Author Topic: Nest #4 - Trimble's Corner - 2013-2014 season  (Read 17633 times)

Offline winterwren

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
Nest #4 - Trimble's Corner - 2013-2014 season
« on: May 08, 2014, 12:34:17 PM »
This is a topic for discussion & photos of Nest #4.

Here is a map of the nests of Hornby Island for reference. Nest #4 is on the upper-left corner of the map.

This nest is quite a few years old. I have been aware of it for about 15 years. In 2010, there was a tremendous storm on Good Friday, and the top of this nest tree broke off, leaving the nest open to the elements. The eagles were already incubating eggs at that time. They brought their gorgeous eaglet to a successful fledge.

There were two eaglets the previous year (2009).
The locals now name this nest "the Broken-Tree Nest". But for continuity's sake we've kept the number Doug Carrick assigned to it in his book The Eagles of Hornby Island, published in 2008.

Click here to view the postings from 2010 - including two photos by Boonibarb of the nest tree before it broke! The nest still produced one eaglet that year, and one in 2011. We weren't sure if the eagles would continue using that nest despite the broken tree top, but they did.

Click here to view the postings from the 2011 season.
Click here to read what happened at this Nest & Territory for the 2012 season. That year there was one fatality, and one eaglet survived.

Last year the territory was occupied and defended but there were no offspring.
Click here to see last year's postings.

Offline winterwren

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
Re: Nest #4 - Trimble's Corner - 2013-2014 season
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2014, 12:50:07 PM »
These eagles are keeping me guessing this year again.
There used to be a gap in the nest's weave near the stump, which allowed us to get glimpses of sitting eagles and even eaglets, but that has been filled in. I have not yet confirmed that anyone is sitting in this nest. There is often one adult nearby.

Here are a few photos from sunrise on April 18; that morning I found both adults in their babysitting tree by the nest.
First, the nest itself. There are some new branches that were not there last year, so it's been worked on.
April 18, 6:57 am

One adult took off as soon as I came in sight, and the other one stayed.
6:58

If it is indeed the females who end up with more stained head feathers, then this would make the case for identifying this eagle as Mom Trimble.

I didn't stay long because these eagles are very shy. I've made a few more brief visits since the start of herring season and they were inconclusive. As usual there were many eagles in the area during the herring spawn. See the Phipps Point thread for more details on the activity in this area.

Offline winterwren

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2014, 09:39:46 PM »
I've been checking on these eagles once in a while and can't find any evidence of offspring in this nest. Last week I went searching the field beyond the nest, looking for a new nest or any clue to the adults' whereabouts. There are still poop shots below their perching trees, but they are often out of sight.

This evening I paddled past their territory. One surprise about my new canoe is that birds seem to let me approach closer than when I'm paddling a kayak. Something about the movement pattern? Two herons, notoriously shy, let me to within thirty feet of them, twice. Then I saw a pair of eagles on a rock just abreast of the nest. I really regretted not having my camera. They let me get really close too, then they took off, one by one, and landed on a tree across the field from the nest. They remained there while I paddled to Collishaw Point and back. At one point another eagle flew along the shore. The Phipps Point eagles sallied out and gave chase, but the #4 eagles stayed perched and quiet.

Offline boonibarb

• HEGPS
  • Forum Guide
    • my flickr photos
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2014, 07:54:20 PM »

i found the Trimbles, still a cozy pair, one day on the beach in front of their Nest.  :heart

july 5 2014 12:29 Trimble*s Corner pair

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4J2XtFI33E" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4J2XtFI33E</a>

wooohoooo!

Offline boonibarb

• HEGPS
  • Forum Guide
    • my flickr photos
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2014, 08:54:30 AM »

Glued at the hip!

july 5 2014 12:45 - Trimble*s Corner pair

https://www.flickr.com/photos/43214021@N08/14706847454/
wooohoooo!

Offline ivani

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2014, 03:50:14 PM »
 :heart Thanks Bonni!!!
iff, ivani

Offline boonibarb

• HEGPS
  • Forum Guide
    • my flickr photos
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2015, 11:21:24 AM »

Walking from Phipp*s Point along the beach in front of Nest #4 Trimbles* Corner Nest, i found this cool sponge washed up on the beach!
Have never seen anything like this here before.

august 24 2014 15:43 - sponge

link to my fotos page - 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/43214021@N08/

wooohoooo!

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2015, 06:52:12 PM »
That sponge is an interesting find., booni.    :nod2
Commit random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir