HEGPS - Our Nature Zone
January 22, 2018, 09:14:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register Website Webcam Facebook  
collapse
Pages:  [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nest 6, 7 - Savoie Farm - 2014-2015 season  (Read 9373 times)
winterwren
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« on: October 04, 2014, 07:27:53 PM »

This topic is for photos and discussions about Nest 6-7.

This nest is very near Collishaw Point, which uncovers to a mile-long intertidal zone at low tide. That area is always full of birds. I believe it is one of the points on the island where currents from both sides converge, bringing in more nutrients and a very rich sea life. (The other areas where this happens are Flora Islet and Norris Rocks.)

Here's the map of the eagle nests of the island. Nest 6-7 is at the top of the map.  There used to be a small remnant of a previous nest in a neighbouring tree, so this is why this nest came to have two numbers! Last year the old nest, #6, finally vanished completely but the double number stayed.

Last year this nest did not produce any offspring. But we found out that Mom Savoie, who I always thought has a strange accent, similar to southern eagles, has a band on her left leg. I'm hoping to catch a better view of it this year.
In 2013, there was one eaglet.
In 2012, we were unable to monitor this nest at the time when the eaglets would have been visible, so we don't have any data, except that there was at least a nesting attempt. The eagles were still occupying and defending this territory on May 11. We have no information about what happened after that.
In 2011, this nest produced two healthy eaglets.

Click here to read last year's postings on this nest and territory.

winterwren
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« Post / Reply #1 on: October 07, 2014, 10:13:35 PM »

A canoe trip to Collishaw Point 3 days ago, on Saturday.
Lots of migrants here too: a loose flock of about a dozen Horned Grebes, the first ones I saw this season.
I wasn't able to get close enough for a good photo.
Some Heermann's Gulls too; I had never encountered them on this side of the island.

October 4, 3:44 pm

At last, after many tries, a clear picture of a Black-bellied Plover. They are still hanging out in flocks, so possibly still different ones arriving from migrations.
3:50

Each rock is its own little universe, with a collection of birds on it. Here, two Plovers are jockeying for space.

My favourites are still the Greater Yellowlegs, with their great yellow legs. They are difficult to approach but again I got lucky. Here is one with three Black Turnstones, one yawning.
4:02

winterwren
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« Post / Reply #2 on: October 07, 2014, 10:29:50 PM »

So, we're just starting on our way back from this little jaunt, when suddenly an eagle bursts into flight from the shore just around the corner!

Ekf had her camera in hand and caught a beautiful picture of the eagle in flight. I'm hoping she will post it soon.

The eagle landed somewhere in a tree and we heard a brief call. Another eagle was flying high overhead, and the first eagle was calling out! Territorial behaviour? This must be Mom or Dad Savoie.

We finally found her perched right at the top of the nest tree. Her? I do think so. That brief call had the strange resonant notes of Mom Savoie.
Click on this picture and look at the eagle's left leg.
Sure looks like a silver band to me.
October 4, 4:20 pm

Better view here.

boonibarb
HEGPS
Forum Guide

Canada Canada

« Post / Reply #3 on: October 08, 2014, 09:48:03 AM »

Here is ekf*s foto!
She says -

This is the handsome eagle from #6 nest I spotted yesterday while ocean-canoeing with my friend Wren. So handsome he simply must be one of Mom and Dad Hornby's offspring.

wooohoooo!
OpieK

« Post / Reply #4 on: October 08, 2014, 10:34:41 AM »

hooray Wren and ekf!
winterwren
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« Post / Reply #5 on: October 08, 2014, 12:00:22 PM »

Thanks Booni for posting ekf's photo. I'm so glad she caught that moment, the most dramatic sight of our outing.
amazedbyeagles

« Post / Reply #6 on: October 08, 2014, 12:26:34 PM »

Beautiful Eagle!!!! Thanks for posting!  love
Rajame
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

United States United States

« Post / Reply #7 on: October 08, 2014, 09:32:33 PM »

Ahh... Inspiring Eagle photo! Thanks!
heartssmiles

Your soul lights up the room as if the sun is beaming directly.
winterwren
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« Post / Reply #8 on: October 09, 2014, 11:48:13 PM »

I returned to this territory the next day. The weather was so nice, and I had a little time before sunset, so I just went.

