HEGPS - Our Nature Zone
April 21, 2018, 12:13:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register Website Webcam Facebook  
collapse
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Winters' Nest - 2014 season  (Read 7328 times)
winterwren
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« on: September 01, 2014, 10:31:47 PM »

Booni had long suspected that there might be a nest somewhere in the large area between the Dunlop nest and the Olsen Farm nest. I, on the other hand, thought that maybe the area served as a 'waterfront' for the Strachan Valley eagles, who nest inland up Ford Creek, which returns to the sea near here.

Guess who was right?

In past years I had tried twice to walk that stretch of shoreline, listening for eaglets during nesting season... Because I do know that Booni is usually right. Part of that shore is inaccessible except on very low tides, and both times I had to turn around because the walking was too hazardous.

When boating in the area, usually we are making a beeline for Norris Rocks and don't pass near the shore. But last time we paddled past with the Big Canoe, we came a bit closer and I heard a screep! So it was in the back of my mind to return here to check yet again.

On August 9, weary from searching high and low for Scootch, I paddled out from the Dunlop Point territory, westward toward Heron Rocks, intent on nothing in particular except airing my brain and maybe finding some migrant gulls on Downes Point.

I found nothing there but the evening was peaceful and warm, the tide was high and it felt good to be on the water. So I continued, skirting close to the huge boulders that forbid walking access to the shore.

And there it was, again, clearly this time: a screep!

Right on the water, in the middle of the most inaccessible stretch... A nest.
August 9, 7 pm

On a branch low above the nest... Barely visible because of the low light... One eaglet.

One parent, with stained head feathers, was perched in a tree nearby. Mom?

Here is a view south-westward from this territory. The Olsen Farm nest is in one of the prominent trees at the centre of the picture. The new Heron Rocks nest is somewhere in the further grove of dark trees to the right of centre, just above the big rock.

I asked the nearest neighbour what we should call this nest. She thinks it has been there a few years but that the pair moves periodically. She can't see the nest from her house but has seen eagles carrying branches and occasionally hears an eaglet.
She said the escarpment doesn't have a name, but that she would like to have the owner of one of the properties nearby honoured. So, Winters' Nest, for a Mr. Winters, may peace and good health grace his life.
winterwren
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« Post / Reply #1 on: September 01, 2014, 10:42:44 PM »

On August 22, I paddled past this nest again, because I knew that this nest's eaglet was one of the later ones, and I was curious to see if he was still around.

I did not see any eagles here. But heard screeps coming from the Heron Rocks area, which set me on the adventure described in the thread of that nest, starting here.

Tigerlady105
HEGPS

United States United States

« Post / Reply #2 on: September 03, 2014, 02:03:03 AM »

love

Commit random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir
Rajame
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« Post / Reply #3 on: September 03, 2014, 07:08:36 AM »

Your soul lights up the room as if the sun is beaming directly.
Rajame
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« Post / Reply #4 on: September 03, 2014, 07:15:16 AM »

Your soul lights up the room as if the sun is beaming directly.
BBE
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

Canada Canada

« Post / Reply #5 on: September 03, 2014, 08:22:03 AM »

winter - many thanks for the narrative from you eagle search. paddling, watching were you are going and taking pictures along the way. Awesome.

Raj -  lol  lol

Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced. (Anonymous)
Avatar is of Karula (female leopard). May 1, 2013
gzebear

« Post / Reply #6 on: September 04, 2014, 02:05:45 AM »

How cool! Thank you wren! (and booni!)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

* Theme Changer

Forum Default

Permanently