HEGPS - Our Nature Zone
July 19, 2018, 06:51:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register Website Webcam Facebook  
collapse
Pages:  1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shingle Spit Nest - 2013-2014 Season  (Read 57403 times)
Cawatcher
HEGPS

United States United States

« Post / Reply #90 on: April 26, 2014, 07:03:06 PM »

eek! What a Mug!  love the eye color but the beak aka teeth is rather frightening
boonibarb
HEGPS
Forum Guide

Canada Canada

« Post / Reply #91 on: April 27, 2014, 10:28:39 AM »

Okay, so this isn*t quite Shingle Spit, but across the water from it at the Denman ferry dock at Gravelley Bay.
There were three gorgeous Eagles here, but i only had time to catch this lovely youngster before we had to leave.
The colouring of this one made them blend into the beach really well.
This is perhaps a three year old turning four?

april 25 2014 09:16 - young Eagle on the beach

https://www.flickr.com/photos/43214021@N08/14013142516/in/photostream/

wooohoooo!
winterwren
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« Post / Reply #92 on: June 12, 2014, 12:56:04 AM »

On May 31, in this territory, a very unusual sighting!
A Humpback Whale!

Humpback Whales had been hunted almost to extinction. In the past ten years or so, it has been more obvious that their numbers and range have increased at last, fifty years after their brush with oblivion.

Around Hornby, they are still a very unusual sighting. This is only the third time I ever see one around here.
This one surfaced a few times near us, showing us the telltale peaked back, then swam north for ten minutes, and then started tail-slapping, over and over again, raising huge splashes.
The photos are from about half a mile away.
May 31, 9:10 am

Sandor3

Canada Canada

« Post / Reply #93 on: June 12, 2014, 06:07:27 AM »

Friends were out fishing last week roughly south of Quadra Island and saw an adult and calf.  Apparently they were in the area for a week or so, but alas, I didn't see them.  Great photos, wren!

"We tend to forget that happiness doesn't come as a result of getting something we don't have, but rather of recognizing and appreciating what we do have."    ~Frederick Koenig

"We aren't the only ones that live on the planet, but we act like it."  ~ Jane Goodall
Cawatcher
HEGPS

« Post / Reply #94 on: June 12, 2014, 07:47:18 AM »

eek! How exciting Wren!
winterwren
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« Post / Reply #95 on: June 22, 2014, 11:05:28 PM »

An update to this discussion... My co-workers let me know that they saw humpbacks again right off Shingle Spit on Saturday the 14th of June. Two Humpbacks! I wonder if they were the same ones your friends saw, Sandor, though when I asked for the crew's impressions they thought that the two whales they saw were roughly the same size. The next day the channel was full of little jumping fishes, about 4 to 6 inches long. Feed fishes on their way to spawn? Juvenile salmon? I've heard both versions and I don't know enough to tell. These fish were larger than the little ones that swim near the shore most of the year. Anyway I'm wondering if those whales were after all that feed.
winterwren
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« Post / Reply #96 on: June 22, 2014, 11:15:22 PM »

June 8... We're checking out a few nests with some of the HIP trippers.

As we approach the Shingle Spit nest, both adults are perched, one atop the nest tree and one on another tall tree nearby.

June 8, 2:30 pm

Notice all the clipped boughs on those branches. Eagles, like many animals, modify their landscape. The tops of the trees at Shingle Spit are looking pretty different after 5 years of residence.

winterwren
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« Post / Reply #97 on: June 22, 2014, 11:28:32 PM »

An eaglet was visible as soon as we saw the nest!
You can just see the tail and primaries of the adult eagle from my first photo at the very top of this one.
June 8, 2:33 pm

The Shingle Spit nest looks like such a loose untidy pile of branches... But this is a very exposed location and the nest has withstood some fierce winter storms without damage.

We watched and waited, hoping to see if there was a second eaglet.
At 2:43, the adult who had been on top of the nest tree flew off.

