Author Topic: WE Game Drives Are Back - Nov. 2, 2014 - ?? 2015  (Read 88429 times)

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
Re: WE Game Drives Are Back - Nov. 2, 2014 - Jan. 31, 2015
« Reply #75 on: November 18, 2014, 10:58:38 PM »
The main feature of the Nov. 18 PM drive = two sightings of Kunyuma.

Part 1 - first of two sightings of Kunyuma

I see you !
Nov. 18 PM Kunyuma looking at us (1)

Anything to nibble on here?
Nov. 18 PM Kunyuma (2)

Getting dark quickly now. I played with the brightness and contrast features.
Nov. 18 PM - Kunyuma (6) lightened

Light not good as he went up the tree. The following are from after he ascended and didn't stay long.
What do I do to get down?
Nov. 18 PM Kunyuma  (7) Now what?

Maybe this way ? (head is to the right looking down.
Nov. 18 PM Kunyuma (8) thinking

Whew, I figured it out  :ecsmile
Nov. 18 PM Kunyuma (9) coming down tree

All we can see here is his tail leaving the scene
Nov. 18 PM - Kunyuma (10) tail only

2nd sighting to follow > > > >  :thumbup:
Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced. (Anonymous)
Avatar is of Karula (female leopard). May 1, 2013

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #76 on: November 18, 2014, 11:14:04 PM »
Part 2 of the Nov. 18 PM drive - with Kunyuma

First act of Part 2. With the night light Pieter finds Kunyuma again and we watch him go up another tree.

Approaching the tree

Can I do this?

Leaping leopard fiddled with brightness and contrast.

I did it

Not feeling secure here  :eceek

Silhouetted against the night sky  :eclove

Act 2 > > > >

Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced. (Anonymous)

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #77 on: November 18, 2014, 11:36:09 PM »
Act. 2 of Part 2 with Kunyuma up a tree on Nov. 18 PM drive.

Now, how do I get down; gracefully :question

Ready to jump the rest of the way.

I made down in one piece  :ecwink

Me thinks he is now comfortable with Pieter and the jigga. He walked right past and quite close to the jigga.

And as before, he leaves us and walks off into the African night.

One more group of pics to come - not leopards. > > > >  

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #78 on: November 18, 2014, 11:47:16 PM »
The Nov. 18 PM drive comes to the end.

Pieter driving along the road by Djuma waterhole cam. On his way to meet up with HT.

Pieter bides the viewers a good night.

Pieter and HT meet up and discuss the drive and Kunyuma.

HT and Pieter have bonded and developed a great friendship. They bid each other good night.

Thank you Pieter and HT.

And - I now bid you a good night  :offtobed

Ann

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #79 on: November 20, 2014, 11:19:50 AM »
Nov. 20 AM Drive

Wow, awesome, incredible.

We watched two Wildebeests give birth to a calf within minutes of each other.  :heart  As with other animals here they have their offspring up on their feet, ealking, mini jumps and suckling within half an hour or less.

Too many photos - so here is the video from the drive.

Pieter and HT named the calves 'Wium' and 'Brian' after their cameramen.

Enjoy

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYR-iLHSlG4" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYR-iLHSlG4</a>

:eclove

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #80 on: November 27, 2014, 04:54:02 PM »
A couple of days ago, Pieter saw Karula in the Quarantine area of Djuma.  She was going deep into the bush. She is pregnant and Pieter guessed that a litter is very imminent. This is the area were she had Quarantine Male and Kunyuma.

It would lovely if Pieter was able to see the cubs before he leaves on Dec. 7th.

:heart  :goodluck

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #81 on: November 29, 2014, 04:04:39 PM »
I watched the "Big Cats," live on National Geographic Wild, featuring Sabi Sands with Pieter and Scott this morning (at 6 a.m. PST).  The Birmingham Boys (Flat Cats) and a male leopard made it a good drive!

The Safaris at Arathusa and Djuma will be on that channel for both drives for a week, according to the schedule.   :thumbup:
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 11:12:43 PM by BBE »
Commit random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #82 on: December 19, 2014, 11:00:21 PM »
Dec. 19, 2014 Great news out of Cheetah Plains with a photo by ranger Andrew Khosa.  At the bottom of this post:

http://www.ournaturezone.com/index.php?topic=1558.msg157733#msg157733

I hope she introduces us to her cubs soon.  Then it will be determined how old they are. They might be a month or so old by now.

