HEGPS - Our Nature Zone
December 15, 2017, 12:49:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register Website Webcam Facebook  
collapse
Pages:  [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2014  (Read 29204 times)
boonibarb
HEGPS
Forum Guide

Canada Canada

« on: May 27, 2014, 08:13:19 PM »

HEART rescues in 2014
Thank you to our Hornby first responders!

February  11

• "Zen"  -  Great Horned Owl, stunned when he flew into a window, after which he took refuge in a chicken coop.  Rescued by winterwren and transported to MARS. Read his story HERE

March  4

• Canada Goose spotted dragging the left wing at Ford Cove. Gustival & booni, assisted by Louis the Orca kayaker captured the injured Goose. Wing had terrible compound fracture, big bone sticking out, wing upside down & inside out, dragging. booni kept him overnight covered in warm spot, then he was taken to the 8am Hornby ferry & transported across Denman by Mike & Shelley, picked up at Buckley Bay by Allison, but Shelley ended up going all the way as the carrier was too big for Allison*s car. Examined by Reg & euthanized upon arrival. Story & fotos can be found here.

March  9

• Small Seal, rescued by kayakers on Denman. Hornby carrier taken to them by Jim Funk*s Water Taxi & booni. Seal transferred from kayak to big kennel then boated to Deep Bay on Vancouver Island where Seal was transferred to a smaller kennel & driven to Nanaimo for another transfer to eventually end up in care on Saltspring Island. Story can be found here.

May 9

• Female or juvenile Purple Finch with conjunctivitis. Captured & sent to MARS. Was released by MARS. Story & fotos can be found here.

May 27

• Rufous Hummingbird found down in someone*s yard. i suggested she call MARS for instructions. Finder thought Hummer was a fledgling, so was left to see if parent would come feed them. In the morning, still doing poorly, so she began feeding the little one nectar every half hour. Perked up, but not enough. Found CHEK TV News car in the lineup & they transported the box to Buckley Bay where they were met by another volunteer & delivered to MARS for care. Hummer doesn*t appear to be cat-caught or window collision.

June 7

• Adult Bald Eagle reported grounded for three days near carcass in Periwinkle territory. Eagle captured by wren & booni with two helpers & sent to MARS. Story is here.

June 19

• Adult Bald Eagle reported grounded, seemed to be stumbling around on the beach, not flying. Eagle captured by wren & booni with local helper. Will be sent to MARS in the morning. Story is here.

July 5

• Eagle reported walking around on the ground in the Tribune Bay Campsite. Eaglet caught by people there & put in a cardboard box. winterwren transfered them into our carrier & got the Eaglet to a MARS volunteer. Story is here.  The story of this Eaglet continues on the MARS topic here.  

July 8

• Male Purple Finch in my yard, hanging out on the ground, looking poorly. Captured & sent to MARS. Finch was in highly stressed condition upon arrival at MARS & died overnight.

July 16

• winterwren rescues a very young Seal Pup!
    Story here.

July 16

• Female or juvenile Purple Finch captured & sent to MARS with double conjunctivitis. Story here.

July 25

• Tiny Bird found on road, then adult Eagle reported down on the beach near the Heron Rocks Campsite. While looking for the Eagle, a very tiny young Seal Pup was found. Story here.

July 29

• Eagle with broken wing reported uphill & inland from the same one we were searching for above. Captured by HEART & sent to MARS. Story here.

August 16

• Raven grounded & walking beside the road. Captured by HEART & sent to MARS. Story here.

September 18

• Loon reported on the shore looking sick in Belcarra territory. Captured by HEART & sent to MARS. Story  here.

September 21

• wren rescues a lone Seal Pup from Ford Cove. Story  here.

October 6

• HEART acquires a new member when a Song Sparrow is discovered trapped inside a boat at Ford Cove! Story  
    here.

November 1

• An Eagle is reported injured & down on the ground near Tribune Bay Lodge!
    HEART responds & the story can be found here.

wooohoooo!
Tigerlady105
HEGPS

United States United States

« Post / Reply #1 on: May 27, 2014, 08:33:15 PM »

Wonderful, personal care by HEART!  Thank you, Booni... heart

Commit random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir
boonibarb
HEGPS
Forum Guide

Canada Canada

« Post / Reply #2 on: June 14, 2014, 10:41:03 AM »

saturday june 7, Eagle reported down for past three days.
Story is here.

wooohoooo!
Rajame
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

United States United States

« Post / Reply #3 on: June 14, 2014, 06:38:40 PM »

You members of HEART are so remarkable! Who knew when we started a few year ago we would be witness to the rescue, healing and transition of wildlife. Thank you to all HEART with a special thank you to Booni and Wren.

