HEGPS - Our Nature Zone
June 23, 2018, 01:11:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register Website Webcam Facebook  
collapse
Pages:  1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nest #22 - Helliwell Park - 2014 - 2015 season  (Read 24252 times)
jeavverhey

« Post / Reply #15 on: January 26, 2015, 03:21:26 AM »

heart HEART thank you wonderful people  Thank you. Thank goodness for MARS too  hooray. About the 20/20 hind vision -  it rarely pays to rush into action except during extreme emergencies. I for one believe  you exercised wise caution and observation of the situation.  Bravo! thumbup
PamNY

« Post / Reply #16 on: January 26, 2015, 09:03:44 AM »

Great job with the rescue, Booni and Wren.  So glad MARS is available to help.  Thanks for the narrative and photos -- fascinating to see and learn what went on.
winterwren
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« Post / Reply #17 on: January 26, 2015, 09:37:41 PM »

I'm sorry to report that yesterday's rescued eagle didn't make it. He had to be euthanized.

He turned out to have a dislocated shoulder, not an upper-wing fracture as I had thought. Wing dislocations cannot be healed to full flying strength, so this bird could not have survived in the wild no matter how long he was in rehab.

In addition to the wing injury, he had a large leg wound with some skin loss. He was also very dehydrated. As I had experienced in carrying him, his body weight was good, appropriate for a breeding male. But he must have been without food and fluids for a number of days.

I learned this morning that there is a sea lion carcass somewhere on the shore of Helliwell Park. There may have been some fighting among visitors around this food source.

boodle317
HEGPS

United States United States

« Post / Reply #18 on: January 27, 2015, 06:30:53 AM »

cry
Faerie Gardener

« Post / Reply #19 on: January 27, 2015, 08:23:49 AM »

This is sad news, but as in so many times in the past I am so thankful for you and Booni and MARS, as this beautiful Eagle would have suffered greatly if it hadn't been for your actions. Thanks, too, to the volunteers and drivers who helped.  heart

"In all things of Nature there is something of the Marvelous"  -Aristotle

"A garden is never as good as it will be next year" -Anon
Rajame
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« Post / Reply #20 on: January 27, 2015, 09:46:28 AM »

Dear HEART Team,

I hope I can explain my thoughts about your rescue work and all the dedicated, loving wildlife rehabbers in the world.

Yes, it is true that "nature would have taken its course" with this eagle. But he did not have to endure all that is involved in "the course." He suffered, but not for innumerable days. After the rescue, he was no longer a target for others. Once in your hands and in the hands of the wonderful people at MARS, he had a chance. He was loved from the capture through the end of his life.

The fact that you keep going out when the calls come. The fact that you continue to rescue and the precious wildlife have a chance is remarkable. And, if they cannot be rehabbed, the fact that they were in your care is what I call true HEART.

My love and thankfulness and respect,
Rajame

heartssmiles

Your soul lights up the room as if the sun is beaming directly.
OpieK

« Post / Reply #21 on: January 27, 2015, 02:31:20 PM »

Thank you for all you do, and for sharing with us Booni and Wren and MARS.
boonibarb
HEGPS
Forum Guide

Canada Canada

« Post / Reply #22 on: March 08, 2015, 10:55:59 AM »

Okay, so this is a bizarre story, that i am a little late in telling.
i got a Wildlife call, that an Elephant Seal was hanging out at the shore in the bay below the bluffs of Helliwell with a calf!
Well, first of all, the Elephant Seals that visit us are all male.
The females have a colonly at Race Rocks, southern Vancouver Island, where they have their pups.
So, what the heck was going on here?
People had seen the Elephant Seal hanging out with the *pup* for days.
Being with a calf, they thought she must be female.
First thing to find out, was this a male?
Only males have the Elephant trunk.
The females are much smaller, & look more like Seals.
Yes, indeed, this was a male.
Stranger & stranger.
Someone suggested the males guard the pup, while the female goes off to feed.
This is not anything i have ever seen happening, in programs i have watched about Elephant Seals.

Fortunately, our then Fire Captain called the Department of Fisheries & Oceans.
Prepare to be thunder-struck.

I just spoke to Paul Cottrell at DFO about Snuffy the elephant seal. Paul looked at the photo that Quinn took and spun a whole new twist on this story.

1) Snuffy is definitely a male
2) the seal beside him is a harbour seal
3) Elephant seals at this time of year can whipped up into a sexual frenzy and take it out on harbour seals. Its very likely that Snuffy sexually assaulted this harbour seal to death! I shit you not!

Apparently its also common behavour for them to hang around their victim for a while.]

These fotos were all taken by Quinn Catherine.
Thank you very much for letting me upload them & share them here!
Check out her Big Tree Video (Company) on facebook here.

february 24 2015 - male Elephant Seal by Quinn

february 24 2015 - male Elephant Seal & Harbour Seal by Quinn

https://www.flickr.com/photos/43214021@N08/16569267349/in/photostream/

wooohoooo!
NancyM
HEGPS
Administrator

« Post / Reply #23 on: March 08, 2015, 12:08:54 PM »

oh gosh -  I looked at the photos before I read the story and wondered why the seal's head was under water (I think that is what I am seeing).  
Donnae
HEGPS

Canada Canada

« Post / Reply #24 on: March 08, 2015, 03:46:03 PM »

That is a strange story, who would have ever know that this took place... poor seal!!!
MaggiesMom

« Post / Reply #25 on: March 08, 2015, 04:24:03 PM »

how sad!  poor little seal.  But very nice photos.  And I suppose we have learned something - though maybe I would have been fine not knowing this ever occurred.

"If you slow things down, you notice things you hadn't seen before." - Robert Wilson, director, author, videographer
winterwren
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« Post / Reply #26 on: March 08, 2015, 10:33:36 PM »

The Elephant Seal doesn't look alive in those photos either... But I saw him this afternoon, fishing near Flora Islet, so he's alive and well.

What a strange story.
jeavverhey

« Post / Reply #27 on: March 09, 2015, 02:03:05 AM »

Amen maggies
winterwren
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« Post / Reply #28 on: March 09, 2015, 08:43:54 PM »

In addition to seeing the Elephant Seal fishing yesterday...

I also saw quite a few eagles but they were mostly perched in trees and impossible to photograph in that light (hazy early evening).

One eagle, near the park boundary, was screeching every minute or so the whole time I was in the area. He or she sounded like a cross between a gulling eagle and a screeping eaglet. I still don't know what was going on there.

There weren't very many seabirds aside from huge flocks of Wigeons, who rarely let me approach anyway.

On the islets near Flora I found a few Oystercatchers.

March 8, 6:04 pm

Earlier in the winter they were in flocks, but now they are all paired up.
Every so often, all the nearby pairs started vocalizing at the same time, and bowing to their mates.
6:16

winterwren
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« Post / Reply #29 on: March 09, 2015, 08:55:46 PM »

In the middle picture of the last posting, there is a (very blurry) Dunlin, looking like a midget beside the Oystercatcher.

There was a whole flock of them around the Oystercatchers.

March 8, 6:16 pm

Pages:  1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

* Theme Changer

Forum Default

Permanently