:eclove

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #83 on: December 19, 2014, 11:15:37 PM »
Hi Tigerlady,

I hope you enjoyed watching Big Cat Week on National Geographic Wild TV. Unfortunately I don't get that channel, but reports are that the viewing was great.

That drive was awesome.

I moved your post into this topic (from 'Nov. 2014 Update on Karula, Her Family & Other Leopards.')

Ann

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #84 on: December 19, 2014, 11:24:26 PM »
The drives with Pieter and Hayden (HT) ended on Dec. 7. Marc and Scott are now doing the drives.

Please accept my apologies as I have been unable to maintain this topic or making a post related to the other leopards we now see or read about.

To those who pass this way, I wish you a Merry Christmas / Happy Holiday and all the best lfor a happy and healthy 2015.

Ann

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #85 on: December 20, 2014, 04:20:19 PM »
Hi Ann and other friends.  The safari drives are still on twice each day.  The guides right now are Marc (an excellent 'friend' from the old drives) and Scott, new to WildEarth, but experienced as a guide.  Alex gives the two guides a day off, as needed.  Otherwise he's the director in 'Final Control' and tries to keep the live stream going.

This is the rainy season in South Africa, so sometimes they have a talk with Q&A instead of getting the cameras wet.

The morning drive yesterday featured a beautiful young leopard, known as the Quarantine Male because he was born in that area of the Sabi Sands reserve,  He's one of Karula's sons. She's a favorite of regular watchers but she has new cubs and is hiding them for a number of weeks until she thinks they are ready to be out and about with her as she teaches them how to be leopards.    :eclove

http://www.ournaturezone.com/index.php?topic=1558.0;topicseen
Commit random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir

Offline luvthebirds

• HEGPS
« Reply #86 on: December 31, 2014, 06:14:32 PM »
Very sad news to share with you all.  On the Dec. 31st morning (in Africa) drive we found Karula.  We were so elated.  She led up to her tiny, tiny cub!  But tragegy struck when two hyenas showed up.  Karula did her best to fight them off (and she got in a good swipe on one), but was not able to save her cub, which was taken away by a hyena.  Karula seemed stunned.  We were all heartbroken.  From joy to grief in just moments. We stayed with Karula while she sat where her cub had been.  Latest report is that she has moved from that spot as her tracks were found leading away from there.  Thankfully, Karula did not appeared to be physically injured.

Here are two things I wrote today for Karula and her cub:

In an Instant
(A Tribute To Karula’s Tiny Cub)

We saw the tiny leopard cub
For only a short while
A quick glimpse of the young cat
Brought to our faces smiles

The cub was a beauty to be sure
Like its mother we hold dear
We were delighted to be with them
As we bid goodbye to another year

We let our dreams begin to shape
Imagining watching the cub grow
Enjoying her playing and thriving
Karula’s cub, we would get to know

Alas, the dreams were not to be
They shattered oh so quickly
The hyenas came upon the scene
And we now were feeling sickly

Please NO, do not harm the cub!
Or its mother we so adored
But the hyenas paid us no mind
They were on a mission we abhorred

In an instant the tiny cub was gone
Despite its mother’s brave fight
Hyenas took the sweet young cub
It won’t live to see another night

As the reality began to set in
We could not ease our grief
Karula too, seem stunned
We sat with her in disbelief

Yes, Nature can be cruel
We know that to be a fact
But to witness it at times
Truly sets one’s self aback

Karula, we’ll be with you
In our hearts as you move on
Glad we shared a special moment
With you and your cub, now gone

Dear little cub, you won’t be forgotten
For the brief joy you brought us all
We’ll see you safe in our memories
And in rainbows, after the rain falls

©luvthebirds, 2014

12/31/14

Karula and tiny cub 12-31-14 Djuma cropped by luvthebirds, on Flickr

The Leopard Waits
(Karula’s Lament)

The leopard sits in a small depression in front of a fallen Marula tree.

If you just happened upon her, you would be awed by her beauty, her magnificent facial markings, which on closer look describe your first impression, “WoW”!

You might be taken by her calm demeanor, she is, after all, called “Karula”, which means “peaceful” in her area of South Africa. 

You might wonder, “For what is she searching as she sits and stares ahead?”  Yes, you might wonder, but those of us who have been with her today know.

We who love her and feel joy in her presence know there is something different in her gaze today.  We know for what she searches.

