Author Topic: Nest 25 - Seawright - 2015-2016 season  (Read 6191 times)

Offline boonibarb

• HEGPS
  • Forum Guide
    • my flickr photos
Nest 25 - Seawright - 2015-2016 season
« on: November 03, 2015, 10:20:24 AM »

Nest #25 is on private property, in a rather short Tree, or maybe it is just that the Nest isn*t that high up from the ground.
The Tree is on a high bank, overlooking rock shelf beaches that go out a long way at low tide.
The bank the Nest is on is on the shore of Little Tribune Bay, & you can see Tribune Bay, the other side of the bay where High Salal housing group is, & you can also see Helliwell Provincial Park & Lasqueti Island with her Sisters Lighthouse that we also see from the cam.
In other words, this is a fabulous spot for a Nest.
There are so many other Nests in this area, but it is a very large area.

i believe last year wren discovered at least one Eaglet in this territory?
She gets lots of good observations & fotos from the water!
Read last season*s observations, & see all wren*s great fotos, plus find links to past seasons here.
wooohoooo!

Offline boonibarb

• HEGPS
  • Forum Guide
    • my flickr photos
Re: Nest 25 - Seawright - 2015-2016 season
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2015, 10:46:59 AM »

Last night i got a wildlife rescue call from a woman who lives on Seawright near this Nest*s territory!
She left a rather panicked message on my answering machine, & i sure recognized the adrenaline she was feeling!
She had heard crashing sounds, & saw big Eagle wings, & heard terrible sounds, like the Eagles were in pain.
At first i panicked myself, it was dark already, how would i rescue two injured Eagles in the dark?
Then the memories came back, of similar situations, where Eagles had challenged each other & gotten caught in a talon lock & spin with each other.
Hopefully one lets go before they hit the Trees & the ground, but sometimes they are so pumped on adrenaline that they don*t let go & get caught in the Trees locked together or hit the ground locked.
i remember one rescue where this had happened, two had been locked on the ground near Tribune Bay Outdoor Education Center, for over an hour, & the screeching sounds were just terrible!
i had never heard sounds like that.
As i described all this to her, it really fit with what she had seen & heard.
She went back with a flashlight, & they seemed to be gone.
She is going to call this morning if she sees any sign of them, & she hasn*t called, so it seems the Eagles must have unlocked & taken off again.
Eagles can get terrible injury from this, talon punctures, gashes, bone breaks, bruising, so not a situation to be taken lightly!
But i can*t help unless one is down on the ground & we are able to capture, so i hope these two are okay!

Here is the link to a similar story!

Cellphone video sent to me by Gregg, of two Eagles talon-locked in Trees in Helliwell!

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fm4x-eV0RzY" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fm4x-eV0RzY</a>
wooohoooo!

Offline Cawatcher

• HEGPS
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2015, 11:03:57 AM »
Wow booni, seems fairly common occurance

Offline boonibarb

• HEGPS
  • Forum Guide
    • my flickr photos
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2016, 10:45:43 AM »

Yesterday we did a trek out to Nest #25 from Little Trib.
i was told there were five dead Sea Lions in this area & i wanted to go check this out.
i have been reporting these finds to DFO, & i like to send pictures to document how many there are, & when.
i found the two i had already seen near the Little Tribune Bay Nest, plus one long dead Seal, but i never spotted any more Sea Lions.
They blend into the beach so that they are almost not noticeable, but they never escape Otto*s nose.  :mhihi
As we passed by under the Nest Tree, i noticed all these little poop shots everywhere on the beach.
There was a definite Bird smell to the area, too.
i figured the poops were from adults perched in the Trees after eating.
On our way back, i was drawn to the area under the Nest Tree again.
There is that Bird smell again & all those poopshots.
The Nest Tree is on a high vertical cliff, just hanging onto the edge, which is gradually crumbling away, down onto the beach.
Here we are looking straight up the cliff, & you can see the huge Nest on the left side of the Tree.
If you click the foto, it takes you to my flickr page of the foto & then click it again so you can scroll around & see the Nest up close.
The roots of this big Tree are already over the edge of the cliff, & look how huge they are.

may 17 2016 13:49 - Nest # 25

Here i have zoomed in on the Nest so you can see it better.

As i was standing there looking straight up with my camera i heard the very noticeable WHOOSH of an Eagle doing a steep dive from on high, right over my head, so i figured one of the adults had arrived, though i never spotted one.
Meanwhile, i was checking out all the poopshots.

Suddenly i was sure i was hearing a little Eaglet peep!
There were Starlings nesting under the Nest, i figured i must be hearing them instead, but then i heard another peep, this one louder!
Perhaps this youngster was talking to the adult.
i waited around but didn*t hear the peeping again.
i was hoping to record the sound.
So, we walked back again towards Little Trib.
i found this neat looking thing on the beach!
Looks like the cartilage or bones inside a Fish tail!
i never knew they looked like this.

may 17 2016 14:00 - Fish tail & remains

As we walked away, Otto had the remains in his mouth & was chewing away...  :mhihi

i kept looking back to see if i could see the Nest from this angle but i wasn*t sure so i took a foto of what i thought might be it & it turned out there was an adult there!
i think the Nest is just below her, against the trunk of the Tree.

may 17 2016 14:04 - adult on Nest # 25 Tree

It is really drying up fast but there are some areas of the bank that still have water running down.
There are lots of these Flowers, which i just love.
If you click the foto to look at it large, you can see the red markings in the centers of them.

may 17 2016 14:16 - Monkey-face Flowers

:hearts2

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77MeVjpQPO0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77MeVjpQPO0</a>

Looking up the bank i noticed a rainbow ring around the Sun!
i tried to capture it with a foto, not easy.

may 17 2016 14:20 - circle of colour around the Sun

link to my fotos page -  

https://www.flickr.com/photos/43214021@N08/
wooohoooo!

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2016, 09:46:26 PM »
I can just barely see part of the rainbow... would have missed it if you didn't point it out.

:eclove
Commit random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir

Offline boonibarb

• HEGPS
  • Forum Guide
    • my flickr photos
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2016, 08:50:13 PM »

After visiting the Dunlop Nest here, i stopped by Nest #25 to see what was going on with the Nest there.
There were people there, but they welcomed me in & told me what they had been seeing.
They said there are two Eaglets & they are both flying already!
i thought for sure they*d been mistaken, but as i walked towards the Nest Tree i flushed one of the Eaglets & sure enough they were flying!
They did a loop over my head & landed further along the bank to the right, a bit towards Dunlop Nest.
i could see no other Eagles.
They told me that morning they had seen five Eaglets in the field of the chicken farm! & that they were all tearing apart something with white feathers.
Then i remembered as i was driving down the road, the chicken farm truck passed me with all their white chickens in orange cages.
i bet he was on the way to town with them, & perhaps there were some casualties that he put out in the field for the Eagles.
So five youngsters?
Who were they all?
& was one of them the third Eaglet i spotted in the Dunlop Nest Tree?

link to my fotos page - 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/43214021@N08/
wooohoooo!

Offline amazedbyeagles

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2016, 08:53:08 AM »
Love puzzles like this!  Thanks for sharing!!! :eclove

Offline Cawatcher

• HEGPS
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2016, 07:50:25 PM »
Super sleuthes to the  job!