I just love you!

heartssmiles

Your soul lights up the room as if the sun is beaming directly.
boonibarb
HEGPS
Forum Guide

Canada Canada

« Post / Reply #4 on: June 19, 2014, 10:04:16 PM »

6pm tonight, i came home to messages from a local & from MARS.
Eagle down on the beach, stumbling around, not flying.
Eagle captured by wren & i & the local, & will be taken to Buckley Bay in the morning by wren & picked up there by MARS.
Story & fotos here.

wooohoooo!
boonibarb
HEGPS
Forum Guide

Canada Canada

« Post / Reply #5 on: July 05, 2014, 08:20:18 PM »

wren & i got calls today about an Eagle walking around in the Tribune Bay Campsite!
Read wren*s story here.

wooohoooo!
boonibarb
HEGPS
Forum Guide

Canada Canada

« Post / Reply #6 on: July 09, 2014, 08:26:33 AM »

Yesterday morning i was noticing a beautiful male Purple Finch hanging out down on the ground, he seemed to be panting & unwell.
i made a few attempts to capture him then finally managed, using two butterfly nets.
i have bought a nice new/used cat/small dog carrier & i lined it with a towel & was able to pop him in there with the nets then remove the nets.
i then covered the carrier with a towel & ran to catch the 1pm. ferry.
A Hornby woman accepted to take the carrier into Courtenay where Reg met her & picked up the Finch to get him into MARS.

wooohoooo!
BBE
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

Canada Canada

« Post / Reply #7 on: July 09, 2014, 10:38:24 AM »

Booni, thank you for your ongoing 'HEART'. And Wren too.

heart

Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced. (Anonymous)
Avatar is of Karula (female leopard). May 1, 2013
boonibarb
HEGPS
Forum Guide

Canada Canada

« Post / Reply #8 on: July 10, 2014, 08:44:46 AM »

The story of the Tribune Bay Campsite Eaglet continues on the MARS topic here.

wooohoooo!
boonibarb
HEGPS
Forum Guide

Canada Canada

« Post / Reply #9 on: July 17, 2014, 09:14:35 AM »

winterwren rescues a very young Seal Pup!
Story here.

wooohoooo!
boonibarb
HEGPS
Forum Guide

Canada Canada

« Post / Reply #10 on: July 17, 2014, 10:00:25 AM »

Female or juvenile Purple Finch captured & sent to MARS with double conjunctivitis. Story here.

wooohoooo!
boonibarb
HEGPS
Forum Guide

Canada Canada

« Post / Reply #11 on: July 26, 2014, 09:06:43 AM »

Maj called me about an adult Eagle down near the Heron Rocks campsite.
i had already captured a small ill Bird to send to them, but off wren & i went to look for the Eagle.
We found this tiny fella instead.
Story here.

wooohoooo!
boonibarb
HEGPS
Forum Guide

Canada Canada

« Post / Reply #12 on: July 31, 2014, 08:27:41 PM »

The story of that Eagle we were looking for in the previous post continues here. & picks up again at MARS here.

wooohoooo!
boonibarb
HEGPS
Forum Guide

Canada Canada

« Post / Reply #13 on: August 16, 2014, 08:14:38 PM »

Update from NIWRC about three Eagles transferred from MARS to them.
i believe the electrocuted Eagle was the one HEART captured near Olsen Farm.
The one-eyed Eagle is the one HEART captured at Phipp*s Point.
The juvenile is Camper, found in the campground near Nest #24.

August 4

We admitted 3 bald eagles from Mountainaire Avian Rescue this week that need time in our flight cage. Sadly, one had to be euthanized after a large electrocution wound was found. One large adult female is now in our flight cage joining 4 others we have. She is missing one eye after a fight with another eagle so we are testing her ability to navigate and fly with only one eye. The 3rd one was a juvenile that was found on the ground in poor body condition.He or she has been introduced to the other juvie we are raising from Nanoose and they are busy entertaining each other. Once they get some practice in our smaller flight cage, they will be moved to the larger facility for flying practice.

wooohoooo!
boonibarb
HEGPS
Forum Guide

Canada Canada

« Post / Reply #14 on: August 16, 2014, 08:27:53 PM »

i got a call today about a young? Raven seen down beside the road walking.
It was reported they seemed to be limping, or that something was wrong with a wing.
It was half an hour later when we met where the Raven had been, & there was no sign of him.
Then i spotted him walking uphill beside the road.
The caller followed him while i brought the rescue gear closer.
He walked into the woods & bush, only walking, using his beak to get past things.
His beak was held open like he was panting or stressed.
We lost him, then spotted him again, heading towards a more open & grassy area.
We decided this wasn*t right, this guy needed capture.
So i circled round to the far side & came back at him that way.
He just tucked himself low into some brush & lay down.
i was able to hold him down with the towel & cover his head, then unentangle the towel from the brush.
He put up no struggle, he just went limp.
We were able to get him into the small carrier, the bottom lined with a towel.
i used the capture towel to cover the carrier.
He scurried around when i moved the carrier, but otherwise was still & quiet.
i was able to find a ride for him to Buckley Bay, & MARS was sending someone down to meet the deliverer & pick up the Raven.

wooohoooo!
Pages:  [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

* Theme Changer

Forum Default

Permanently