HEGPS - Our Nature Zone
April 19, 2018, 04:31:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register Website Webcam Facebook  
collapse
Pages:  1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nest Tribune Bay Tennis Court - 2014 - 2015 season  (Read 10889 times)
linused

« Post / Reply #30 on: April 24, 2015, 10:36:18 AM »

Yes Booni   Thank you  I would love the link to those videos.  heart     I have yet to see ones of those wonderful fellows.
jeavverhey

« Post / Reply #31 on: April 24, 2015, 12:00:32 PM »

What an impressive creature he is! nod And you are right Booni - that youngster see you with you enormous black nose pointed at them. eek!
boonibarb
HEGPS
Forum Guide

Canada Canada

« Post / Reply #32 on: April 24, 2015, 08:49:57 PM »

linused, click here to see fotos & videos of the time the Elephant Seal visited Grassy Point!

Click here to see the Elephant Seal in Niner territory.

wooohoooo!
linused

« Post / Reply #33 on: April 24, 2015, 11:20:54 PM »

Thank you Booni  I am really enjoying revisiting your videos of the elephant seal.  I remember being fascinated with the nose anatomy and enjoying the sound of his breathing. Loved the video with the sound of Mom and Dad in the background.
boonibarb
HEGPS
Forum Guide

Canada Canada

« Post / Reply #34 on: June 21, 2015, 09:11:46 AM »

i took some of the HIP Trippers on a tour of a few Nests, looking for Eaglets on june 18.
When we were at this Nest, it was spittering with rain.
We heard no Eaglets while we were there, & there was no shower of poopshots under the Nest Tree.
There was an adult perched at the tippy top of the Nest Tree, however.

wooohoooo!
winterwren
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« Post / Reply #35 on: June 30, 2015, 10:18:54 PM »

On June 21, to finish the longest day of the year, I went paddling along the bluffs of Tribune Bay.

Aside from enjoying the sweet cruise, I was here to look for several kinds of nests: the nests of the Pigeon Guillemots who swim in the outer part of Big Tribune Bay, the nests of the Peregrine Falcons that we've seen around Little Tribune, and maybe an eagle's nest also. I keep wondering if there is an eagle territory between the Big Tribune nest, whose forum thread this is, and the next one we know of, on the far edge of Helliwell Park.

The cliff nesters, Peregrines and Guillemots, might be in any of the niches and crevices on the bluffs. Guillemots' nests are particularly well hidden, but I'd been told to look for drips of white poop.

Spray Point, which separates Big and Little Tribunes, struck me as not tall enough and as too busy with people to house any birds, but I still had a good look.

The south shore of Big Tribune, on the other hand, looks like a cliff dweller's dream.
And the light was just right.
June 21, 6:50 pm

To be continued...  off to bed
winterwren
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« Post / Reply #36 on: July 01, 2015, 07:32:49 PM »

June 21st, continued.

Now here's something that looks like a nest.
There are three tracks of guano on the rocks. The rightmost one, almost dead centre of the picture, from the Peregrine's nest. We can see sticks in the stone niche, and the location corresponds to what I had been led to expect. This nest has reportedly been in use for several years.

Above that and to the left is a small deep pocket in the rock. A Guillemot's nest, or a perch where the Peregrines babysit and transfer food? I suspect the latter; it seems crazy for the Guillemots to nest so close to predators.

The third white track is below the second and looks like drips from it.

June 21, 7:20 pm

Closer look at the Peregrine's nest. I checked all the dark recesses from different angles: no birds hiding anywhere.

Closer look at the upper perch or whatever it is... Quite a deep little chamber in there.

winterwren
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« Post / Reply #37 on: July 01, 2015, 07:42:50 PM »

Paddling along, right by the huge boulders at the base of the bluffs... (Ask Idahowa about that!  lol )

There's been one eagle flying along and sometimes perching and calling out, but no sign of a nest or sound of eaglets. The same eagle seems to perch here and there along the 3-km length of the bluff.

Here he or she is, in a very picturesque setting.
June 21, 7:39

Closer view...
7:42

winterwren
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« Post / Reply #38 on: July 01, 2015, 08:16:09 PM »

The eagle was staring at a shape on the water.

It was a Marbled Murrelet!
Most of them are shy but this one was moving kind of slow and I drifted closer and closer until I got these two shots.

June 21, 7:40

In animal rescue training we are taught that we should not interrupt what's called a 'predator-prey relationship.' It's possible that I did just that. I drifted too close for the eagle's comfort and that one took off.

Meanwhile the Murrelet stayed. I watched for a few minutes more then quietly retreated.
Cawatcher
HEGPS

United States United States

« Post / Reply #39 on: July 01, 2015, 10:47:56 PM »

Super series Winterwren!!!
winterwren
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« Post / Reply #40 on: July 03, 2015, 10:22:17 AM »

Last night, a friend told me that he heard screeps from this nest and saw an adult come in with a fish! The adult eagle didn't stay long, and flew back off after a few seconds. On the nests I have watched, the eaglets are now able to feed themselves.

So it looks like at least one eaglet on this nest after all.
winterwren
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« Post / Reply #41 on: July 13, 2015, 11:45:10 AM »

Yesterday morning, July 12, I spent time watching this nest with a junior birder. We could hear an eaglet calling but he was deep inside the nest. I set up the camera on a tripod just in case and we were able to catch the eaglet bouncing to the edge of the nest and flapping his wings... After which he tucked down out of view again.

One eaglet here for sure!
Photos will follow.
winterwren
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« Post / Reply #42 on: July 13, 2015, 10:17:43 PM »

Meanwhile here are some photos I took from the water on June 28, around the southeast corner of Tribune Bay. This is the area where I had been unsuccessfully looking for Pigeon Guillemots' nests.

The Guillemots sure are around. On this day, two of them let me approach closer than usual.
June 28, 4:28 pm

Sigh...  heart They have such lovely red feet.

Here's the second one, swimming nearby.

winterwren
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« Post / Reply #43 on: August 01, 2015, 06:58:38 PM »

Better late than never... Here are the photos from July 12. At the moment when the eaglet bounced out of the nest like a jack-in-the-box, I was a few feet away from my camera and tripod, looking for a better viewpoint, so it is the family's youngest birder who clicked the shutter button through this sequence.

In the first photo the eaglet looks as if he's arriving from a flight but he's not. He's just flapping and getting air from the rim of the nest.

July 12, 9:48 am

Calm now. Parent sitting above the nest.
9:50

Tigerlady105
HEGPS

United States United States

« Post / Reply #44 on: August 01, 2015, 08:57:48 PM »

Well done, young birder!   thumbup

Commit random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir
Pages:  1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

* Theme Changer

Forum Default

Permanently