Author Topic: Nest 32 - Ford Cove - 2014-2015 season  (Read 18503 times)

Offline winterwren

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
Nest 32 - Ford Cove - 2014-2015 season
« on: October 04, 2014, 06:26:53 PM »
Here's what Booni wrote about this nest last year...

Observations, fotos & videos of Nest #32 & it*s territory can be posted & enjoyed here.
Nest #32 used to be in a beautiful old Tree in a grassy field on a cliff overlooking some of the most beautiful sandstone rock formations of Hornby.
The people who live there have a hobby farm, & they very much enjoy their Eagles.
But in the spring of 2013, the Nest was unused!
Which was a huge surprise.
It seems the Eagle pair moved their Nest inland!

This is an excellent fishing area.
The Eagle pair can often be seen perched at Ford Cove, in the trees over the cabins & store, & near the dock there.
i bet they keep an eye on people who have fished & are cleaning their fish & leaving scraps!
When you go down to Ford Cove, not only do you see Eagles, but there is always other wildlife & people life going on too.
From the docks you see the cliffs that extend all the way to the ferry.
These cause updrafts which Eagles of all ages & Turkey Vultures love to soar on!
It is always an adventure to go to Ford Cove.

To read about the 2012-2013 Season, click here.

To read about the 2011 - 2012 Season, click here.

Click Here to read about what happened in the 2010-2011 season.

the story of Nest #32 - Ford Cove - 2009-2010 Season can be found here.

Click here to see wren*s beautiful map of the Eagle*s Nests of Hornby Island for the 2013 season.
You can find this Nest on that map.

The eagles seem to have stayed with their new nest location. Last season the neighbours reported one eaglet screeping away in that new nest.
The older nest had green grass growing in it!

The postings from last season, 2013-14, are here.

Offline winterwren

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
Re: Nest 32 - Ford Cove - 2014-2015 season
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2014, 06:47:50 PM »
On September 21, I received a call from Marielle at the Island Wildlife Natural Care Centre, on Saltspring Island. This usually means that someone has spotted an ill or injured seal... and so it was.

I headed to Ford Cove with the capture gear. On the beautiful sandstone south of the harbour was a group of people who were watching a lovely seal pup. They were only about 30 feet away but the little seal had stayed right there. They said he had gone into the  water for a while but had hauled out again at the same spot when some sea lions passed by.

I wasn't sure this little one needed help. He didn't seem as skinny as some of the other ones we rescued. Fortunately someone there had one of those fancy cell phones, and took a picture and sent it to Marielle. She's got such a good eye. I'd much rather let her make those decisions.

While we waited for the verdict, and eagle flew overhead!
I'm not sure it was one of the Ford Cove adults, but I decided it was good enough to start a new season for this nest.
The eagle flew further toward Heron Rocks, where there was some feeding activity on the water.

Marielle phoned back and told me that this little seal looked skinny, and that his behaviour was also cause for concern. He seemed quite active for periods of time, but he should have swum away from all these people.

In this photo he is taking a nap. He did a lot of napping during our time together.
September 21, 12:49

With a little help from bystanders, the little seal was soon sound asleep in a plastic tub with a net over top. An hour later, he people watching the eagle cam were treated to the sight of Norm Snihur landing on Grassy Point with his helicopter. He delivered the seal pup to Vancouver Aquarium's rescue centre. I was surprised at the destination, but the Vancouver centre had been part of the initial conversation, before I got there; Norm's flying schedule may have played a role also.

Wherever he is, that little seal is now getting the care he needs.

Offline Cawatcher

• HEGPS
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2014, 09:15:01 PM »
Paint videoed Norm Snihur flying The seal to rehab

9 21 1450 norm off grassy to the right down the strait with a seal

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbIwbCPLExk" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbIwbCPLExk</a>

Offline Rajame

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2014, 11:00:47 AM »
Thank you Wren! Once again HEART rescues an innocent one! Makes my heard smile.
:hearts2
Your soul lights up the room as if the sun is beaming directly.

Offline boonibarb

• HEGPS
  • Forum Guide
    • my flickr photos
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2014, 09:29:16 AM »

On october 12, ekf & i were down at Ford Cove.
There was one Eagle perched on the Trees over the store, while another was on top of the warning sign on the floating dock.
i heard a female gulling.
So perhaps this pair have returned.
wooohoooo!

