Author Topic: Lunar Rock nest - 2015 season  (Read 11154 times)

Offline winterwren

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
Re: Lunar Rock nest - 2015 season
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2015, 10:33:22 PM »
I re-checked this territory today. I could hear the remaining eaglet high in a tree but could not find him. It was mid-day, and nap time, I suppose. The guardian told me that he had seen him fly with his parents regularly this week.

There was a lot of restlessness in the territory, just as we've been seeing on the cam over here. Lots of fly-bys, calling, occasional chases but no serious conflict. All the outside eagles I saw flying by during the two hours I spent nearby were adults, and both local adults were engaged in patrols much of the time. The eaglet stayed hidden up in a tree somewhere.

The stiff breeze made for some spectacular flying.

Offline madrona

• HEGPS
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2015, 09:59:04 AM »
Things are looking good for the Lunar Rock eaglet, thanks to HEART, winterwren and booni for rescuing this eaglet, and Dawn for taking care of its transport to MARS (and thanks to MARS, of course).   Rescue story here.

Yesterday Dawn and I visited MARS and inquired whether there was any news of this eaglet.  Luckily it was a quiet day there, and we were able to spend some time with Reg who filled us in on the eaglet's progress, and took us to the flight cage so we could get some pictures to show you.

She is looking quite 'filled out' after her emaciated state when rescued.  What a gorgeous eaglet:

"Lunar" is in the small flight cage with an adult bald eagle, who is acting as foster mum, and another eaglet that fell from its nest and had so many shattered wing bones that it is unreleasable and will become an 'ambassador bird' for MARS.  The adult eagle came to MARS covered in oil on July 8, and has cleaned up nicely.  All three seemed calm and Reg said that they have all bonded well.  He said that when Lunar was first introduced to the other two, she (he thinks it might be female) immediately went to the adult female and appeared to almost hug her by wrapping a wing around her and pushing the other eaglet out of the way.

Below is Lunar on the left, with her two companions:

And here she is with her foster mum:

She will probably be going to North Island Wildlife soon, so that she can practise flying in their huge flight cage.  It is still early days to think of releasing her as there will not be much food around for a couple of months.

Note - After conferring with Dawn, we determined that the name of the adult eagle was not "Nootka" so I have removed that name from my earlier post here.  That eagle is now at NIWRA, I believe.  Lunar's foster mother's name escapes us, but she was rescued from Alert Bay, covered in oil and grime according to MARS FB.
   Wildness reminds us what it means to be human, what we are connected to
      rather than what we are separate from. - Terry Tempest Williams

Offline boonibarb

• HEGPS
  • Forum Guide
    • my flickr photos
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2015, 10:13:51 AM »

Wow, what a fabulous report, & such good news, thank you you two!  :heart
wooohoooo!

Offline boodle317

• HEGPS
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2015, 11:22:47 AM »
what a fantastic report!  Lunar looks wonderful!

I have a question though, about Lunar's stepmom.  If she came in because she was covered in oil, why now, that she is all clean is she still in care?

Offline Rajame

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2015, 11:29:37 AM »
There are no adequate words to thank HEART (aka Booni and Wren) and MARS for the care of these precious eagles. And a HUGE Thank You to you Madrona for bringing us more on the story.

:hearts
Your soul lights up the room as if the sun is beaming directly.

Offline boonibarb

• HEGPS
  • Forum Guide
    • my flickr photos
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2015, 09:23:33 AM »
I have a question though, about Lunar's stepmom.  If she came in because she was covered in oil, why now, that she is all clean is she still in care?

boodle, here is a post on MARS*s facebook page from july 22 that hopefully answers your question.

The oil covered eagle from Alert Bay is doing very well. She is now out in the flight pen and flies great. Daily spray baths should encourage preening to restore the waterproofing to her feathers... then she can go back home!
wooohoooo!

Offline Cawatcher

• HEGPS
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2015, 10:21:17 AM »
This is the M.A.R.S. Story of the oiled  Eagle

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmRM1Zq_1zc" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmRM1Zq_1zc</a>
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 07:07:47 PM by boonibarb »

Offline boodle317

• HEGPS
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2015, 10:40:34 AM »
boodle, here is a post on MARS*s facebook page from july 22 that hopefully answers your question.

ahhh !   Thank you, I didn't realize that the waterproofing required restoration..but of course, now, it makes perfect sense.

ETA:  TY for the video Cali

Offline Faerie Gardener

« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2015, 05:54:10 PM »
This is such a sweet story!  Thank You   :heart :heart
"In all things of Nature there is something of the Marvelous"  -Aristotle

"A garden is never as good as it will be next year" -Anon

Offline luvthebirds

• HEGPS
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2015, 05:12:54 PM »
 :heart
Nurture yourself with Nature - luvthebirds
(and don't forget to screep for what you need)

Offline boonibarb

• HEGPS
  • Forum Guide
    • my flickr photos
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2015, 06:48:45 PM »

Yesterday we were walking where the Belcarra & Lunar Rock territories meet.
i could hear an Eaglet for the longest time, calling, as we got closer & closer.
There was also an adult nearby, calling.
i finally spotted them when we came to the end of the road.
This Eaglet could well have been the sibling of the Eaglet wren & i captured, who is now at MARS.
So, good to see this sibling doing well, up in the Trees with their parent nearby.

link to my fotos page -  

https://www.flickr.com/photos/43214021@N08/
wooohoooo!

Offline boonibarb

• HEGPS
  • Forum Guide
    • my flickr photos
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2015, 09:51:55 AM »

Yesterday Reg called & left me an update about Lunar!
She has gained a kilo & a half & is now 4.58 kilos.
She was being shipped to Robin at North Island Wildlife Rescue Association for flight commissioning & will be held there til the Fish show up in the Rivers.
She will likely be released at Qualicum River once Fish start to come in the fall.
Maj was doing the delivering yesterday.
wooohoooo!

Offline madrona

• HEGPS
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2015, 12:12:43 PM »
Thanks for passing on this great news about Lunar, booni.  It's great when things work out well.

So now Lunar is transitioning from MARS' small flight cage to NIWRA'S huge one - and no doubt she will be with several other eagles.  What an adventure she is having!  And hopefully when there are fish around in the local rivers she will head out, healthy and prepared for her really big adventure into the wild!  :thumbup:
   Wildness reminds us what it means to be human, what we are connected to
      rather than what we are separate from. - Terry Tempest Williams

Offline auroradawn

• HEGPS
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2015, 01:21:51 PM »
booni, that is just super news.

Offline boonibarb

• HEGPS
  • Forum Guide
    • my flickr photos
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2015, 10:44:17 AM »

Some really good news!

Hi. Sandy here, from Mountainaire Avian Rescue. The baby eagle from Lunar Rocks on Hornby is coming back to MARS today. We plan to release her tomorrow:) Not 100% sure of location just yet. Definitely somewhere where there are lots of fish in the river. Reg thinks maybe Bear Creek Park. Its lovely. There will be photos for sure!
wooohoooo!