Author Topic: Nest #6, 7, Savoie Farm, 2013-2014 Season  (Read 12409 times)

Offline winterwren

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
Re: Nest #6, 7, Savoie Farm, 2013-2014 Season
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2014, 11:29:43 PM »
It's on the return trip that I spotted this eagle on the rocks.
Click on the picture and look at the left leg...

April 30, 3:50

Now, Dad Brigantine has a band, but he lives 4 territories to the east. Would he be fishing at Collishaw, and this close to Nest 7?
As usual, I didn't even spot the band in the field. But this was a beautiful eagle, and quite close, so I set myself up to drift on the incoming tide and tried photos from different angles. At one point the eagle flew to a different rock.
3:52

Drifting a little closer... The eagle does a shuggle... This photo catches the end of it. The feathers are all fluffed out and there are little motes catching the light all over the place. And the band catches a little more of the light. On the full size you can see some of the numbers.
3:53

This is my best effort at enhancing the numbers on the previous shot.

Offline winterwren

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2014, 11:43:36 PM »
So, shortly after that last shot, the eagle flew off and I missed the takeoff because I was busy stowing my camera and paddling backwards before the current made me crash into the rocks. That's just how it goes when you take photos from a kayak.

But I was approaching the nest again so I started taking photos of it again.
April 30, 3:57

Again there is nobody visible in the nest. But look at the bottom right of the picture... Two eagles.
These eagles will soon fly off together, past the nest, to chase off an intruder. They will perch on another tree, trilling and trilling. Among them I will recognize the strange accent of Mom Savoie. So it is reasonable to think that this is Mom and Dad Savoie, the owners of Nest 7.

This is not a very good picture, but it's the best I have of that pair. And it serves the purpose. One of the eagles is larger than the other. So, Dad on the left, Mom on the right? Now click on the picture and look at Mom's left ankle.
4:00 pm

Offline linused

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2014, 12:49:08 AM »
Wren  I really enjoy reading about your adventures and love your photos. The harbour seals are wonderful and I have never seen them in such a large group.  Your photos are so clear it's possible to see the band numbers on those eagles.  That makes them more personal.   Thanks for sharing

Offline boonibarb

• HEGPS
  • Forum Guide
    • my flickr photos
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2014, 08:16:36 AM »

Interesting about that band wren!
We have photographed that pair before & not spotted a band.
Did we miss it?
Or is this a new Mum?
i*m going to re-examine fotos i have of this pair.
wooohoooo!

Offline gmadeb3

• HEGPS
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2014, 11:28:11 AM »
What a wonderful way to explore the island and its inhabitants.  Great capture on the band.  So many things to watch for while you are out and about.  Thanks for including us in your adventures
A smile is the universal welcome- Max Eastman

Offline winterwren

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2014, 04:08:47 PM »
Booni, I've been thinking the same thing. I'd be grateful if you would check your photos of past seasons. I don't have much that show Mom and Dad Savoie; I've mostly caught photos of the eaglets. And I'm finding, to my chagrin, that I mostly fail to notice the bands in the field; I usually only catch them when I'm editing my photos.

Offline boonibarb

• HEGPS
  • Forum Guide
    • my flickr photos
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2014, 08:57:23 PM »

wren, this is my Savoie Nest album.
i too focused on the Eaglets, but there are some fotos of the adults.
i don*t seen any bands on their legs in my fotos, but sometimes you can*t see the area of the leg where the band would be.
i*ll keep the band in mind, if i ever find an album of fotos i haven*t finished posting.
& i will look for it, now that i know.

i am not surprised that you don*t see the bands in the field.
i see MUCH more when i look at my fotos on the computer.
That is why they are so nice to have.
wooohoooo!

Offline winterwren

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2014, 09:54:55 PM »
I paddled right past this nest several times during nesting season, and have not found any evidence that these eagles laid eggs this year.
Here was my last attempt, during a beautiful sunset cruise on June 25.

Here's one of the adults, on a favourite snag a couple hundred feet to the west of the nest.
June 25, 8:48 pm

Here's the nest, all lit up by sunset. The second adult eagle is perched to the right.
9:09 pm

A slightly closer view of the nest.

Offline boonibarb

• HEGPS
  • Forum Guide
    • my flickr photos
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2014, 08:40:42 AM »

Thank you wren!
You are doing a FANTABULOUS job of documenting all the Nests of Hornby Island for us!  :heart
wooohoooo!

Offline sparkie

• HEGPS
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2014, 10:34:54 AM »
Thank you wren. I enjoy all your updates . :ecsmile

Offline winterwren

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2014, 10:11:48 PM »
Collishaw Point, the fishing ground of this territory, is a wonderful place to see migrating birds. On September 7 there was a very high tide late in the day, and I went canoeing around the area. The tide was so high, I could float right on top of the point, picking my way between boulders.
Among a group of Black Turnstones and Surfbirds, there was one different shore bird. I'm pretty sure this is a Sanderling. The dark leading edge of the wing shows on other photos as well.
September 7, 4:46 pm

Another oddball flew around the edge of the flock I was watching. At first I thought it was a Greater Yellowlegs, but it isn't! It worries me that several of my sightings seem to key out as Wandering Tattlers; they're supposed to be an uncommon sighting here. But I don't see what else this can be. A juvenile... with strong yellow legs.

Here's part of the main flock I was watching. Some Black Turnstones, Surfbirds with the dotted white chests and yellowish bills (just one of them showing in this picture), and a juvenile California Gull, with a pink-and-black bill, and long long wings sticking out way past a long tail...
4:47 pm

Aha! Here's our mystery bird again.
Juvenile Wandering Tattler? I don't see what else it can be.
5:04 pm

Somehow the legs look thicker than in these other pictures I took during the spring migration. These were adults in breeding plumage. I'm still not sure of my identification.  :help

Offline NancyM

• HEGPS
  • Administrator
    • My Flickr picture albums
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2014, 07:02:42 AM »
wren, love your photos of the shorebirds! The coloring around the eye looks a bit "not quite right" to me for wandering tattler, but  I truly don't know that species.  One group I have found to be of great help on Flickr is the bird identification help group - just include your photo in that group page (with location and date) and ask for comments - a couple of knowledgeable people are sure to respond.   https://www.flickr.com/groups/bird_id_group/

Offline winterwren

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2014, 09:17:32 PM »
Thanks for that link, Nancy; it looks like a really interesting site. I'll try posting my maybe-Tattler pictures there, and see what comes up.

Offline winterwren

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2014, 04:49:03 PM »
The bird ID help group agrees with my identification... Another Wandering Tattler!
Uncanny.

Offline NancyM

• HEGPS
  • Administrator
    • My Flickr picture albums
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2014, 07:18:50 PM »
Excellent, wren!

That group is helpful!