On the way I saw the same loons as the day before but got better pictures this time.
This one is a youngster, I believe. From what I read, a winter adult would still have some fine vertical striping on that white neck band.
He's moving food from his crop.
October 5, 5:20 pm

Right nearby was an adult right in the middle of moulting. I had never noticed this before, but their bill changes colour! It's black during the summer. and silvery with a dark tip like the youngster's in winter.
I don't see any stripes remaining on the neck, though. Well, Mr. Sibley, what am I missing here?

winterwren
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« Post / Reply #9 on: October 10, 2014, 12:06:30 AM »

I also saw the Horned Grebes again. They had started dispersing, scattering over a larger area. I still had no luck getting pictures of these shy birds.

At Collishaw Point, everything had changed. The larger reefs that had been full of Turnstones and Surfbirds were now wall-to-wall mergansers!
A few were also flying further east, and Mishi saw them at Grassy Point a bit later.

October 5, 5:43 pm

Mergansers are really shy too and I didn't want to force into flight a tired flock, freshly arrived from migrations. The breeze was blowing my boat all over the place, so I just took a few pictures and quickly retreated.
Here's the clearest, showing that they are Common Mergansers, females and juveniles. The juveniles have an extra white patch just below the eye.

Closer to shore were still a number of shorebirds: Black Turnstones, Black-bellied Plovers, Surfbirds, and Greater Yellowlegs.
I got a few decent shots of the Yellowlegs... Be still my heart!  heart
5:53

One of the many nice things about Collishaw Point is the gorgeously-coloured rocks, especially at sunset.

Here's another Yellowlegs. Oh, they have such beautiful feet!

Here's a little group of Sandstones and Surfbirds. While trying to sneak up on the Yellowlegs I landed almost right on top of them. They stared at me but did not stop preening.

winterwren
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« Post / Reply #10 on: October 10, 2014, 12:12:08 AM »

And when I came into view of the nest tree... There were now two eagles on it!

Here's one...
October 5, 6:06 pm

And here's the other.

Welcome home, Mom and Dad Savoie!
winterwren
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« Post / Reply #11 on: January 07, 2015, 12:41:37 AM »

A little Christmas day paddle through this territory...

The morning's bright sun has faded to afternoon haze.
Still, a shot of one of the Savoie eagles perching on the nest tree, for the record...
December 25, 2:35

A little further along, a Harlequin ventures close enough for some decent photos...
3:10

Rear view of the head.

Cawatcher
HEGPS

United States United States

« Post / Reply #12 on: January 07, 2015, 08:41:29 AM »

Wonderful way to celebrate Christmas Wren. Thank you for sharing
winterwren
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« Post / Reply #13 on: May 07, 2015, 02:05:41 AM »

On May 5 I paddled by this nest about an hour before sunset.
The sun was shining on the nest and an adult eagle was perched on the same branch as in the previous posting, just a few feet above the nest.

On my return about an hour later, an eagle was now in the nest, seeming to tend to something.
Eaglets?
That adult eagle stayed there as long as I remained in the area.
winterwren
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« Post / Reply #14 on: May 31, 2015, 08:09:34 PM »

Here are photos from that outing. The first part is described in the thread for Nest #9,here.

This is the eagle perched above the nest. We can see some white streaks on the branches around the nest. I could still see the pair perched on the tree between this nest and #9 when I took this photo.

May 5, 7:50

I paddled out to the end of Collishaw Point, and on my return I saw these three herons all perched together. Herons aren't particularly gregarious unless they're nesting.
One of the herons is smaller and greyer. This must be a brand-new fledgling!
8:27

8:28

8:29

Pages:  [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

* Theme Changer

Forum Default

Permanently