HEGPS - Our Nature Zone
July 19, 2018, 02:15:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register Website Webcam Facebook  
collapse
Pages:  1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Helliwell Nest - 2015-2016 Season  (Read 12634 times)
Cawatcher
HEGPS

United States United States

« Post / Reply #60 on: June 22, 2016, 09:48:19 PM »

Ah yes see thank you booni
winterwren
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« Post / Reply #61 on: July 28, 2016, 11:28:51 PM »

Today I went to check the Helliwell nest. I checked both the old site, the one Booni photographed on June 20, and the newer nest that the eagles used last year.

I saw one adult eagle near the new nest. From the beach and from inside the park boundary it's hard to see the new nest tree. I also checked along the shore a ways in case we had a flying eaglet.

No noise and nothing seen. I met some children who were visiting at the house near the nest, and they told me that they had not heard any eaglets this year.
winterwren
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« Post / Reply #62 on: July 29, 2016, 09:57:22 PM »

Here is a photo of the adult eagle I found near the newer nest site, by the shore.
Note the dirty face...

July 28, 11: am

winterwren
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« Post / Reply #63 on: September 02, 2016, 09:01:51 PM »

A couple of weeks ago I had a nice conversation with one of the neighbours of this nest. She says the eagles "deserted" the new nest this year.
The plot thickens!
Already, through the summer, I had on my mind Booni's sighting of two eagles on the old nest tree, the one by the big mossy maple.
I went by there a few times and always stopped to check if anyone was home there... Just in case...
I never had any luck there.

So after my telephone conversation I was fairly sure that there had been no eaglets here this year. I sure was confused as to where the nest might be, though.

And then...

On August 25, just a week ago, I paddled past Helliwell Park, on my way to Flora Islet.
I heard screeping!  eek!

Way up in a tree, near the second beach, was an eaglet of the year!
I tried to get some photos but it was windy and wavy, plus the light right in my face, so I couldn't get a clear shot; just a good enough record to confirm that this indeed was a juvenile. (As if there was any doubt from the sound...  mhihi )

A late Helliwell eaglet from the old nest site, or from a new nest? Or a migrating eaglet, resting on his or her way somewhere?
On my return two hours later, I could still hear the sounds but still could not get a good angle for a photo.
This time I also found an adult eagle on the beach, so here's the best photo I could get against the glare.

Helliwell Park, August 25, 2:35 pm

jeavverhey

« Post / Reply #64 on: September 03, 2016, 04:07:39 AM »

Good for you Wren!   thumbup persistence pays off once again. You are a wonder and the eagles are beautiful. Thanks for sharing with us.  love
Cawatcher
HEGPS

United States United States

« Post / Reply #65 on: September 03, 2016, 06:28:13 AM »

Great luck wren! music to the ears I am sure  big grin
Pages:  1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

* Theme Changer

Forum Default

Permanently