HEGPS - Our Nature Zone
July 19, 2018, 06:51:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register Website Webcam Facebook  
collapse
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lunar Rock/Tralee Point Nest - 2014 season  (Read 7238 times)
boonibarb
HEGPS
Forum Guide

Canada Canada

« on: January 20, 2014, 10:16:08 AM »

This is where you can read obs. to do with the Tralee Point/Lunar Rock Nest territory.
wren & i got called out to rescue a downed Eagle fledgling a few years ago, & thus began our obs of the Lunar Rock Nest.
The next year, it seemed this pair were now nesting on Tralee Point, a bit to the left of their territory, but where there has been an Eagle Nest in the past.
These are both fabulous nesting territories.
To read what happened last season, & to find links to the previous seasons, click here.

Click here to see wren*s map which has marked on it all the Nests that we know of, with labels of how many young to each Nest in the previous years.

wooohoooo!
boonibarb
HEGPS
Forum Guide

Canada Canada

« Post / Reply #1 on: January 20, 2014, 10:22:52 AM »

So, yesterday 9 of us paddled a Big Canoe from the ferry/Thatch, north along the western shore of Hornby & around the corner & along most of the northern shore.
It was cool to try to spot all the Eagle Nesting territories from the water!
As we came around Tralee point, there was an adult pair there.
They flew to the shore & seemed to be tussling over a chunk of food.
As we paddled around the point & into the bay, there was another pair of adults, right in the area next to the house on the beach where we rescued Decker that year!
So, could there now be TWO nesting territories & pairs here? binoculars

wooohoooo!
boonibarb
HEGPS
Forum Guide

Canada Canada

« Post / Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 11:37:02 AM »

Spotted this youngster in a Tree a good ways inland from the Lunar Rock nesting territory, so had to try to get a foto, even though the light was poor for it.
Sort of half yellow, half black beak?
Eyes on the lighter side?
Can*t see tail here.
Breast very white, like a two year old?
Golden cap of light feathers at the top of the head?
Maybe a youngster turning two this year?

january 6 2014 14:33 - immature Eagle perched inland from Lunar Rock territory

i was prepared for the take off, but only got a blurry foto.
Still, shows us the tail colouring, & that line of dark head feathering that is so definite against the whiter breast feathering.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/43214021@N08/12105337915/#

wooohoooo!
amazedbyeagles

« Post / Reply #3 on: January 23, 2014, 05:16:51 PM »

Thanks, Booni!  I love your posts!  Thanks for keeping us informed of other eagles on Hornby!   love
boonibarb
HEGPS
Forum Guide

Canada Canada

« Post / Reply #4 on: April 26, 2014, 09:04:27 AM »

i always admire this beautiful old Tree as i am driving by, & i am often rewarded with a sighting of a winged one!
On this day, there was this beautiful Eagle youngster.
The light is poor, so i had to lighten this foto to show the lovely markings of the feathering.
The eye is getting more yellow, but still looks brown.
The beak is very yellow.
The top of the head & under the chin is turning quite white.
The dark eyestripe of a three year old is developing.
So i*d put the age of this one at two, just turning three.
i believe they are air-drying, perhaps after fishing for Herring!

Look how gorgeous this old Tree is!
Lots of hidey-holes for Nests in there.

march 7 2014 14:35 - young Eagle in Lunar Rock territory

https://www.flickr.com/photos/43214021@N08/14040636083/

wooohoooo!
winterwren
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« Post / Reply #5 on: June 25, 2014, 12:39:01 PM »

So, yesterday 9 of us paddled a Big Canoe from the ferry/Thatch, north along the western shore of Hornby & around the corner & along most of the northern shore.
It was cool to try to spot all the Eagle Nesting territories from the water!
As we came around Tralee point, there was an adult pair there.
They flew to the shore & seemed to be tussling over a chunk of food.
As we paddled around the point & into the bay, there was another pair of adults, right in the area next to the house on the beach where we rescued Decker that year!
So, could there now be TWO nesting territories & pairs here? binoculars

Booni mentioned a couple of times that we could be dealing with two nesting territories, rather than just one with two nest sites in succession.

I've been mulling over that possibility each time I passed by there, usually on the water. Most of the time I do indeed see two pairs in that area.

This morning I finally became certain that Booni was right (as usual dunno ).

First I stood by the Tralee point nest for a while. I had spied one eaglet last time i paddled by there, and got some clearer photos this time, which I'll post at some point.

Then I walked to the area where we found Decker. Again there was a pair of eagles in that area, in addition to the Tralee pair. As usual, I kept thinking I was spotting the nest in various trees way out back but my guesses never panned out when I looked from a different angle.

But after an hour in the area, I finally heard an eaglet screeping, way out back, in the direction from which we heard Decker's sibling.
So the Lunar Rock nest is still occupied, and there is at least one eaglet in it!
winterwren
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« Post / Reply #6 on: July 07, 2014, 11:17:22 PM »

So here are the photos that go with the story from my previous post.
I went to the Tralee Point nest first. On the beach, between the nest and Tralee Point proper, was an eagle with stained head feathers, waiting for the morning bite no doubt.
June 25, 9:16 am

As I made my way to a place where I could see the nest, this second adult flew along the edge of the trees.
9:24

I love this nest tree, with its huge protective arches. A nest in a cathedral. I have waited twenty minutes but now the eaglet has shown up and is calling from time to time. You can see him in silhouette. Click on the picture, then click a second time to see him better.
9:44

Flapping eaglet!
9:45

The flight feathers are still partly sheathed, and this gives us some idea of this eaglet's age. We could compare this one with Scootch on the same date.
Now that I'm looking at the full size (click, click!) I can see the tips of the flight feathers reflecting light in a strange way. I'm wondering if we're seeing feathers with malformed tips from a period of food scarcity?

Folding the wings... Sheaths very visible on this one. Too bad the nest is so far away, this is as much detail as we will get.

winterwren
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« Post / Reply #7 on: July 07, 2014, 11:29:02 PM »

So after this, I walked toward the house where we found the eaglet Decker. Behind it, hidden somewhere in the thick forest, used to be the Lunar Rock nest.

Used to be?

Well, here's another adult, a third one. The parents of the Tralee eaglet are still down the beach.
June 25, 10:03 am

This one lands on a well-used perch tree right next to "Decker's house".

Three minutes later, a fourth eagle, this one with stained head feathers. So we have four adults. Two pairs. This one lands in a skinny tree nearby.
10:06

It's at that point that I heard an eaglet calling, from straight inland. From the same area where we heard Decker's sibling.

So there are two territories here, and two active nests. One eaglet at Tralee, and at least one at Lunar Rock.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

* Theme Changer

Forum Default

Permanently