Author Topic: Nest #20 Whaling Station Bay - 2013-2014 season  (Read 12752 times)

Offline boonibarb

• HEGPS
  • Forum Guide
    • my flickr photos
Nest #20 Whaling Station Bay - 2013-2014 season
« on: December 12, 2013, 11:01:06 AM »

This is the thread for posting fotos, videos & discussion of Nest #20 Whaling Station.

This Nest is on Whaling Station Bay on properties that are very busy with people all summer.
The one neighbour of this Nest always talks to me about what he sees going on with his neighbour Eagles.
They are on a beautiful bay, with a lovely sandy family swimming beach.
The Nest is on the western edge of the Bay on a rocky sandstone point.
Around the corner & to the west from the sandy swimming beach is another rocky bay where the eagles do some of their fishing & hunting.
They catch Birds, even a White Goose was reported last year.
In 2012, the Eagles of this Nest took a break from nesting after a good part of their Nest got blown down in a wind storm.
They continued to build the Nest, but did not produce eggs.
Last year, 2013, this Eagle pair raised two Eaglets, but one of them ended up grounded in the populated neighbourhood to the west of the Nest.
You can read about last season, see fotos of the Eagles & read about the rescue of the young Eaglet here

Click here to read what happened at this Nest in the 2012 season.

Here is winterwren*s 2013 map of the Hornby nests, so that you can see where it is.

This is the map of the eagle's nests of Hornby Island for the 2013 season.

It looks very different from the previous map, which you can find here.
The 2011 map is here and the 2010 map is here. I have made some minor changes in the way I record things since 2010, so the comparisons with that year are less exact. Mainly I did not yet know that eagle pairs occasionally take a break for one year without abandoning their territory.  So the nests without issue for2010 show as vacant.

Click on the map to enlarge it; click again to examine areas in full size.

As usual, the coloured pins indicate active nests. The numbers on the heads of the pins are the number of eaglets for that nest. The pins with no white stickers or numbers indicate nests with no fledged eaglets. The pins with a white sticker and no number indicate that we have been unable to find out if that nest produced eaglets.

The labels show two previous years of stats for each nest.

The map shows 24 active nests, up from 22 in 2012 and 22 in 2011. The additions are a new nest at Big Tribune Bay, and Nest #3. Nest #3, or a new nest in that territory, has probably been active all along but we had no firm data on it until this year. In February, I watched an eagle pair mating at the bottom of the Shire while the Shingle Spit eagles were already accounted for elsewhere. Then in early summer, Booni was sent to capture a male eagle in that area. The eagle had a brood patch. The males of Shingle Spit and Phipps Point were both accounted for. So in this sad way we confirmed our long suspicion that there is an active nest in #3 territory.  The Tribune Bay eagles had reportedly been trying to build nests without success in previous years. This is their first successful attempt, with one eaglet fledged.

We confirmed the presence of 15 eaglets from these 24 nests. The numbers were 26 eaglets in 2012 and 23 eaglets in 2011.
Two eaglets got in trouble at fledging time and were rescued and sent to MARS: Big Blue from Nest #24, and an eaglet from Nest #20. These two eaglets are included as survivors on the map.

There was one probable fatality: Belcarra Nest showed signs of having offspring early on, and then all activity ceased.
Including Belcarra, there were 11 nests without issue this year. This is very high compared to 4 in 2012 and 4 in 2011.
Of those, Heron Rocks holds the distinction of having had no offspring for 3 years in a row, so there may be a fertility problem there.

Aside from the Big Tribune Bay eagles with their many nesting attempts, only one eagle pair moved this year: the Nest #32 eagles moved a few hundred metres inland from their long-standing home at Ford Cove.

As usual, the information on this map comes from nest surveys by Booni and myself, and from informal interviews with neighbours and visitors of the nests. My gratitude goes to everyone who contributed information.
wooohoooo!

Offline boonibarb

• HEGPS
  • Forum Guide
    • my flickr photos
Re: Nest #20 Whaling Station Bay - 2013-2014 season
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2013, 11:25:24 AM »

Yesterday we were walking the road past this Nest neighbourhood & we were hearing the pair calling.
Then i saw a big flier out beyond the Trees on the water side, flying right to left past the Nest, then returning, left to right & landing in the Nest Tree.
They were trailing a huge clump of grassy nesting material!
The other Eagle of the pair was calling while this occurred.
i took a peek at the Nest, & it is looking quite substantial on the right side of the Tree.
i suspect it was Mr. #20 bringing in the grasses, going by the calls i was hearing while he flew in.

wooohoooo!

Offline boonibarb

• HEGPS
  • Forum Guide
    • my flickr photos
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2014, 08:06:12 PM »

i do a lot of walking up & down the main road that passes in front of the Belcarra Nest & this road also eventually passes Nest #20.
i had been noticing many new Eagles hanging around the Belcarra territory & posted about that & them here.
i was taking fotos as i could during our walks, but wanted to come back on my own on a day off with my good camera to see what i could see.
The first beach access i went by had this beautiful Tree with a sweet youngster perched there.
He had a sleepy forlorn look to him in the fabulous light of that day.

february 6 2014 14:24 - Myrl youngster

Nictitating membrane half-deployed.

There is a lot of black still in the beak & the eye is still quite dark brown.
A juvenile?
i am thinking more like a one year old turning two because of the golden cap of feathers on the head & the white feathers on the breast, but i am not positive.
The eye is not quite dark brown enough to be a juvenile.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/43214021@N08/12868532264/#
wooohoooo!

Offline Cawatcher

• HEGPS
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2014, 08:13:31 PM »
 :eclove Beautiful booni

Offline boonibarb

• HEGPS
  • Forum Guide
    • my flickr photos
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2014, 08:16:36 PM »

i LOVE the white tips on the back of head feathers!  :heart
The golden cap is pretty gorgeous too.

february 6 2014 14:26:48 - Myrl youngster

Such a yearning look to this one.
Perhaps he is hungry & waiting his turn?
He is looking towards where the food & other Eagles are here.

Breast feathers turning white like a two year old*s?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/43214021@N08/12868528554/#
wooohoooo!

Offline passerine

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2014, 08:28:28 PM »
Sure is velvety looking, i like the goden cap too, pretty bird.

Offline boonibarb

• HEGPS
  • Forum Guide
    • my flickr photos
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2014, 08:32:20 PM »

This youngster could be a sibling of Salal, who got grounded in the neighbourhood near this Tree last year.

february 6 2014 14:27 - Myrl youngster

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rS-rA6vuS6g" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rS-rA6vuS6g</a>

wooohoooo!

Offline linused

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2014, 08:51:04 PM »
Booni      these are beautiful photographs of a lovely youngster    thank you for sharing :heart

Offline winterwren

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2014, 11:27:22 PM »
I visited with one of the neighbours of this nest today. While we had tea, gulling calls and assorted trills sounded from the area of this nest every so often. The nest neighbour is sure that these eagles have been sitting on eggs. She does not know if there has been a hatch yet.

Offline winterwren

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2014, 10:32:48 PM »
I paddled past this nest at sunset, and tried in vain to locate it from the water. While we were nearby, one adult landed in a nearby tree and stayed there. Shortly after the eagle arrived, I heard a little eaglet squeep! The first time I hear an eaglet this year. I did not see the other adult and hope he or she was on the nest.

Offline Cawatcher

• HEGPS
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2014, 06:04:27 AM »
great!  :thumbup:

Offline winterwren

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2014, 11:03:14 AM »
I posted this last because I was worried that the eagle we captured a short distance west of this nest might be one of this pair. But Booni told me that while she was looking for the injured eagle, she heard both adults of this nest.  So the eagle was an unmated visitor, or one of a different pair.

Booni got some beautiful photos of that eagle and is the best one to tell that story because she was involved from the start. The HIP Trippers are going to MARS today and hopefully will bring us back some news of the outcome.

Offline winterwren

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2014, 12:06:51 AM »
These photos are from May 20.
I was driving past Clamshell Beach and from the corner of my eye I saw an eagle swoop to the water and catch a fish!
I stopped at the next beach access, which is very near. By the time I got my camera out, two adult eagles were perched on the very same tree that you saw in Booni's last series of photos.

They are both looking toward Nest 20.

May 20, 2:42 pm

One of the eagles shuggles...

Then one of them takes off, and the other soon follows.
2:44

They flew across Middle Bay and perched in a tree above Nest 20, and stayed there. So they have to be the Nest 20 adults... I was surprised to see them both off the nest, but this was one of the first really hot days of the year.

Offline boonibarb

• HEGPS
  • Forum Guide
    • my flickr photos
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2014, 09:40:32 PM »

We were in this Nest territory twice today, walking & wandering.
i had my ears open the whole time for Eaglets but heard none.  :ecsad
i definitely heard Mum #20, & her hoarse cachunk, & Dad #20 with his higher-pitched calling.
We wandered closer to the Nest Tree, & i noticed the lack of poopshots under it.  :ecsad
On the other side of the Tree is dense Salal.
It is COVERED in small poopshot splashes!
So perhaps at least one Eaglet here.
wooohoooo!

Offline winterwren

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2014, 01:17:14 PM »
I guess I have had more luck hearing the eaglet in this nest. Starting on June 7, each time I passed by (usually on the water) I could hear some screeps, just one voice.

On June 21 I got permission to watch the nest from a private property. I have not found any good viewpoints from the water or the road.

Here was one beautiful eaglet!
June 21, 2;36 pm

2:37

I went around looking for a better window onto the nest, and saw an adult fly in with a fish!
Wasn't able to snap a photo in time, unfortunately.

Next shot I got, the adult was gone. It may have been one of those one-gulp fish, too.
But the eaglet shifted his position and now we see some wing feathers.
2:41