Offline boonibarb

• HEGPS
  • Forum Guide
    • my flickr photos
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2014, 09:41:50 AM »

On october 6, mishi & i were down at Ford Cove walking on the docks looking at the boats & the wildlife.
Inside one of the boats, a fluttering caught my eye.
A poor Song Sparrow was trapped inside one of the boats & was fluttering against all the windows, trying to get out!
We checked the windows & doors of the boat that we could see from the dock, but all were locked up.
There was a small round porthole through which the Sparrow must have gotten in.
Unless they could find their way out through that porthole, this poor Sparrow was not going to live long.
What do we do?
We walked back to the Wharfinger*s office & called the number to reach him & tell him.
It was dismaying when the phone rang inside the empty office & we got the answering machine.
ekf & Donna asked us what was wrong & we told them.
We discussed what to do.
Next thing i know, ekf is gone & someone points out that she is climbing on the boat with one of the locals, trying to get a way in.
Here was me, not wanting to trespass, while ekf just takes the Bull by the horns.
Well, she was able to get in somehow, she captured the Song Sparrow in her hands & let them fly free outside the boat!
Yay ekf!
The Bird flew away, while ekf stuffed the porthole with some line so that this wouldn*t happen again.
Welcome to HEART, ekf, & thank you!
wooohoooo!

Offline OpieK

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2014, 10:30:56 AM »
way to go ekf!  welcome to HEART♥

Offline boodle317

• HEGPS
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2014, 06:35:50 AM »
WTG EKF!   bull taken, by horns!  LOL :eclol

Offline boonibarb

• HEGPS
  • Forum Guide
    • my flickr photos
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2015, 11:21:34 AM »

louis jobidon is a Hornby local kayaker, who gets some amazing footage of Orcas when he goes out on the water.
Yesterday he spotted all these Eagles fishing!

Eagles fishing 

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8x4dMPpMHw" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8x4dMPpMHw</a>

wooohoooo!

Offline boodle317

• HEGPS
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2015, 02:12:21 PM »
my gosh...that is amazing!

Offline boonibarb

• HEGPS
  • Forum Guide
    • my flickr photos
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2015, 10:09:58 AM »

Another video done by Hornby kayaker louis jobidon yesterday.
Looks like transient/Biggs Orcas knocking around a Sea Lion in order to then eat them.
These Sea Lions are GIGANTIC, yet look how much bigger the Orcas are in comparison!

Orca knocking out Sea Lions 

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xnrd_Sh3Bc4" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xnrd_Sh3Bc4</a>

wooohoooo!

Offline Donnae

• HEGPS
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2015, 03:54:14 PM »
WOW, that is something else... they throw them around like a rag doll!

Offline boonibarb

• HEGPS
  • Forum Guide
    • my flickr photos
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2015, 09:45:06 AM »

Otto & i went looking for the Chocolate Lilies & Fawn Lilies at Heron Rocks.
These are a special yearly treat, & i heard they were fabulous, & the time was now to see them.
We went in from the road through the woods, hoping to come out at the far end of the campsite, but we got a bit lost & ended up bushwhacking!
But thanks to that, we got to play peekaboo with this lovely sub-adult Eagle in this gorgeous old Tree on the shore!

april 12 2015 13:40 - sub-adult Eagle near Ford Cove, Hornby Island, BC Canada

https://www.flickr.com/photos/43214021@N08/17225025575/in/photostream/
wooohoooo!

Offline winterwren

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2015, 04:57:37 PM »
Today at mid-day I spent an hour on back trails, looking for a view of the new Ford Cove nest. I had been hearing screeps from Ford Cove in early mornings, but today all was quiet.

After scouting all kinds of lovely new trails, I found myself at the back of a clearing, seemingly too far to the west. I actually was near the old nest site. And that's when I finally heard a screep. And saw wings flapping between branches.

After two seasons, the eagles moved back to their old nest.  :mhihi

I got back out of the woods, down to Ford Cove and out on the shore so I could get a better view.
There are two eaglets on the nest!

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2015, 02:00:57 AM »
 :thumbup:    :eclove  Wren!
Commit random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir