HEGPS - Our Nature Zone
January 22, 2018, 09:15:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register Website Webcam Facebook  
collapse
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Winters' Nest - 2014-2015 season  (Read 6017 times)
winterwren
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« on: December 20, 2014, 01:47:20 AM »

This thread is for discussions and stories and pictures (also poetry, arguments, monographs, discourses and theses) about Winters' Nest and its territory and the critters who live therein.

This nest is not named for a season; it is named to honour a Mr. Winters, may he enjoy peace and good health. Hence, Winters', not Winter's.

I found this nest at the end of last summer, after several attempts at finding something in this area over the years. There was one healthy eaglet standing in the nest.

Click here to see the back story and the postings from last year.
winterwren
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« Post / Reply #1 on: December 20, 2014, 02:07:15 AM »

Way back on November 15, when there was still some daylight at 4 pm, I went for a little canoe trip through this territory.

Mishi and Wildkitten, who are both very fond of rocks, would greatly appreciate this area, as you'll soon see.

I'm not sure where the Dunlops' fishing grounds end and where the territory of the Winters start, but this here is Downes Point, a prominent point of land that bisects the area and hides each nest from the other.

The amazing rock formations start right at Downes Point. Here's a Pelagic Cormorant in a lovely setting. He is certainly not the only cormorant around, and the rocks have been well 'painted.'
The light is definitely better than on my previous trip through this territory.
November 15, 2:37 pm

Above the bay near Ford Creek... A familiar shape in the air: Red-tailed Hawk! I have seen them around here a few times.
2:44
winterwren
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« Post / Reply #2 on: December 20, 2014, 02:35:25 AM »

Surprise: Ford Creek, which dries up in the summer, was now a good-sized torrent (wish I could see it now after the monsoon rains).
November 15, 3:13

There were no eagles around when I first traversed the territory, and the sun was in my face; on the return trip an hour later I was treated to golden light playing on the sculpted sandstone...
4:17

...And an eagle sighting to boot.
This handsome one is perched close to the nest tree.
4:23

Looking down his or her beak at me as I approach.
4:24

winterwren
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« Post / Reply #3 on: December 20, 2014, 02:52:39 AM »

Here's the nest tree in its setting of huge conglomerate boulders mixed with wind-carved sandstone. Those boulders tower over me and dwarf that big old fir. Click on the picture to better see the nest.

November 15, 4:47

Here I'm abreast of the nest, looking back toward Downes Point.
4:48

Here's more of Mom and Dad Winters's playground.
4:55

4:57

winterwren
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« Post / Reply #4 on: December 20, 2014, 03:18:32 AM »

More rocks for Mishi and Wildkitten...
November 15, 4:58

The Winters's playground is also busy with seabirds.
Here's an oddly symmetrical gathering of Red-breasted Mergansers.
The one on the right seems to have a slightly deformed bill.
4:28

Two Horned Grebes near the creek, in crazy sunset light.
4:35

And one last shot of Downes Point in the fading light on the way home.
5:02

Sandor3

Canada Canada

« Post / Reply #5 on: December 20, 2014, 08:46:37 AM »

Winterwren, love the telling and photos of your adventures on your beautiful island!  I say again, you really should consider publishing a book of your photos and stories.  It is almost like we are in the canoe with you.....thank you for sharing!

"We tend to forget that happiness doesn't come as a result of getting something we don't have, but rather of recognizing and appreciating what we do have."    ~Frederick Koenig

"We aren't the only ones that live on the planet, but we act like it."  ~ Jane Goodall
amazedbyeagles

« Post / Reply #6 on: December 20, 2014, 11:18:39 AM »

Love the stories you tell of your adventures, Wren!  Wonderful way to share your beautiful home and the wildlife surrounding you!  Thanks so much for sharing!   love
Tigerlady105
HEGPS

United States United States

« Post / Reply #7 on: December 20, 2014, 05:32:46 PM »

Wonderful to see your excellent photos and comments, Wren.  The geology on Hornby Island and other locations nearby, is very interesting...Mother Nature's artwork!   nod

Commit random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir
linused

« Post / Reply #8 on: December 20, 2014, 11:12:37 PM »

Beautiful photos and stories Wren. That shot of the Mergansers has to be a one in a million
Rajame
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« Post / Reply #9 on: December 21, 2014, 09:01:17 AM »

heart

Your soul lights up the room as if the sun is beaming directly.
winterwren
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« Post / Reply #10 on: December 24, 2014, 08:49:27 PM »

This afternoon I was heading down Ford Cove Hill... and passing just above this nest.

Atop a tree just on the edge of the escarpment was a bird. Sort of looked like a young eagle but it seemed too small and the proportions were off.

The road is very narrow in that area and I knew I couldn't stop. But one second later it seemed as if my truck found by itself the one tiny pullout, just big enough for it.

Well.
Could it be?
Yes!
Another Red-tailed Hawk. Or maybe the same one I saw over the water in this area.
I had forgotten that my camera was adjusted at high ISO for woodland photography... Yikes!
But some of the photos turned out ok anyway.

December 24, 2:12 pm

OpieK

« Post / Reply #11 on: December 25, 2014, 05:04:38 PM »

Beautiful photos and stories, Wren - I remember similar rocks on our giant canoe adventure in June
winterwren
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« Post / Reply #12 on: March 25, 2015, 09:21:20 PM »

Paddling toward Winters' Nest, March 17.
There has been a very small herring spawn at Downes Point, and this is where hundreds of Harlequin Ducks have gathered.
There were also over a thousand American Wigeons in the shallows between Dunlop Point and Downes Point. Most of the wigeons took off before I even put my boat in the water. They spook so easily.

March 17, 6:04

This is what it looks like when you paddle out to sea in that area on a calm day.
It's so open. Nothing on the horizon and yet full of life all around.
6:12

Around Downes Point, and west.
Mom and Dad Winters were having a sunset nest visit.
6:40

winterwren
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« Post / Reply #13 on: June 26, 2015, 08:42:43 PM »

Another visit to Winters' Nest, June 14, this time with the company of the HMS Idahowa.

On one of the giant rocks that plunge straight into the ocean we found a beautiful eagle with a snow-white head.

June 14, 7:44 pm

Blink... We can see the pupil through the nictitating membrane.

Now here's the context...

We were very close to the nest. I took pictures from several angles but could not see any evidence of occupation. Few white splashes, no eaglet down clinging the the branches. An off year for this nest? I'd like to return once more just to be sure.

7:51

Cawatcher
HEGPS

« Post / Reply #14 on: June 26, 2015, 10:07:13 PM »

big grin Super outing winterwren!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

* Theme Changer

Forum Default

Permanently