HEGPS - Our Nature Zone
January 24, 2018, 02:49:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register Website Webcam Facebook  
collapse
Pages:  1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nest #21 - Whaling Station Bay - 2014-2015 season  (Read 9260 times)
winterwren
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« Post / Reply #15 on: April 09, 2015, 01:07:36 AM »

I think I have about half the Long-tailed Ducks of the flock in this shot.
I'm counting about 75 here.

At the time I took this first photo, most of the scoters had flown off and only a few remained among the Long-taileds.
There is one Black Scoter on the right, behind the Long-taileds.
April 6, 5:52 pm

A few minutes later, a lot of scoters had flown back but the Long-taileds remained at one end of the long narrow group. We see the beginning of the dense flock of Surf Scoters on the right.
I like how the waves partly hide some of them. Lots of fun shooting with a telephoto lens in a kayak bouncing up and down, too!  smile
6:02

boodle317
HEGPS

United States United States

« Post / Reply #16 on: April 09, 2015, 05:26:11 AM »

wow!  That toof like bill, is something!  Do you know why this particular duck needs a serrated bill??? 
NancyM
HEGPS
Administrator

United States United States

« Post / Reply #17 on: April 09, 2015, 09:12:20 AM »

great photos of the long-tails, wren!  they occur here but I have not seen them clearly, they are very handsome.
winterwren
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« Post / Reply #18 on: April 11, 2015, 03:32:12 AM »

wow!  That toof like bill, is something!  Do you know why this particular duck needs a serrated bill???  

Here's what The Sibley Guide to Bird Life and Behaviour says about duck bills (p. 199):
"Although all anatids share a similar overall bill structure, there are many small variations on the basic plan of a long, broad, flattened bill. Most species have comb-like lamellae along the sides of the bill for straining small items from mud or water; these have reached their greatest development in the Northern Shoveler, which also has a very broad bill adapted for sifting large amounts of muddy water. The bill of a Common Merganser is long and slender, and the lamellae are reduced to small, tooth-like points adapted for gripping small fish. The bill of a Surf Scoter is hard and stout, for pulling shellfish from rocks underwater; the elaborate pattern of the Surf Scoter's bill probably functions in displays."

So, all ducks have these serrations or lamellae on the inside of the bill and and on many species those serrations show along the edge. Long-tailed Ducks are deep divers and eat all sorts of shellfish, marine invertebrates, small fish and fish eggs. I would think that Sibley's descriptions of a merganser's bill and of a scoter's would both apply to the Long-taileds.
winterwren
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« Post / Reply #19 on: June 22, 2015, 09:55:06 PM »

Yesterday, June 21, I went to check this nest. The neighbours had told me that it seemed active.

I heard some good loud screeps but didn't see the eaglet yet. There has to be at least one in there. My photos show some bits of down clinging to the nest branches.

To be continued!
winterwren
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« Post / Reply #20 on: June 29, 2015, 10:09:47 PM »

Here are the photos from that day.

Click on the picture to see the larger sizes. On the right side of the nest we can see some bits of white down clinging to the branches and some white poopshots.
On the upright branch in that same area is an old, faded chunk of blue poly rope. Makes it look as if the eagles went beach-combing. Quite possibly they did.
June 21, 11:37

Returning  from the nest, I heard what I initially thought was an owl in a neighbour's yard. The hooting sound was replaced once or twice by an eerie screech.
I finally found the caller.
Not an owl at all.
I'm pretty sure this is a Eurasian Collared-dove.
12:12

winterwren
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« Post / Reply #21 on: July 13, 2015, 11:49:12 AM »

Yesterday morning, July 12, I returned to this nest with the family's youngest birder. We set up the camera on the same spot as on my previous visit.
We couldn't see anything but the eaglet was pretty vocal.
Finally we caught one photo of a wing tip. That will have to do!
Photo will follow in a later post.
winterwren
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« Post / Reply #22 on: August 01, 2015, 06:48:08 PM »

Here's the one and only photo from that observation session, showing one rather disorderly wing.

July 12, 8:42 am

Pages:  1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

* Theme Changer

Forum Default

Permanently