HEGPS - Our Nature Zone
April 23, 2018, 12:34:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register Website Webcam Facebook  
collapse
Pages:  [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nest #20 Whaling Station Bay - 2014-2015 season  (Read 33976 times)
winterwren
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« on: January 11, 2015, 09:11:51 PM »

This is the thread for posting fotos, videos & discussion of Nest #20 Whaling Station.

This Nest is on Whaling Station Bay on properties that are very busy with people all summer.
The one neighbour of this Nest always talks to me about what he sees going on with his neighbour Eagles.
They are on a beautiful bay, with a lovely sandy family swimming beach.
The Nest is on the western edge of the Bay on a rocky sandstone point.
Around the corner & to the west from the sandy swimming beach is another rocky bay where the eagles do some of their fishing & hunting.
They catch Birds, even a White Goose was reported last year.
In 2012, the Eagles of this Nest took a break from nesting after a good part of their Nest got blown down in a wind storm.
They continued to build the Nest, but did not produce eggs.
In 2013, this Eagle pair raised two Eaglets, but one of them ended up grounded in the populated neighbourhood to the west of the Nest.

Last year, 2014, there was one eaglet in this nest. When Scootch left later than usual, we were watching to see which other eagle families were staying that late in the season, and this nest's family was one of them.
Last year's posts, and links to previous years, are here.

winterwren
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« Post / Reply #1 on: January 11, 2015, 09:21:56 PM »

A little paddle through this area on December 26. When I left Whaling station, two eagles were perched near the nest.
I returned an hour later and they were still there. I paddled to calm water in the little bay, and the sun peeked out of the clouds for a few minutes.

Middle Bay, December 26, 2:39

winterwren
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« Post / Reply #2 on: January 11, 2015, 09:31:50 PM »

In the same little sunny interval I have my third encounter with a Greater Yellowlegs in two days... Lucky me!

Middle Bay, December 26, 2:45

Mysterious light, sun almost gone.

winterwren
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« Post / Reply #3 on: February 14, 2015, 08:05:30 PM »

I was working inland near this nest today and I kept seeing eagles cruising by between this territory and Belcarra. There was one sub-adult with a dark terminal tail band that kept showing up and doing solo acrobatics. Also I repeatedly heard the rusty-hinge call of a youngster, seemingly coming from near this nest.

I quit work at 4 pm and headed to the beach and of course all was now quiet.

I disturbed a small flock of Buffleheads, with one Common Goldeneye among them. I always see them at the same spot, and I scouted out rocks that might serve as a blind. Indeed they came back while I walked further, so they do return to that spot when there are no disturbances!
February 14, 4:15 pm

As I rounded the point I spotted two eagles perched together above the nest.
Here's one of them, with something weird stuck to his or her beak. The other eagle is just below and to the left, obscured by some branches in this shot.
4:21

Here they are both... I'm thinking Dad on the right, Mom peering at me above the branches on the left.
4:25

winterwren
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« Post / Reply #4 on: February 14, 2015, 08:35:59 PM »

More photos of the denizens of Nest 20.

February 14, 4:26

Later on, from a different angle...
4:45

4:46

Cawatcher
HEGPS

United States United States

« Post / Reply #5 on: February 15, 2015, 08:39:48 AM »

smile Great captures of nest 20 Eagles wren!!
boonibarb
HEGPS
Forum Guide

Canada Canada

« Post / Reply #6 on: March 06, 2015, 10:15:42 AM »

We were walking down the road through this Nest territory on wednesday when i heard a terrific CRACK!!
i looked to the source of the sound & saw an adult Eagle with a HUGE stick in their feet!
The branch had three branches to it, all green & alive, & was a good three to four feet long!
The Eagle dropped the branch, perhaps because it was too heavy, or perhaps they were startled by me turning to look at them.
The branch was on the ground when we passed by a bit later.

wooohoooo!
winterwren
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« Post / Reply #7 on: March 25, 2015, 09:58:50 AM »

I was on the beach at Whaling Station Bay at about 12:45 yesterday (March 24) when I saw eagles heading off the shore. A small herring ball materialized, fairly close to shore. About 25 eagles were soon fishing from it. This lasted about 45 minutes.