Meanwhile we still see just one eaglet here. He and the Phipps Point eaglet, not to mention the one from Dunlop Point, seem quite a bit older than Scootch, who still had his second down at this date. These older eaglets have not yet started to lose a lot of down fluffies, so it's too early to use that as a sign of nest occupancy.
2:46

winterwren
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« Post / Reply #98 on: July 19, 2014, 04:13:16 PM »

This morning very early, I watched one of the Shingle Spit eagles catch a fish, deliver it to the nest, return to the same spot in the bay and catch another fish and deliver it to the nest, then perch for a minute or two and then go out again to catch a third fish. It took the eagle a little detour to get enough altitude for a delivery on the third, largest fish - I realise now that flying against the wind, i.e. away from the nest, was the ticket. The choice of a resting perch surprised me, too, as it seemed unnecessarily remote from the fishing spot. But even with the sun still below the top of the mountain, I'm thinking that the orientation of the light would dictate the best angle to see into the water, and therefore the location of the fishing perch.
winterwren
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« Post / Reply #99 on: July 25, 2014, 12:51:26 PM »

I watched this nest from afar at dawn for the last week. The eaglet is now branching and flapping, visible in silhouette from the south side of the Spit.

The other interesting thing... Remember how Mom Hornby lost her voice for a few days a couple of years ago? The same thing happened to Dad Shingle Spit this week. His trills sound percussive, but there is no music to them right now. I first noticed this about 3 days ago. Aside from that, all seems normal.
winterwren
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« Post / Reply #100 on: August 07, 2014, 10:39:52 PM »

On July 31, the Shingle Spit eaglet was soaring above the trees. The next day I saw him perched on a tree near the nest. By the end of the week, August 6, I wasn't seeing any eagles at all in the area anymore. I think they have already left for the salmon rivers.

In the interim, Dad Shingle Spit seems to have regained his voice.

And on August 5 I saw two or three peregrine falcons rasping their way through the air in the area. One with a higher, clearer call, and one or two (difficult to tell) with lower, raspier voices. The week before, they were hanging out in the Phipps Point area according to a local birder.

winterwren
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« Post / Reply #101 on: October 06, 2014, 10:05:06 PM »

So, one evening shortly after sunset, I was playing with my camera, catching birds swimming in a mesmerizing wave pattern... Thinking of the images as abstract compositions... Here are my best efforts.
The bird is a Red-necked grebe. If you click on this photo, you can even see light through the tiny window of his nares.
September 28, 6:50 pm

Not very long after, in the deepening dusk, I spotted a small flock of large birds swimming up the channel as if they were on a serious mission. I took a couple of photos on high ISO, just to identify what they were.

Looks like some Common Loons, and the smaller ones are probably Pacific Loons moulting into their winter plumage.
The lead bird is raising a bow wave. They're motoring. They mean business!
7:10 pm

Suddenly, they all turned around!

I was just wondering what had caused all this... When suddenly...
There was an explosive sound of breath, and whole pod of orcas surfaced near the Spit, right where the loons had been headed!

Their spouts catch the last of the light...

Interestingly, the local grebes and loons don't seem worried, and neither does the local seal. So I wonder what the story was between those travelling loons and the orcas.

gzebear

« Post / Reply #102 on: October 08, 2014, 09:46:25 PM »

wren, I love the grebe photos - the water, the light, the grebe, mesmerizing indeed.
Tigerlady105
HEGPS

« Post / Reply #103 on: October 09, 2014, 08:10:10 PM »

Beautiful patterns of light and dark, Wren!  Like paintings.   love

A pod of orcas!  Wow!    thumbup  I wonder if they are from pods J, K, and L (residents) or a transient pod?    puzzled

Commit random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir
winterwren
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« Post / Reply #104 on: October 09, 2014, 11:27:12 PM »

Tiger, I'm thinking residents because of the utter lack of worry displayed by the resident seals.
Pages:  1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

* Theme Changer

Forum Default

Permanently