HEGPS - Our Nature Zone
July 23, 2018, 01:02:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register Website Webcam Facebook  
collapse
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Winters' Nest - 2015-2016 season  (Read 4610 times)
winterwren
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« on: October 19, 2015, 07:21:47 PM »

This thread is for discussions and stories and pictures about Winters' Nest and its territory and the critters who live therein.

This nest is not named for a season; it is named to honour a Mr. Winters, may he enjoy peace and good health. Hence, Winters', not Winter's.

I found this nest in August 2014, after several attempts at finding something in this area over the years. There was one healthy eaglet standing in the nest. Last year the nest was occupied but I found no sign of an eaglet.

The nest is in a remote area of the island, among a jumble of seaside boulders and away from roads. Nearby is a creek that dries out most summers, Ford Creek. Downes Point separates the territory from that of the Dunlop Point pair.

Click here to see the postings from last year.
winterwren
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« Post / Reply #1 on: October 20, 2015, 11:48:26 PM »

On October 5, I was paddling back from Norris Rocks, approaching Downes Point from the direction of Winters' Nest.

I kept hearing rattle calls and eventually found the source: two Kingfishers, having some kind of interaction in mid-air.

Love, or war?

October 5, 4:22:10

Ok, not love.
This is serious business.
One of them is beaking the other and driving her down to the surface of the water!
4:22:11

For a moment both birds are in the water. Then one of them gets airborne and for a few seconds is pushing the other down below the surface.
4:22:12

Now both rise again and right away they're facing off. Both show a rusty band below their dark collar: so it looks like two females.
4:22:15

Now they start chasing each other all over the bay.
4:22:18

Back and forth, back and forth.
4:22:29

Tigerlady105
HEGPS

United States United States

« Post / Reply #2 on: October 20, 2015, 11:58:34 PM »

Fascinating documentation, wren.  Territorial fight? 

Commit random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir
winterwren
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« Post / Reply #3 on: October 21, 2015, 12:11:17 AM »

The chase continues as I paddle on. The two Kingfishers, still chasing each other with constant rattle calls, rise higher up to the level of the trees and seem to annoy an eagle who was perched there. There was no other visible provocation for the eagle's calls.
October 5, 4:26 pm

From BNA Online: Kingfishers...
"Solitary except while breeding, both males and females of this species vigorously defend their territories along shorelines of lakes or rivers throughout the year. They do this with strident vocalizations, especially a reverberating mechanical rattle, and by aerial chases."

So, yes, Tigerlady, looks like a territorial fight. 
winterwren
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« Post / Reply #4 on: May 14, 2016, 05:34:03 PM »

I paddled past this nest today with JefferyB and Flicker!

We saw two eagles take off but it happened so fast, even Eagle Eye Jeff couldn't tell for sure where they had flown from, but it seemed to me that one had flown from the nest.

On the way back, we stopped further away and watched with binoculars. I thought I was seeing a white head in the nest so I took a few photos to make sure.

Sure enough, someone is incubating or brooding in there! The other eagle sat in the tallest nearby tree - quite likely this nest's Babysitting Tree.

Faerie Gardener

« Post / Reply #5 on: May 14, 2016, 05:46:51 PM »

Very Cool!  I'd say there were 3 pair of Eagle Eyes on your boat!

"In all things of Nature there is something of the Marvelous"  -Aristotle

"A garden is never as good as it will be next year" -Anon
amazedbyeagles

« Post / Reply #6 on: May 14, 2016, 06:46:03 PM »

How fun to have companions on your paddle!  Wish I was there too!  Thanks for sharing! :-) love
winterwren
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« Post / Reply #7 on: May 31, 2016, 08:50:27 PM »

Photos from May 14...

This is Winters' Nest, on its huge tree by the water...
Click on the photo to see the blurry white head half hidden in the branches.

May 14, 12:45

winterwren
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« Post / Reply #8 on: May 31, 2016, 08:58:19 PM »

We were just coming back from Norris Rocks, where we saw quite a few Harlequins. Only the non-breeders stay behind at this time of year; the breeding adults are away to their nesting grounds.

May 14, 12:15

jeavverhey

« Post / Reply #9 on: June 01, 2016, 06:20:13 AM »

Lovely Wren - I have never seen those pretty birds here in Ontario. And in BC I have only seen from a great distance. Your photos show how colourful they are and the details of their pattern. Thank you for sharing.  love
Tigerlady105
HEGPS

« Post / Reply #10 on: June 01, 2016, 03:05:18 PM »

They have such beautiful feather patterns!   nod

Commit random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir
winterwren
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« Post / Reply #11 on: July 28, 2016, 11:24:07 PM »

I went to check this nest a couple of days ago.
I saw one adult eagle perched on Downes Point, a fair distance from the nest.
No noise in the area, and as usual I checked the nest for signs of an eaglet: poopshots on the nest branches, and bits of down clinging everywhere.
I didn't see any of that.

From there, I could hear the Olsen Farm eaglet screeping.
I continued on offshore to Norris Rocks; most of the way there I could still hear the Olsen Farm eaglet. So if an eaglet had called from Winters' Nest I should have heard that. But it didn't happen.
On my return trip, over an hour later, I checked the area again. Sured seemed quiet, especially compared with next door.
So it seems like these eagles are taking a break this year.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

* Theme Changer

Forum Default

Permanently