We're still seeing some of the smaller seiners out there. I don't know what it means. Everyone I ask is confused.

winterwren
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« Post / Reply #8 on: June 22, 2015, 10:03:20 PM »

Yesterday I had a lovely invitation for tea near this nest. While the water boiled, I was shown a spot in the garden from which I could see the nest!

As soon as we parked, I could hear loud screeps.
At first I couldn't see anything, then a dark head appeared!
I just had time for a few photos.
The eaglet then stood tall and facing me, but behind some leaves - almost completely out of view.
I expected the next screeps to be loud and clear, since the eaglet was above the rim and facing me.
But no... The next calls were muffled... As if the caller was facing the other way.

So... Another eaglet?
This nest usually has twins.
The nest tree is right against the garage next door. My hosts told me that the owners aren't parking their car in the driveway these days because there is so much 'white rain' coming from the nest! They told me that Booni had checked the area and reported many, many poop shots.
I had a quick look. The whole area was dotted with white!
Enough poop for two eaglets, I would think!  lol
boonibarb
HEGPS
Forum Guide

Canada Canada

« Post / Reply #9 on: June 29, 2015, 07:52:32 PM »

i got messages from wren last evening.
She had gotten a call from the people who live under Nest #20.
They had found an Eaglet on the ground when they arrived at their place, june 27.
The next day they called MARS.
We waited for a call to go get him, but no one called.
i was going by the Nest neighbourhood this morning, so i stopped to talk to the people, & to take some assessment fotos of the Eaglet.
He was nowhere in sight!
But the people had all just seen him nearby.
On my way out, i checked one more place, the garage, & there was this gigantic brown thing standing in there.
The Eaglet!
He seemed calm & curious, checking out his surroundings, not fearful or running away.
So i took a few fotos & videos.

june 29 2015 09:29 - grounded Nest # 20 Whaling Station Eaglet

link to my fotos page - 

https://flic.kr/p/vo14c2

wooohoooo!
boonibarb
HEGPS
Forum Guide

Canada Canada

« Post / Reply #10 on: June 29, 2015, 07:56:09 PM »

june 29 2015 09:30 - grounded Nest # 20 Eaglet

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3ZZeRgolF8" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3ZZeRgolF8</a>

wooohoooo!
boonibarb
HEGPS
Forum Guide

Canada Canada

« Post / Reply #11 on: June 29, 2015, 07:57:53 PM »

june 29 2015 09:31 - grounded Nest # 20 Eaglet

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQ2zD1pAJ3g" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQ2zD1pAJ3g</a>

wooohoooo!
boonibarb
HEGPS
Forum Guide

Canada Canada

« Post / Reply #12 on: June 29, 2015, 08:03:47 PM »

june 29 2015 09:33 - grounded Nest # 20 Eaglet

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2gn3pUd4Vg" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2gn3pUd4Vg</a>

wren & i both had work today, but this Eaglet needed to get to MARS!
i called as soon as i got to work.
Reg answered.
He agreed, & gave the thumbs up that we capture this fella.
i got everything organized from work.
i called the neighbours & asked them to herd the Eaglet into the garage & close the door til we could get there.
That way he would be safe & wouldn*t go to the road or down the bank to the beach or get chased by a dog.
i had the kennel & towels with me.
wren came by after work & picked up the gear & went & captured him in the garage.
The nice neighbours offered to take him to Buckley Bay, where Dawn met them & brought the Eaglet to MARS.
Maybe wren & or Dawn would tell us what MARS said please?
i believe Dawn has pictures of the Eaglet at MARS?
& the people who found him have fotos they are sending to me, which i will ask permission to post here.

wooohoooo!
Donnae
HEGPS

Canada Canada

« Post / Reply #13 on: June 29, 2015, 08:17:50 PM »

Thank you Booni and Wren... also Dawn for getting this beautiful eaglet to MARS!!
Hopefully all goes well and he will be release in a while.
Cawatcher
HEGPS

United States United States

« Post / Reply #14 on: June 29, 2015, 08:57:47 PM »

heart To the rescue thank you for all involved  heart
                            thumbup
Pages:  [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

* Theme Changer

Forum Default

Permanently