HEGPS - Our Nature Zone
April 19, 2018, 09:41:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register Website Webcam Facebook  
collapse
Pages:  1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Phipps Point Nest - 2013- 2014 season  (Read 18998 times)
birdvoyer
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

United States United States

« Post / Reply #45 on: June 20, 2014, 10:20:09 AM »

Poor eagle does look pretty rough.  sad  But at least, thru the involvement of HEART and others, s/he stands a chance.  I hate to think of the alternative.  Thanks for providing the details and for everyone's efforts.   heart

"No one cares how much you know, until they know how much you care."
OpieK

« Post / Reply #46 on: June 20, 2014, 12:12:24 PM »

Thank you (((Wren))), (((Booni))) and local for all you do.
winterwren
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« Post / Reply #47 on: June 22, 2014, 10:45:51 PM »

These photos are from June 8, when I spent a while watching this nest with some of our visitors!

First we saw one adult eagle in the nest.
If it is indeed the females who dig in the nest and get stained head feathers, then this would be Mom Phipps. In other seasons, I have a lot of trouble telling her apart from her mate; they are both about the same size.

June 8, 1:57 pm

1:58

Soon after this, we started seeing something dark moving on the right side of the nest!
Hello, little eaglet!
(Click on the picture to see better)
1:59

After a while longer we saw something moving on Mom's other side, but we never saw movement on both sides at once... It could be that the same eaglet moved around, but the other people with me didn't think so. So there is a possibility that there is a second eaglet in this nest, but I have not yet been able to confirm this by sound or sight. I'm hoping someone else who was with me has some pictures that will help sort this out.
linused

« Post / Reply #48 on: June 22, 2014, 11:34:00 PM »

Hi Wren,  you were such a great tour guide, we saw some great nests and even eaglets   WoooHooo.   I did indeed see the two eaglets at once on the Phipps nest,   The eaglet on the left got up while all I could see of the eaglet on the right was just the head.  Unfortunately by the time I got my camera focused the eaglet on the left had hunkered down again.  My skill as a photographer lacks to say the least, but I really enjoyed seeing all those nests and the eaglets.   Thank you
winterwren
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« Post / Reply #49 on: June 22, 2014, 11:45:12 PM »

Linus, thank you!
You've got me convinced to keep on checking this nest.
Last year was the same deal, I kept seeing just the one eaglet for weeks, and suddenly, near branching time, two of them were standing there, tall as you please.

I sure enjoyed visiting with you all and showing you some of my favourite spots.
winterwren
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« Post / Reply #50 on: June 26, 2014, 02:17:00 PM »

So here's my next visit to the Phipps Point nest, when again I only saw one eaglet.
But she's cute enough for two, you have to admit.

In this photo we're catching her in mid-blink, with her nictitating membrane half closed.
June 13, 6:59 am

She has some bits of down clinging to her beak. I guess she's starting to lose her second down from under her new feathers. In a few days there will be white fluffies all over the nest.
7:05

She is looking up at the sky, where three eagles are circling, two adults who conceivably would be her parents, and this third one, a sub-adult with a fringe of dark on the tail. Nobody seems to be raising any objections to this one's presence.
7:06

Here's one of the adults, with a primary tip missing on the left side and a small dark area on the right edge of the tail.
7:07

Little Eaglet cranes her neck to follow them.
7:10

winterwren
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« Post / Reply #51 on: June 26, 2014, 10:30:14 PM »

One more photo from that morning: the same adult eagle, looking intently down at the beach while flying.

June 13, 7:09 am

NancyM
HEGPS
Administrator

United States United States

« Post / Reply #52 on: July 17, 2014, 09:52:22 AM »

june 19 2014 18:49 - down Eagle at Phipps Point

booni, it has been a month since your excellent account of this rescue.  Is there an update on this eagle?  I wonder about his/her eye and also the greenish poop - was s/he tested for lead poisoning? 
Thanks.
boonibarb
HEGPS
Forum Guide

Canada Canada

« Post / Reply #53 on: July 17, 2014, 10:07:00 AM »

Nancy, as luck would have it, i spoke to MARS yesterday because i was sending in a Finch to their care.
This Eagle they are calling a female, she is still with them, but she is depressed & not eating well.
i asked for some update fotos of her in care.

wooohoooo!
winterwren
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« Post / Reply #54 on: August 08, 2014, 11:27:10 PM »

July 8. Another visit to the Phipps Point nest. At first it seems as if nobody is around, or else it's nap time.

And then I see this...
A nice big white fluffy, drifting in the breeze...
July 8, 6:24 pm

I move to where that fluffy came from...
Nobody on the nest indeed The eaglet is on a branch! And the nearby branch is covered in little flags of down.
6:24

Looks as if this eaglet has just had something tasty to eat. Click on the picture, then click again, and have a good look at the beak. And at the snow of fluffies.
I heard some screeping and this eaglet's beak and throat did not move, and the sound seemed to come from further left, further away from the nest. Looked for another eaglet, found nothing, decided I must have been dreaming.
6:28

Leaving, I pass on the opposite side of the nest and here's an eaglet on it! Is it the second eaglet that the HIP trippers saw but that I've yet to glimpse?
Nope, there is the same bit of food hanging from this one's beak. He moved back to the nest while I made my way around.
6:49
winterwren
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« Post / Reply #55 on: August 08, 2014, 11:36:08 PM »

45 minutes later I'm driving back through, so I stop for another look. I'm just in time to see a nice outstretched wing!
We can still see part of the sheaths on the primaries.

So far, I have only seen one eaglet.

July 8, 7:36 pm

winterwren
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« Post / Reply #56 on: August 09, 2014, 09:51:19 PM »

Finally, 8 days later, I stopped by and here were TWO eaglets, both branching!

So Linus and the other HIP Trippers who had seen two bits of bodies surging out of the nest, back in June, were right all along!
Sneaky little eaglet! Makes me wonder how many other nests hold hidden siblings.

July 16, 3:33 pm

Look at all the down fluffies on the nearest branch! You would think there had been a snowstorm.
3:36

Thank you Linus! You kept me looking! heart
auroradawn
HEGPS

Canada Canada

« Post / Reply #57 on: August 10, 2014, 06:51:52 AM »

Wonderful  love
boonibarb
HEGPS
Forum Guide

Canada Canada

« Post / Reply #58 on: August 16, 2014, 08:13:54 PM »

Update from NIWRC about three Eagles transferred from MARS to them.
i believe the electrocuted Eagle was the one HEART captured near Olsen Farm.
The one-eyed Eagle is the one HEART captured at Phipp*s Point.
The juvenile is Camper, found in the campground near Nest #24.

August 4

We admitted 3 bald eagles from Mountainaire Avian Rescue this week that need time in our flight cage. Sadly, one had to be euthanized after a large electrocution wound was found. One large adult female is now in our flight cage joining 4 others we have. She is missing one eye after a fight with another eagle so we are testing her ability to navigate and fly with only one eye. The 3rd one was a juvenile that was found on the ground in poor body condition.He or she has been introduced to the other juvie we are raising from Nanoose and they are busy entertaining each other. Once they get some practice in our smaller flight cage, they will be moved to the larger facility for flying practice.

wooohoooo!
linused

« Post / Reply #59 on: August 17, 2014, 11:00:00 AM »

WooHoo  Wren,   two very clever eaglets. They are funny, and very beautiful. This nest seems to be very well hidden and the eaglets kept their secret for a very long time.  Many thanks for the updates   heart
Pages:  1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

* Theme Changer

Forum Default

Permanently