HEGPS - Our Nature Zone
January 24, 2018, 02:47:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register Website Webcam Facebook  
collapse
Pages:  1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Phipps Point Nest - 2013- 2014 season  (Read 17580 times)
winterwren
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« Post / Reply #15 on: January 01, 2014, 08:43:23 PM »

The sighting I'll never forget: nine Hooded Mergansers! Four were hanging out near where I saw them in early November, then five more joined them from the far side of Boulder Point, near Nest #4.

Be still my heart!

Here are eight of them (two blending together on the far right).
Christmas bird count, December 19, 10:29

Two males and two females, one of them showing off her wings.
10:30

And here are the five boys together.
10:30

auroradawn
HEGPS

Canada Canada

« Post / Reply #16 on: January 01, 2014, 09:11:26 PM »

The hooded mergansers are so adorable to see, I see a couple here, but to see them in great numbers is wonderful...... I will be looking out for more!
Tigerlady105
HEGPS

United States United States

« Post / Reply #17 on: January 02, 2014, 12:36:23 AM »

I enjoy seeing/watching Hooded Mergansers...esp. the females' fancy 'hairdos'!  Thank you for sharing your photos and reports, Wren and all who contribute pics and comments.

Commit random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir
winterwren
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« Post / Reply #18 on: March 17, 2014, 09:20:54 PM »

I was working at Phipps Point today, March 17, and this morning the place was wall-to-wall eagles. It looked (and smelled) as if there was a small late spawn in the area, mostly north of the old ferry ramp but later there may have been some on the other side too. (Hard to tell because the wind made the shallow water muddy.)

No fishing boats in sight... They all went home.

By afternoon there were mostly gulls left, with some eagles of all ages cruising by from time to time.

Around March 3 there was a fairly good spawn in the area, followed by a second one two days later.
Cawatcher
HEGPS

United States United States

« Post / Reply #19 on: March 18, 2014, 07:10:44 AM »

thumbup
PamNY

« Post / Reply #20 on: March 18, 2014, 07:20:35 AM »

Love hearing your news Wren -- also the mergansers are wonderful.
winterwren
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« Post / Reply #21 on: March 19, 2014, 06:51:34 PM »

Here are some photos I took on March 17. They puzzle me. The eagles' behaviour at the time already puzzled me, and now that I see the evidence, I am Officially Puzzled.

All that follows happened while herring were spawning in the area. There was some fresh turquoise colour in the water, and the extent of it was expanding, so there were fish around. I could smell them, too. The smell of herring is very different from the smell of decaying herring roe, which we could start to smell a few hours later on the ebb tide.

This eagle seems to be carrying the kind of gnarly old branch that I had been pruning off the orchard I was watching from.
What the picture doesn't show is that a short distance to the left is a youngster, flying hard in pursuit.
Also I'm seeing some dark tips on this eagle's tail feathers. So this is not a resident of the local nest.

A few seconds before, I had watched some intense sparring for what looked like a strand of seaweed.
 puzzled

This eagle does seem to have a bulging crop.

March 17, 10:38

winterwren
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« Post / Reply #22 on: March 19, 2014, 06:56:52 PM »

Less than a minute later, I watched a 3-way altercation for a "prey" that again seemed un-fish-like.

Click on the picture to see better.
March 17, 10:39

Whoever was carrying the coveted prize has let it go. There are two chunks visible, one near the feet of the lower eagle, and one at the very bottom of the picture. It looks, again, like seaweed (or maybe lichen).

I've never seen an eagle take interest in herring roe on seaweed. Is that what this is?
winterwren
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« Post / Reply #23 on: March 19, 2014, 06:59:45 PM »

Here's yet another eagle, carrying something dark that I can't identify. It is certainly not a herring.

March 17, 10:52

linused

« Post / Reply #24 on: March 19, 2014, 09:54:50 PM »

I wonder if these eagles are playing?  Maybe Eagle football?  Play doesn't always make sense but it sure can be fun. Great shots  especially the altercation.
boonibarb
HEGPS
Forum Guide

Canada Canada

« Post / Reply #25 on: March 22, 2014, 09:49:26 AM »

Driving from the ferry towards Phipp*s Point just after noon, we spied an Eagle or two or three or four in every tree!
What was going on?
So when i got home i loaded up my gear & went back to photograph some of them in the beautiful light.
But when i got there, they were all gone again!
i could hear a few, & spot one here & there, & there was a lot of soaring going on, but the only one remaining to photograph was this young sweetie.
Perhaps a three year old just turning four?
Nice yellow beak, mostly white on the tail but still some brown, eye almost yellow, head turning whiter but still a shadow of the dark eye band of a three year old?

march 21 2014 13:00 - young Eagle

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDW9Al4Z1_o" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDW9Al4Z1_o</a>

wooohoooo!
boonibarb
HEGPS
Forum Guide

Canada Canada

« Post / Reply #26 on: March 22, 2014, 09:58:40 AM »

A Raven joins the youngster, watch how they react!  heart

march 21 2014 13:22 - young Eagle

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZD1gvD6rZ_A" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZD1gvD6rZ_A</a>

wooohoooo!
boonibarb
HEGPS
Forum Guide

Canada Canada

« Post / Reply #27 on: March 22, 2014, 10:13:30 AM »

So i was marching up & down the road, looking for Eagles, & i was at a high cliff overlooking Phipp*s Point Beach.
i could see Eagles of all ages perched on the rocks near the water.
Then i noticed the beach.
There was like a snow drift of white stuff piled high all along the beach as far as i could see!
Was this all Herring Roe?
Yes it was!
Millions & billions of eggs, solid eggs, in waves & ripples, interrupted by rivulets that show you some places are like 8" thick!
It was hard to capture to show you the magnitude.
This video gives an inkling of the amazingness.

march 21 2014 14:06 - Herring Roe on Phipp*s Point Beach  

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xl5Vrbwe2Hk" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xl5Vrbwe2Hk</a>

wooohoooo!
boonibarb
HEGPS
Forum Guide

Canada Canada

« Post / Reply #28 on: March 22, 2014, 10:28:19 AM »

Here is a closer up foto of the thick part of the pile.
The rivulet shows you how deep this was!

march 21 2014 13:54 - Herring Roe on Phipp*s beach

Here*s a close up of some eggs, stuck to seaweed, which most of what was on this beach wasn*t.
You can even see two little eyes in some of them!

Look at all the pretty colours in the small stones & sand around this piece of roe-covered seaweed!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/43214021@N08/13321061773/#

wooohoooo!
fol-di-rol

Canada Canada

« Post / Reply #29 on: March 22, 2014, 11:10:43 AM »

Thanks, Booni ♥ - that was lovely to see close-ups of the herring eggs - just impossible to imagine how many! 
Pages:  1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

* Theme Changer

Forum Default

Permanently