Author Topic: Nest #20 Whaling Station Bay - 2014-2015 season  (Read 40967 times)

Offline boodle317

• HEGPS
Re: Nest #20 Whaling Station Bay - 2014-2015 season
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2015, 04:53:38 AM »
thank you booni, wren and Dawn!  great work

Offline ivani

« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2015, 06:59:55 AM »
thanks Booni e Wren!
Wonderful videos!
 :heart :heart
iff, ivani

Offline auroradawn

• HEGPS
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2015, 08:08:54 AM »
Once we got to MARS we were met by one of the interns & Reg.  The eaglet weighed in at approx. 2.7kg, after that it was examination time, feet, legs, wings, shoulders & crop, from what I gleaned all was well physically, the eaglet was very alert, bright eyed and appeared very curious of the surroundings.  The crop was totally flat & empty, so this poor little one had not had anything to eat for a while.  As I was leaving he/she was being dusted for parasites & there was a tube of what looked like orange juice ready for hydration (I decided not to stay for that process).

Big thanks to booni, wren & the guy who transported over to Buckley Bay, also to MARS for their excellent care.  Let's hope this little one will be OK and eventually have a wonderful free flying future.

Here are a few photo's of the process, a little on the dark side as obviously I wouldn't use the flash.

Offline Rajame

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2015, 08:38:39 AM »
Thank you so much for your good work! So glad that there is cooperation all around. I am wondering if citizens on Hornby Island have Booni and Wren on speed dial aka in their address book marked "Favorite?"  :ecwink
Your soul lights up the room as if the sun is beaming directly.

Offline MaggiesMom

« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2015, 10:23:57 AM »
really a good looking eaglet!  Hope all goes well and he/she comes back to Hornby soon.  Great job, all of you HEART folks - and Reg of course.
"If you slow things down, you notice things you hadn't seen before." - Robert Wilson, director, author, videographer

Offline boonibarb

• HEGPS
  • Forum Guide
    • my flickr photos
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2015, 10:25:24 AM »

Ha ha, thanks Rajame!

& thanks Dawn for the MARS update to this rescue!

Thanks also, to the dedicated neighbours of Nest #20, who took the time to go to Buckley Bay & back, late in the afternoon of a hot day, & who refused financial compensation for their ferry fares!
They were expecting to go way earlier in the day than how it worked out, & were having a dinner party that night.
Fortunately they got back for it just in time.

Now, thank you to the neighbours on the other side of the Nest, the ones with all the poopshots on their Salal & car!
They arrived to find this little Eaglet standing on their deck.
This is what wren heard from them - The eaglet was trying to walk into the kitchen. She said her first thought when she arrived home yesterday was, ‘who has left a stuffed bird on my doorstep?’ Then it moved.
One of them showed me the fotos he*d been able to get of this Eaglet, & offered to send them to me, when i wasn*t able to find the Eaglet yesterday morning.
He has given me permission to share his fantastic fotos of the Eaglet, in the woods under the Nest Tree.
The little Eaglet had a route being followed, & had been quite easy to approach & keep an eye on.
The little one was calling to their parents, & the parents were calling back.

Oh, yes, a couple more things about this Eaglet.
In the garage, with the door closed, the Eaglet had been found twice perched on something quite high, one time two & a half feet off the ground!
So the Eaglet was getting some lift with their fleaping.
The other thing, i believe when they opened the garage door for wren to complete the capture, the Eaglet was found mantling a running shoe!  :mhihi
This Eaglet sure endeared them self to everyone involved!

&, just a reminder, this is the SECOND time an Eaglet has needed rescue from this Nest!
The first time was a whole month later, & two years ago.
Read about that here.

Nest # 20 Eaglet by David Juricevich

link to my fotos page -  

https://flic.kr/p/v7SG61
wooohoooo!