We had come to see her tiny, blue-eyed cub; for but a moment or two.  We took in the scene, the striking mother leopard and her young cub, and rejoiced.  This was just what we had been longing to witness.

We watched the two of them, oblivious to the danger that was to come; we smiled and shed a few tears of pure joy. 

Our reverie was broken as the scene rapidly changed. The mother leopard was suddenly alert and the cub out of our sight. Then we saw the hyenas.  We held our breath and our hearts raced, dreading what might happen.

Karula courageously tried to fight off the pair of hyenas and save her cub. She snarled; she used the fallen Marula to launch an attack from above, getting in a swipe at one hyena.

There is only so much one brave leopard mother can do to protect her cub from determined predators.  The hyenas took the cub, leaving us, and Karula, absolutely stunned.

Karlua continues to sit and wait for her cub, though she knows, deep in her very heart and soul, it will not return.  We share her grief, her shock, her knowing. 

There is nothing that will turn back time or change what has happened. So we simply sit and wait with her. 

We sit with you Karula, and silently wish you well through our tears; hoping you can feel our love from all parts of the globe.  We sit and wait with you, it is all we can do.

Karula will eventually move on, as so will we; that is what we humans and other animals do.  Yet we will not forget the beautiful young cub who is gone way too soon, nor the mother leopard who sits and waits.

©luvthebirds 2014

12/31/14

Karula after cub taken 12-31-14 Djuma cropped by luvthebirds, on Flickr

Nurture yourself with Nature - luvthebirds
(and don't forget to screep for what you need)

Offline luvthebirds

• HEGPS
« Reply #87 on: December 31, 2014, 07:04:35 PM »
We saw Karula's tiny cub on the morning drive 12-31-14 (CAT).  I have posted in the previous post about what happened (sad news).

Karula is as beautiful as ever, as was her cub, could tell, even with just a glimpse.  :heart :eccry
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 08:51:06 PM by BBE »
Nurture yourself with Nature - luvthebirds
(and don't forget to screep for what you need)

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #88 on: December 31, 2014, 07:09:47 PM »
Sad news today from the morning game drive. Just before the drive Marc announced that Karula had been seen. He and Scott did find her with a cub by an old Marula tree. The cub was playing.  In the blink of an eye two hyenas appeared and while Karula put up a fight they made away with her cub.

WildEarth.TV posted on their FB site:
As we follow Karula we catch a first glimpse of one cub. Only minutes later disaster strikes as two hyaenas appear and manage to chase Karula up a log and grab her cub. No graphic footage, but very sad event.
http://wildearth.tv/videomark/karulas-cub-found-and-lost  
wildearth.tv

From reading the posts etc. on Facebook Karula was stunned and sat by the Marula branch for about 20 or more minutes before moving away.

Since Karula gave birth to this her 5th litter (maybe 2 months ago) it is the first time anyone including rangers / guides that a cub has been seen. She has always been extremely protective of her litters and has carefully 'stashed' the cubs well away from predators / preying eyes.  She has usually brought one cub to a site, but the other one remained hidden until she called for it to appear.

Many are asking the questions (1) did she have one or two cubs in this litter? and (2) if two is the other one alive and safe?  

At this point Karula has done a remarkable job as a Mother in keeping her cubs safe and raising 8 or 9 of her 10 offspring to adulthood. I say '8 or 9' as we do not know what happened to Xivindzi (sister to Xivambalana, who is a handsome male and seen frequently usually around Nkorho or Arathusa).  There have been rumours that Xivindzi is in Kruger National Park and seldom seen. ??

Time will tell whether Karula still has a cub to raise.

A sad day for all those who have watched Karula since the first WE drive way and where privileged to see her first litter 10 almost 11 years ago.

This is the link to a post by 'LuvtheBirds' (one of our long time viewers) who must have seen the event unfold which includes two haikus / poems which she wrote today.Here are two things I wrote today for Karula and her cub:
 http://www.ournaturezone.com/index.php?topic=1545.msg159620#msg159620

Thanks LTB for your caring words.  :heart

Ann  :ecsad

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #89 on: December 31, 2014, 07:17:01 PM »
Luvthebirds,

Thank you for your post and the words you wrote for Karula. I sit here with misty eyes as I re-read them.

You obviously watched the event unfold?  A heart-breaking moment for Karula and all who have watched and loved her for so many years. I did not see the drive.  :ecsad

:heart