HEGPS - Our Nature Zone
July 20, 2018, 01:28:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register Website Webcam Facebook  
collapse
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nest Tribune Bay Tennis Court - 2014 season  (Read 1172 times)
winterwren
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« on: July 08, 2014, 09:59:58 PM »

This topic is about the eagle nest that is situated near the Tribune Bay Lodge. The eagles of this territory, after making several nest starts over the years, finally completed a nest and raised one healthy eaglet last year.

The nest is near the northeast corner of Big Tribune Bay. It looks as if the territory may encompass at least part of the High Salal escarpment. From this area we often hear the Lunar Rock eagles, whose territory is across a narrow peninsula from here.

The observations from the 2013 season are here.
winterwren
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« Post / Reply #1 on: July 08, 2014, 10:26:10 PM »

I made three visits to this nest in the past three weeks.

These photos are from my second visit, on June 25.

An overall view of the nest:
July 25, 11:12 am

The eagles built right above an existing trail. From it I could see very little in the way of 'white rain' under the tree, but we do see lot of white on the branch in the middle of this second picture.
11:43

I was curious about this hunk of fibrous stuff on the branch in the middle of this picture. It looks like it could be a clump of eelgrass, not surprising in a nest near a sandy beach.
Eelgrass is actually a grass, not a seaweed, but it grows in the lower intertidal zone and to depths of a few metres.

That clump could also be some man-made fibre.
11:44

This morning, July 8, I made a third visit to this site. There were no new signs of activity. I spoke with the nearest neighbour, who told me that on occasion there is a lot of action around this nest; his description sounded as if the eagles are maintaining this territory. But he has not seen or heard any eaglets this year.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

* Theme Changer

Forum Default

Permanently