HEGPS - Our Nature Zone
April 21, 2018, 12:21:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register Website Webcam Facebook  
collapse
Pages:  1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nest #22 - Helliwell Park - 2014 - 2015 season  (Read 22381 times)
winterwren
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« Post / Reply #75 on: May 04, 2015, 09:57:05 PM »

April 20 near sunset... Flora Islet in bloom.

I'd forgotten my landscape lens, but I took a few shots with the big zoom one. It was... Interesting.

Mostly Mimulus and Camas here.

Camas and Chocolate Lilies.

winterwren
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« Post / Reply #76 on: June 22, 2015, 09:50:48 PM »

A week ago, I got a call from one of the neighbours of Nest 21. She told me that there is a new nest in her area, and since her nest is occupied it is most likely to be a new home for the Nest 22 eagles. Nest 22 has looked rather quiet all season so far.

Yesterday we went to have a look. As soon as we got there we heard a screep! We weren't able to see any eaglets but I'm hoping to spend more time at this site later on this week.

This new nest is unfortunately on private land, so it won't be as accessible as the previous site in Helliwell Park.

To make sure, I went to check the old nest. There was no noise. I was able to see part of the base of the tree. There were a few poopshots but not the amount I would expect with an eaglet on board. I took a few photos and can't see any poopshots or down flags around the nest. So it's certainly plausible that the new nest is a replacement for this one. I'll keep an eye on both.

Photos will follow when I catch up...
winterwren
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« Post / Reply #77 on: June 29, 2015, 09:51:19 PM »

Catching up (slowly), so here are the photos from that day.

Here's the new nest. Seems empty but if you click on the picture you can see some white droppings on the large branches in the middle of the nest's base, and little bits of white down clinging to surrounding greenery on the left side.
June 21, 10:36

Here's the nest among the surrounding trees.
Funny, I had taken many pictures of that very area from the water over last winter, because there seemed always to be an eagle pair perching nearby and the treetops seemed unusually dense. My photos showed nothing. It was the wrong angle.

While we explored the area, we came upon two lovely new fawns.

winterwren
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« Post / Reply #78 on: July 03, 2015, 09:14:55 PM »

Two days later, I returned, with more time on my hands, and found two more angles I could see the nest from.

This one turned out to be the best. I took a photo of what appeared to be an empty nest, but click on the picture and you will see a little dark head.
June 23, 11:53

As usual I get distracted by the little birds...  heart
This place was Chipping Sparrow country.
12:07

At first I took this bird for a juvenile Chipping Sparrow, but that can't be right. Possibly a fledgling White-crowned Sparrow; there were some adults nearby also.
12:05

Another photo, presumably same kind of bird, taken later:
1:05 pm

winterwren
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« Post / Reply #79 on: July 03, 2015, 09:31:12 PM »

Well, while I was distracted, looking at the sparrows, an adult landed on the nest with food!

I ran back to my observation post and was able to watch the adult for a few minutes. He or she just stood around, letting the eaglet self-feed.
The eaglet is just a dark pile of feathers to the right in this picture.
12:23

Then the adult flew off and the eaglet had a peek over the nest rim.
12:27

12:29

Finished my food... Calling for more!
1:06

winterwren
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« Post / Reply #80 on: July 03, 2015, 09:43:28 PM »

Now here's the place I was watching the nest from.

Can you see it? You'll need to click and enlarge the picture.
June 23, 12:28

winterwren
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« Post / Reply #81 on: July 13, 2015, 07:50:06 PM »

Near this nest is one of my favourite paddling destinations, Flora Islet.

On June 28 I paddled with a friend all the way from near the Belcarra nest to Little Tribune Bay. We took a breather on Flora.
There were other people on its gravel beach. They were all trooped at one end of a little point, looking at something. I could see a pair of Black Oystercatchers nearby, and both were calling. I didn't want to bother them and walked the other way.

When I came back, my paddling friend called me over. She had gone to see what the people were looking at. She said, "There is a lost baby bird over there. It can't be an oystercatcher, the bill is way too short. I don't know what it is."

Immediately I remembered a post by Booni, with photos of baby hummingbirds with short little bills! Click here to see it.
This post taught me that birds with long bills may be born with shorter bills! (How would that long bill fit in the egg, and how would the birdlet be able to break out?)

So I approached... And this is what I saw.
June 28, 3:51

Look at the red on the bill, and at its general shape, minus the length. Has to be an oystercatcher. Poor little one is sitting partway in a puddle, completely immobile, waiting for people to move away. Worried parents are nearby, not flying away despite the people and dog.
I asked everyone to retreat. Immediately the parents approached and the little one stood up.
I wasn't sure what would happen next. The tide was coming in, and the rocks the oystercatchers stood on had become a tiny island. Would the little one be able to cross back to Flora Islet?
3:54

No problem... It helps to have long legs.

Safe and sound. Look at those nice oystercatcher legs! 3:55

winterwren
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« Post / Reply #82 on: July 13, 2015, 10:08:46 PM »

Continuing toward Big Tribune Bay, we spotted this eagle near the eastern end of Helliwell Park. I still have not found any sign of an eagle nest between the Helliwell Nest and the back of Big Tribune Bay. So I don't know which territory, if any, this eagle belongs to.
July 28, 4:13 pm

Pages:  1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

* Theme Changer

Forum Default

Permanently