Author Topic: Nest #22 - Helliwell Park - 2014 - 2015 season  (Read 26970 times)

Offline boonibarb

• HEGPS
  • Forum Guide
    • my flickr photos
Nest #22 - Helliwell Park - 2014 - 2015 season
« on: October 15, 2014, 10:06:40 AM »

This is where we will be posting observations, fotos & videos of the lovely Helliwell Park Nests.
There are two, maybe even three Nests here, none of which appeared to be used last year.
There may be two pairs who defend the territory.
Helliwell Park is one of the most lovely spots on Hornby Island.
You can be almost guaranteed to spot Eagles, if you go for a walk here.

To see wren*s beautiful map of Hornby with all the Nests & their statistics, & to find where this Nest is, click here.

Last year*s topic can be found here.
There you will also find the links to the topics of the previous years.
wooohoooo!

Offline boonibarb

• HEGPS
  • Forum Guide
    • my flickr photos
Re: Nest #22 - Helliwell Park - 2014 - 2015 season
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2014, 07:13:48 PM »

On this day, we all trucked out to Helliwell to go to the bluffs there to watch the full Moon rise!
She did not disappoint!

october 8 2014 19:11 - full Moon rise at Helliwell

https://www.flickr.com/photos/43214021@N08/14922823464/in/photostream/
wooohoooo!

Offline winterwren

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2015, 02:41:24 PM »
Whew, let's hear it for MARS again. They will soon have another Hornby eagle in their care.

This morning Booni and I got a call from someone who had spotted an adult eagle with a broken wing in Helliwell Park.

We headed out on the trail along the bluffs... the short bluffs, fortunately, not the tall ones...

The people walking ahead of us spooked that eagle from the edge of the trees to the edge of the bluffs... Then he disappeared!

We found him again down the bluff, right by the water, under an overhang, near a little bay where Booni once captured a baby seal. I went down the trail but didn't want to spook that eagle further away from reach, so I waited and waited, hoping he would come out of his hiding place to where we could reach him. Meanwhile Booni went around the other side and dropped some branches behind the eagle, hoping to  make him move to where I could reach him. He just calmly looked at the branches and stayed put.

Meanwhile, though, Booni spotted an area where I might be able to climb down to the other side of the eagle! I'm more comfortable than most people with that kind of scrambling because I'm a rock climber (not a very good one but every bit helps). So I waited for Booni to get down the little path at the far end, and made my move... I climbed down and a kind person from the neighbourhood handed me my capture gear. As I approached, the eagle finally moved into the open. He was weak and I realised I could outrun him... So I did!

Poor eagle.
His right wing hung down. It didn't tuck properly. He must have been in so much pain. Once in the carrier, he laid down on his side, so I made a big horseshoe out of towels the way Maj had taught me and he settled into that nest. I don't know if he's going to make it. We were lucky enough to meet some neighbours who helped us carry our gear out and offered to take the eagle as far as Buckley Bay, where they will meet a MARS volunteer.

Booni took some pictures and I'm looking forward to seeing them here.

Offline Cawatcher

• HEGPS
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2015, 03:23:20 PM »
Wren and Booni What wonder women you are!! Thank you for giving this eagle a chance   :heart

Offline boodle317

• HEGPS
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2015, 03:32:40 PM »
 :ecsad poor bird.

Thank you so much Wren and Booni for being there when these things are necessary.  What a horrible end he might have faced without you.   :heart

Offline MaggiesMom

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2015, 05:18:30 PM »
hope we hear good news from MARS - and thanks, both of you, helping hands for making such an effort to capture the eagle and get him to help
"If you slow things down, you notice things you hadn't seen before." - Robert Wilson, director, author, videographer

Offline winterwren

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2015, 06:17:12 PM »
I returned to Helliwell Park this afternoon because I very much wanted to find out if this injured eagle was Mr. Helliwell.

I knew the odds of confirming it one way or the other were not in my favour. But something drew me out there anyway.

As I approached the nest area I heard a series of quick 'warning whistles' - a sound that many eagles use in circumstances where Mom Hornby would use a 'cachunk'. This was followed by some trills. The vocalizations didn't sound particularly low - until I heard the other eagle! His trills, in contrast, sounded really high!

The sound came from close to the nest tree. I got within view of the tree just in time to see an eagle take off.

Sure sounds like there is still a healthy pair over there!

A few minutes later, I was still searching for eagles in the treetops. Walking on the trail with my nose pointed up in the air.
Two friends from this neighbourhood politely stood aside to avoid a collision. They know me by now, and did not even comment on my walking style. Then they told me that they had just seen the elephant seal on Flora Islet!

So I walked out far enough to come into view of the islet... And sure enough, there was our old friend,  napping on the upper beach, and not a sea lion in sight.

Offline amazedbyeagles

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2015, 06:25:25 PM »
Thanks,Wren!  Love the "nose in the air" while walking stance!  You're a true Hornbyite!!! LOL  Thanks for the news of this pair!!!  :eclove

Offline boonibarb

• HEGPS
  • Forum Guide
    • my flickr photos
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2015, 08:19:04 PM »

Alright, here are the assessment fotos i got today of this poor injured Eagle.
We are guessing he is male, due to size.

january 25 2015 11:40 - Eagle with injured wing in Helliwell

https://www.flickr.com/photos/43214021@N08/16181488208/in/photostream/
wooohoooo!

Offline boonibarb

• HEGPS
  • Forum Guide
    • my flickr photos
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2015, 08:20:51 PM »

And a video.

january 25 2015 11:42 -  Eagle with injured wing in Helliwell

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeEHzJVSD3I" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeEHzJVSD3I</a>

wooohoooo!

Offline Cawatcher

• HEGPS
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2015, 09:20:54 PM »
 :mconfused Poor eagle, Thank you both so much

Offline auroradawn

• HEGPS
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2015, 09:30:14 PM »
Oh what a shame, poor eagle.  Thank you Booni & wren for the rescue, what ever the out come you saved more suffering.

Offline winterwren

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2015, 09:35:42 PM »
Booni's video is helpful to me. She took it shortly after we first spotted the eagle.

I felt kind of bad about trying to wait him out at first, given how relatively easy it was to get behind him in the end. That 20/20 hind vision, you know? But the video reminds me: the tide was ebbing. The path I took to make him move to a flat area where we could capture him is the same area that's covered in breaking waves in the video. Time was on our side.

The wait also allowed us to meet the people who gave a ride to this beautiful eagle.

Offline Faerie Gardener

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2015, 09:49:18 PM »
Well Done, HEART team  :heart   Thank you. Hoping MARS can help. How wonderful that they taught you how to make that little nest.
"In all things of Nature there is something of the Marvelous"  -Aristotle

"A garden is never as good as it will be next year" -Anon

Offline violet312s

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2015, 10:26:18 PM »
Thank you so much for the photos.  Poor thing.  So happy he is at MARS.  May they relieve his pain, regardless.  Thanks HEART team!