada

« Post / Reply #3 on: May 18, 2016, 10:45:43 AM »

Yesterday we did a trek out to Nest #25 from Little Trib.
i was told there were five dead Sea Lions in this area & i wanted to go check this out.
i have been reporting these finds to DFO, & i like to send pictures to document how many there are, & when.
i found the two i had already seen near the Little Tribune Bay Nest, plus one long dead Seal, but i never spotted any more Sea Lions.
They blend into the beach so that they are almost not noticeable, but they never escape Otto*s nose.  mhihi
As we passed by under the Nest Tree, i noticed all these little poop shots everywhere on the beach.
There was a definite Bird smell to the area, too.
i figured the poops were from adults perched in the Trees after eating.
On our way back, i was drawn to the area under the Nest Tree again.
There is that Bird smell again & all those poopshots.
The Nest Tree is on a high vertical cliff, just hanging onto the edge, which is gradually crumbling away, down onto the beach.
Here we are looking straight up the cliff, & you can see the huge Nest on the left side of the Tree.
If you click the foto, it takes you to my flickr page of the foto & then click it again so you can scroll around & see the Nest up close.
The roots of this big Tree are already over the edge of the cliff, & look how huge they are.

may 17 2016 13:49 - Nest # 25

Here i have zoomed in on the Nest so you can see it better.

As i was standing there looking straight up with my camera i heard the very noticeable WHOOSH of an Eagle doing a steep dive from on high, right over my head, so i figured one of the adults had arrived, though i never spotted one.
Meanwhile, i was checking out all the poopshots.

Suddenly i was sure i was hearing a little Eaglet peep!
There were Starlings nesting under the Nest, i figured i must be hearing them instead, but then i heard another peep, this one louder!
Perhaps this youngster was talking to the adult.
i waited around but didn*t hear the peeping again.
i was hoping to record the sound.
So, we walked back again towards Little Trib.
i found this neat looking thing on the beach!
Looks like the cartilage or bones inside a Fish tail!
i never knew they looked like this.

may 17 2016 14:00 - Fish tail & remains

As we walked away, Otto had the remains in his mouth & was chewing away...  mhihi

i kept looking back to see if i could see the Nest from this angle but i wasn*t sure so i took a foto of what i thought might be it & it turned out there was an adult there!
i think the Nest is just below her, against the trunk of the Tree.

may 17 2016 14:04 - adult on Nest # 25 Tree

It is really drying up fast but there are some areas of the bank that still have water running down.
There are lots of these Flowers, which i just love.
If you click the foto to look at it large, you can see the red markings in the centers of them.

may 17 2016 14:16 - Monkey-face Flowers

heartssmiles

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77MeVjpQPO0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77MeVjpQPO0</a>

Looking up the bank i noticed a rainbow ring around the Sun!
i tried to capture it with a foto, not easy.

may 17 2016 14:20 - circle of colour around the Sun

link to my fotos page -  

https://www.flickr.com/photos/43214021@N08/

wooohoooo!
Tigerlady105
HEGPS

« Post / Reply #4 on: May 18, 2016, 09:46:26 PM »

I can just barely see part of the rainbow... would have missed it if you didn't point it out.

love

Commit random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir
boonibarb
HEGPS
Forum Guide

Canada Canada

« Post / Reply #5 on: July 20, 2016, 08:50:13 PM »

After visiting the Dunlop Nest here, i stopped by Nest #25 to see what was going on with the Nest there.
There were people there, but they welcomed me in & told me what they had been seeing.
They said there are two Eaglets & they are both flying already!
i thought for sure they*d been mistaken, but as i walked towards the Nest Tree i flushed one of the Eaglets & sure enough they were flying!
They did a loop over my head & landed further along the bank to the right, a bit towards Dunlop Nest.
i could see no other Eagles.
They told me that morning they had seen five Eaglets in the field of the chicken farm! & that they were all tearing apart something with white feathers.
Then i remembered as i was driving down the road, the chicken farm truck passed me with all their white chickens in orange cages.
i bet he was on the way to town with them, & perhaps there were some casualties that he put out in the field for the Eagles.
So five youngsters?
Who were they all?
& was one of them the third Eaglet i spotted in the Dunlop Nest Tree?

link to my fotos page - 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/43214021@N08/

wooohoooo!
amazedbyeagles

« Post / Reply #6 on: July 21, 2016, 08:53:08 AM »

Love puzzles like this!  Thanks for sharing!!! love
Cawatcher
HEGPS

« Post / Reply #7 on: July 21, 2016, 07:50:25 PM »

Super sleuthes to the  job!
Pages: [1]   Go Up