HEGPS - Our Nature Zone
April 23, 2018, 12:18:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register Website Webcam Facebook  
collapse
Pages:  1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Olsen Farm Nest - 2013-2014 season  (Read 12350 times)
BBE
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

Canada Canada

« Post / Reply #30 on: July 29, 2014, 09:36:17 AM »

Booni and wren - you are both amazing and so good at what you do. Thank you for all your humanity and efforts to protect and save 'wildlife' on Hornby.

Thank you

Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced. (Anonymous)
Avatar is of Karula (female leopard). May 1, 2013
Cawatcher
HEGPS

United States United States

« Post / Reply #31 on: July 29, 2014, 07:55:09 PM »

Booni and Wren , Thank you for your continued commitment
 thumbup
winterwren
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« Post / Reply #32 on: July 30, 2014, 09:50:49 PM »

So here is the next part of what happened here.

Yesterday morning, Booni phoned me to tell me that an eagle with a broken wing had been seen, a ways inland and uphill from the area we had searched on the 25th.

It seemed probable that this was the same eagle.

So we started searching the area of the latest sighting, above Ford Cove hill. Booni looked up from the road and I looked down from a trail, from which the eagle had been seen "tumbling" downhill.

I climbed and climbed while Booni descended, and the area between us became wider and wider. It seemed like another one of those impossible quests.

I was almost at the top of the trail when I spotted a white fluffy, waving like a little flag from a tall blade of grass.
Fluff from the many thistles that grew there? No, it was down for sure, and down from a large bird.
Was this the eagle's trail uphill, or his trail downhill? I had little to lose and went to check. Spotted a second fluffy further downhill. Then a stump with many of them: a stopping place.

That's when I heard a giant rustle.
The eagle was right there!
I couldn't see him but the sound was clear. He was headed downhill.
Booni  was way down below but she heard my call.

I made my way down, slowly, then not so slowly on the steep slippery grass. Down, down I slid until I landed very near this amazing, majestic eagle! I tried getting in a position to put my net on top of him, but he had the advantage of the slope, and took off downhill again.

Booni was ready on the road with her own net, but that eagle shot across so fast, she couldn't get to him!
Across the road, through a fence, and down a bank onto Olsen Farm, just like that.

We regrouped. Someone offered help and took care to stop traffic in case the eagle should burst onto the road again.
We went down below. This time we were downhill from the eagle. Approached from both sides.

I'm starting to see the pattern, the moment when they stop running and turn to all-out attack: on their back with talons and beak wide and sharp.

Down went my net. But this bird was so strong, he started wiggling out.
Down went Booni's net, right on top!
We had him.

Then a towel loose over his head, and control the feet, and slowly gently ease his talons from whatever he's grabbing. In this case the lining of Booni's net.

Maj had taught Booni how to wrap him into a towel, and this is what we did. It seemed like a gentler way to fold his wings and carry him.

This was the strongest, heaviest eagle I had handled yet.

By then there was a whole row of cars all stopped on the hill...
Our helper had done her job well!
Back to the truck and carrier with all these eyes on us.
Then off to the ferry and to meet a MARS volunteer at Buckley Bay.

This gorgeous eagle is now in care of MARS. He's strong and feisty and I sure hope he will make it.
jeavverhey

« Post / Reply #33 on: July 31, 2014, 12:07:55 AM »

thumbup Wrennie, Booni, helper and MARS  group hug Thank you
Rajame
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« Post / Reply #34 on: July 31, 2014, 01:16:19 AM »

Thank you all! I feel such wisdom, strength and compassion from you!

heartssmiles

Your soul lights up the room as if the sun is beaming directly.
MaggiesMom

« Post / Reply #35 on: July 31, 2014, 04:48:35 AM »

wow, what a description of your capture of this eagle!  I feel like I was one of those people on the road watching.  Wish I could have been there to help. Actually I wish the eagle had never been injured and you hadn't the need to do this at all!  But Maj and Reg will take good care of him.

