HEGPS - Our Nature Zone
April 21, 2018, 12:21:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register Website Webcam Facebook  
collapse
Pages:  1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nest Tribune Bay Tennis Court - 2014 - 2015 season  (Read 10958 times)
winterwren
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« Post / Reply #15 on: November 03, 2014, 07:00:49 PM »

Thanks for your posting, Bill. I'm actually hoping that we're just dealing with soft-tissue injuries from that 2-hour ordeal when the two eagles dropped out of the sky with locked talons and were stuck together on the ground. Your posting gives me more hope that it is so, and that this eagle didn't break a wing in his fall.
Thanks also for the clarification re: green poop.
No, I'm certainly not about to try catching this bird in these conditions! As for permit protocols, I don't do anything except with the say-so of the rehabbers at MARS. I'm only their eyes and ears on the ground and will do whatever they tell me. I cannot possibly speak too highly of their professionalism.
The neighbours will keep an eye out, and if that eagle weakens and gets grounded again I'll be hearing about it. My dearest hope is that he will get stronger and I'll never hear of him again.

A wing tucked up but under the tail can occur naturally on occasion or unnaturally if the wrist is injured (bruised, perhaps a broken bone) but this would often affect the bird's ability to fly (and especially gain elevation). The green in the fecal sample only indicates an empty stomach not necessarily starvation. There is a significant difference. From what you have stated the only way you are going to "catch" a bird with those conditions is with a food laiden trap and I'm not sure that falls within the mandate of any rehab permit. Continued observation is required to further assess the situation and perhaps some clarification on the permit protocal might be wise.

Bill
winterwren
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« Post / Reply #16 on: March 29, 2015, 11:43:35 PM »

There is a huge snag on St John's Point Road near the entrance of Tribune Bay and I don't know for sure whether it belongs to this territory or to the Lunar Rock territory, which is on the other side of the peninsula defined by Tribune Bay.

In the woods near this huge snag is the old Osprey nest, and also the tree where they attempted nesting last year.

On March 21, while there were still so many eagles on the island, I was driving toward Whaling Station Bay when I spotted two eagles perching on the snag... How could I not stop, in such good weather?

March 21, 3:38 pm

3:39

winterwren
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« Post / Reply #17 on: March 29, 2015, 11:58:38 PM »

Something strange happened next.

Well, the first thing that happened, unknown to me, was that Linus drove by. She had been visiting the island, and was returning to the ferry... She almost stopped to see what the person with the camera was doing... Wave to Linus, everyone! Hopefully I'll get a chance to visit next time.

The next thing...
I heard some screeching calls, from the direction of the Tribune Bay nest, and coming closer. The calls initially reminded me of a young eagle's rusty-hinge calls. Except they were closer to a continuous screech.

Remembering how noisy ospreys are... And considering that I was in osprey territory... When I saw the two comparatively light-coloured birds with pointy wings bursting out above the road from the concealment of the forest, I just assumed they were ospreys. In circumstances like this, anyway, I get busy snapping photos and worry about identification later.

They just circled once and disappeared. Someone stopped on the road (not Linus) and asked me what was going on, so I missed part of the sighting.

So I was unprepared for what I saw when I finally had time to look at the pictures.
March 21, 3:40

Peregrine Falcons! I have to say the sounds were most un-peregrine-like; so I'm still not sure of what took place here.

This was my second sighting of peregrines in a day, so I'm puzzled but I feel really lucky.
(Click here to read about the first sighting.)
boonibarb
HEGPS
Forum Guide

Canada Canada

« Post / Reply #18 on: April 21, 2015, 07:08:53 PM »

We went down to Tribune Bay because an Elephant Seal was reported on the beach!
On our way out, since we had heard Eagles calling the whole time, we walked past this Nest Tree.
It was raining, but here it is.
It is quite substantial!
There was an Eagle perched near the top of the Tree, & when he called, i could hear a female call from the Nest, so perhaps they have eggs here?

april 21 2015 14:07 - Tribune Bay Tennis Court Nest

https://www.flickr.com/photos/43214021@N08/17043326679/

wooohoooo!
winterwren
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« Post / Reply #19 on: April 21, 2015, 08:22:29 PM »

I got that call too, and with that, the story of a dead newborn Elephant Seal on Spray Point.