Offline Cawatcher

• HEGPS
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2015, 10:28:57 AM »
Dawn Thank you for the update!  lol on the hasty exit stage left  :eclol So glad you could provide transportation

Booni Wow nice photos of the eaglet in the wild, by the rescuers! Can you imagine the topic at dinner that night  :thumbup:

Offline boonibarb

• HEGPS
  • Forum Guide
    • my flickr photos
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2015, 10:36:33 AM »

Nest # 20 Eaglet 7 by David Juricevich

The Eaglet seems to be focused on something here, look at the craned neck & erect head feathering!
i love the white head feather tips they have at this age, & notice all the lovely tassels on the newly-grown primary & secondary feathers!  :heart

link to my fotos page - 

https://flic.kr/p/usryY9
wooohoooo!

Offline Donnae

• HEGPS
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2015, 11:42:38 AM »
That is one beautiful and certain interesting eaglet!!!!  Thanks to all involved.... Booni, Wren, Dawn, MARS, and above all the neighbours that really
cared about this guy/gal!!!  Thanks Dawn for the update too.  Now to get him/her back to being healthy so he can come home to Hornby!!! I am sure most people on Hornby have Booni and Wren on speed dial... I sure would  :nod2

Way to go all!!!!!

Offline winterwren

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2015, 09:03:20 PM »
Here are photos I took on June 21, a full week before the eaglet took her unscheduled glide to the ground.

I took these photos from a neighbour's garden. I was told to 'just stand there by Henry Hudson for the best view.' Henry Hudson being a rose bush, of course.

I only managed to see one eaglet, but I could clearly hear two.
This eaglet has food clinging to his or her beak. We just missed a food delivery as we arrived.

June 21, 1:02 pm

While trying to get a better view of the eaglets, I kept being distracted by all the birds in that beautiful garden. Hummingbirds were doing the courtship dance, working on a second clutch of the summer perhaps? Here's a handsome Rufous male who paused just long enough.
1:10

A Spotted Towhee drank from a water dish, with a fledgling calling nonstop from the brush nearby.
1:12

Offline Cawatcher

• HEGPS
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2015, 09:09:42 PM »
thank you wen! what a way to be distracted  :mhihi

Offline winterwren

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2015, 09:28:05 PM »
Lol I'm always like that, Cali... "Oooh look! birds!"

Now here are the photos I took from another spot nearby, after the downed eaglet left for MARS. (The initial finder would like this eaglet to be known as Elizabeth, Lizzie for short, "because she looked so regal.") (If she turns out to be a male, we'll be in trouble.)

So, a while after maybe-Lizzie started on her next adventure off-island, after all the conversations and phone calls were done, I heard some screeps from the nest and was able to catch a glimpse of the second eaglet!

On the first picture we can see part of the sheaths of the flight feathers.
June 29, 2:54 pm

There is a lot of down clinging to the nest branches.
Shiny-eyed little one here...

Offline amazedbyeagles

« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2015, 08:29:58 AM »
Wonderful photos of the eaglet!  Wonderful organization and efforts for the rescue!  Thank you to Each of you who helped!!! :eclove

Offline crazy lady 38

« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2015, 08:40:17 AM »
Big Thank you to Booni, Wrennie, Dawn, Reg, and the neighbours who found, and then helped transport Eaglet.  Watched the video of Eaglet in Garage, sure was checking out the new Digs, probably wondered where in the world it was.  Glad it seems healthy and hope back to Hornby soon.

Offline winterwren

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2015, 10:27:44 AM »
I got some news from Maj. After being rehydrated at MARS, the eaglet maybe-Elizabeth was transferred to Orphaned Wildlife Rehabilitation (OWL) in Delta.

There, she will have access to a larger flight enclosure. She will also have a foster parent, an eagle named Curly. This is wonderful because Lizzie was getting too cosy with her neighbouring humans, despite their best efforts to keep her wild, during her sojourn on the ground. Now she will learn how to be an eagle.