"If you slow things down, you notice things you hadn't seen before." - Robert Wilson, director, author, videographer
Cawatcher
HEGPS

« Post / Reply #36 on: July 31, 2014, 11:01:56 AM »

Eagle Updates: Yesterday, we sent three of our eagles down to North Island Wildlife Recovery Centre in Errington. Two are adults in need of gaining flight strength in their large flight pen. Young eagle 'Camper' was sent down to be with other juveniles his own age. The youngest eagle 'Hy' will stay at MARS for now. He had suffered a broken wing in the fall from his nest. Fortunately no surgery was needed, just a good wing wrap. X-rays a few days ago showed the bones are mending nicely.
Reg shows off that awesome wingspan of the adult Eagle captured by HEART on Olsen Farm!

http://www.facebook.com/mars.comoxvalley?hc_location=timeline

NancyM
HEGPS
Administrator

« Post / Reply #37 on: July 31, 2014, 03:32:08 PM »

Thanks, Cali, for the update from MARS.  

Now, which rescued eagle was this?  I looked in the HEART topic and found one from Phipps, one from Periwinkle, Camper .... but I need directions for the story of this Olsen Farm eagle.  Thank you
boonibarb
HEGPS
Forum Guide

Canada Canada

« Post / Reply #38 on: July 31, 2014, 08:36:27 PM »

Here ya go Nancy!

wooohoooo!
Cawatcher
HEGPS

« Post / Reply #39 on: July 31, 2014, 09:55:07 PM »

heart in throat and just reading this .. Great work HEART Team!! heart
gmadeb3
HEGPS

« Post / Reply #40 on: August 01, 2014, 05:01:03 PM »

I have to say that eagle looks wonderful and Reg looks pretty good also.  Best of Luck to the eagle and MARS thanks for all you do for these wonderful Raptors.

A smile is the universal welcome- Max Eastman
idahowa

« Post / Reply #41 on: August 01, 2014, 11:08:32 PM »

A good thing you don't live on a bigger island.  You seem to have your hands full as it is.  lol

Way to go kids!
boonibarb
HEGPS
Forum Guide

Canada Canada

« Post / Reply #42 on: August 02, 2014, 02:50:50 PM »

This foto on Island Wildlife Natural Care Center*s facebook page looks a LOT like the Pup we found below Olsen Farm!

wooohoooo!
winterwren
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« Post / Reply #43 on: August 10, 2014, 10:02:18 PM »

While we looked for the injured eagle, and found the seal pup, I also spotted a small flock of shore birds. I was excited to see these migrants arriving here already.
The next day when I returned, still looking for the eagle, I brought my camera... And found the peeps again. Turns out it was a mixed flock, four of one kind, and another one with longer legs and a longer body.

Here are some of them, almost invisible in the seaweed. My best guess is Least Sandpiper for the smallest ones (the only small peep with yellowish legs), and Western Sandpiper for the taller one, the one nearest to us in this photo (some of the pictures show semi-palmated toes, and the legs are olive-brown, not black).
This is all conjecture: I'm still new at this game. I'm hoping someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

July 26, 6:34 pm

Webbing between the toes is visible in this picture of the probably-Western Sandpiper.
6:36

I initially thought that this photo showed two of the Least Sandpipers in flight, but looking at the large size it seems to me that the rightmost one is larger, has a paler breast and heavier bill. Also more grey-brown on the wing. So that would be the Western.

winterwren
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« Post / Reply #44 on: August 10, 2014, 10:28:11 PM »

The things you see while looking for an eagle...
Western Sandpiper is showing us his beautiful olive legs in this photo. We see a little bit of webbing between the toes too.

July 26, 6:39 pm

And as always this summer, there are Killdeers... This one posing in front of the sculpted sandstone.
6:41

Pages:  1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

* Theme Changer

Forum Default

Permanently