I was pretty sure that an Elephant Seal "much larger than a Sea Lion" would not give birth... The females are much smaller; also they don't have the big droopy nose; I'm told that few people would be able to tell them apart from a large seal or a Sea Lion. Also, the nearest Elephant Seal rookery is at the southern tip of Vancouver Island, over 200 km away.

Sure enough, I found lots of eagles on the Big Tribune side of Spray Point, then two vultures perched on a rock... And a dead, adult Harbour Seal. I'm guessing people saw it and saw the male Elephant Seal nearby and made a conclusion that fit what they knew.

It was a nice walk, even in the rain. The rock formations around Spray Point are beautiful, and I found some Fawn Lilies in bloom and lots of beautiful eagles perched in the trees. And two Bonaparte's Gulls fully moulted in breeding plumage, with their black hood. That, and a good story to unravel.  smile
winterwren
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« Post / Reply #20 on: April 23, 2015, 12:32:55 AM »

Our resident Elephant Seal was seen again at Big Tribune Bay today. A friend sent me photos or him napping on the sand at low tide.
boonibarb
HEGPS
Forum Guide

Canada Canada

« Post / Reply #21 on: April 23, 2015, 11:09:30 AM »

Okay, i sorted through the fotos, & here are a few of our latest visiting Elephant Seal!
He was snoozing pretty hard.
You would think he was dead.
But then he*d scratch himself with a flipper, or flip his tail around or snuffle & breathe for a while.

april 21 2015 13:35 - male Elephant Seal

Here he is lifting his bulky head off the sand.
i never saw him once open his eyes, the whole time i was there.
Look at the rolls of skin under his right flipper.

It is best to keep one*s distance from an Elephant Seal.
They can move very fast!
Keep dogs & children away.
He is resting, just leave him be.
i am up the shore in the bushes, with a long zoom lens.

While waiting for Mr. Elephant Seal to do something exciting, like, a headstand, say, i scanned the beach & far far away saw a shape too large to be anything but an Eagle!
&, of course, even though i am a loooooong ways away, hiding in the bush, the fact that i am pointing my camera at this youngster does not escape them!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/43214021@N08/17220537156/in/photostream/

wooohoooo!
boonibarb
HEGPS
Forum Guide

Canada Canada

« Post / Reply #22 on: April 23, 2015, 11:13:30 AM »

april 21 2015 13:36 - male Elephant Seal breathing

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uS7tPZiNVGQ" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uS7tPZiNVGQ</a>

wooohoooo!
boonibarb
HEGPS
Forum Guide

Canada Canada

« Post / Reply #23 on: April 23, 2015, 11:17:22 AM »

april 21 2015 13:37 - male Elephant Seal breathing

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHktIF0D2ZY" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHktIF0D2ZY</a>

wooohoooo!
boodle317
HEGPS

United States United States

« Post / Reply #24 on: April 23, 2015, 11:32:08 AM »

my gosh he's enourmous!
boonibarb
HEGPS
Forum Guide

Canada Canada

« Post / Reply #25 on: April 23, 2015, 12:44:07 PM »

april 21 2015 13:49 - male Elephant Seal

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbSGPeVZO6k" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbSGPeVZO6k</a>

wooohoooo!
boonibarb
HEGPS
Forum Guide

Canada Canada

« Post / Reply #26 on: April 23, 2015, 12:49:22 PM »

april 21 2015 13:45 - male Elephant Seal

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zeZJJKpyfo" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zeZJJKpyfo</a>

wooohoooo!
linused

« Post / Reply #27 on: April 23, 2015, 11:49:01 PM »

I love these videos of the elephant seal.  Do you think he is dreaming in the last video?
Sandor3

Canada Canada

« Post / Reply #28 on: April 24, 2015, 08:22:46 AM »

Looks like he is after a big fish, Linus....at least, it looks like swimming motions.

"We tend to forget that happiness doesn't come as a result of getting something we don't have, but rather of recognizing and appreciating what we do have."    ~Frederick Koenig

"We aren't the only ones that live on the planet, but we act like it."  ~ Jane Goodall
boonibarb
HEGPS
Forum Guide

Canada Canada

« Post / Reply #29 on: April 24, 2015, 08:38:08 AM »

Yes!
i meant to say that!
He looks like he is dreaming of swimming!
linused, i have TONS of fotos & videos of an Elephant Seal at Grassy Point two or three years ago!
Do you want the link to them?
Or have you already seen them.
These gigantic guys are fascinating.

wooohoooo!
Pages:  1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

* Theme Changer

Forum Default

Permanently