Author Topic: Lindsay Wildlife Museum (California)  (Read 91603 times)

Offline beans

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
Re: Lindsay Wildlife Museum
« Reply #120 on: December 13, 2011, 01:30:46 PM »

Turkey Vulture Goes Back to School

At the end of October, Lindsay Wildlife Museum's hospital received a phone call about a turkey vulture that flew into the side of a building at Antioch Charter Academy. It was brought to the wildlife hospital suffering a concussion and a sprained wrist joint. After pain medications and rest it was ready for release in early December. Staff drove the vulture back to the school where it was found, and all of the children and teachers from the school came out to watch the release!
A great big thank you to the teachers and the children at Antioch Charter Academy for caring enough to help a turkey vulture in need!
Read the full story Here
Jean, California

Offline emc

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #121 on: December 13, 2011, 04:49:08 PM »
Super that the kids and the school cared enough about a turkey vulture. So glad it was able to be rehabilitated. :ecsmile

Very interesting that other turkey vultures gathered as he was carried out to be released. So much we don't undertand about the communication involved between the birds.  :biggrin3
beth
from California

Offline Faerie Gardener

« Reply #122 on: December 17, 2011, 09:02:45 PM »
What a nice story.  I remember how cute the baby turkey vulture chicks were in an earlier post!
"In all things of Nature there is something of the Marvelous"  -Aristotle

"A garden is never as good as it will be next year" -Anon

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #123 on: December 18, 2011, 11:26:24 AM »
That's a heart-warming story, Beans.  I hope the teachers who are part of our chatters/viewers/forum members' family will share it with their students!   :thumbup:
Commit random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir

Offline Cawatcher

• HEGPS
« Reply #124 on: December 18, 2011, 11:37:50 AM »
Thank You Beans needed this wonderful story :heart

Offline beans

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #125 on: January 31, 2012, 05:07:43 PM »
The hospital received 32 animals last week, bringing the total for this year to 144.

Two of the patients--a black-crowned night heron and a mallard--were brought to us because they were tangled in fishing line. It's important to pick up discarded fishing line and hooks and dispose of it safely. Over the years many animals have come to the hospital because of fishing line or fish hooks, including turtles and many species of aquatic birds. Even if you are not a fisherman yourself, watch for and pick up discarded line when around bodies of water.

We all know this --  but most people don't understand the problems caused by leftover fishing line and hooks.

From WildCare:

CLICK HERE
Jean, California

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #126 on: January 31, 2012, 05:28:21 PM »
Yes , Beans.  And here is the link to our forum thread about fishing line and wildlife:

http://www.ournaturezone.com/index.php?topic=808.0
Commit random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir

Offline beans

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #127 on: March 31, 2012, 10:28:08 AM »

Release of Golden Eagle Newspaper Article

I knew something was up last Thursday when I arrived for my shift at the hospital.  Most of the staff were gone --  they were releasing a three year old Golden Eagle.  He was found in October dragging his wing in a shopping center.  He was probably hit by a car.  Dr. Shannon Riggs, out chief veterinarian, surgically pinned three fractured bone wings. 

I remember him in his large aviary, standing on a low perch.  My task (with another volunteer) was to give him clean water and deliver 4 or 5 euthanized dead mice.  He slightly raised his wings when I entered and kept an eye on me the whole time.

He was banded and successfully released.  As stated in the article, such a golden eagle release is rate in this area because those brought to the animal hospital usually have been injured at the Altamont wind farm and never fully recoverů..

I also uploaded a copy of the video to YouTube, just in case the video disappears from the web site:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQBPOuIF_To" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQBPOuIF_To</a>
Jean, California

Offline Rajame

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #128 on: March 31, 2012, 10:56:02 AM »
Priceless is correct! Sending hugs to all at Lindsay. :hug
Your soul lights up the room as if the sun is beaming directly.

Offline emc

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #129 on: March 31, 2012, 12:21:33 PM »
Fantastic that he could be released after wing fracture and pinning. I don't know if this can be a teaching example of what can be done with some fractured wings. It would be fabulous if more could be pinned, rehabbed and released.  :biggrin6

Jean, why was the Golden Eagle tossed up for release instead of put on the ground? It still was a gentle release.
beth
from California

Offline beans

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #130 on: March 31, 2012, 12:53:11 PM »
Trish was already holding him for half an hour while he was being banded, measured, and having a blood test.  He was anxious to go.  He arrived in a carrier, of course, but had to be held for all of the above.  In that case, she needed to release him directly from her arms.  In that case, I think a launch must be done, for the safety of both the releaser and releasee.

I've seen raptors, including eagles, simply walk out of their carriers.  As for me, the only birds I've personally released are seabirds and songbirds.
Jean, California

Offline emc

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #131 on: March 31, 2012, 01:42:44 PM »
Thanks for explaining. She did well launching him at a comfortable speed for him.
beth
from California

Offline beans

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #132 on: April 02, 2012, 09:59:30 AM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NjZ8bwjuwk" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NjZ8bwjuwk</a>

Here's another video of the Golden Eagle's release.  The volunteer with the camera did an excellent job of filming his long flight after release.  Bravo!
Jean, California

Offline emc

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #133 on: April 02, 2012, 11:41:04 AM »
Wow! The long flight is fabulous to see! Checking out the area, exercising his wings.  :ecsmile Jean, do you know what the other bird is who flew over?
beth
from California

Offline beans

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #134 on: April 10, 2012, 07:12:36 PM »
The hospital received 98 animals last week, bringing the total for this year to 704.

Twenty-one of the patients last week were caught and injured by cats. Even though there are many other hazards for wildlife in our neighborhoods, free-roaming house cats cause a high percentage of the damage. Keep cats indoors as much as possible. For information on how to make an outdoor cat a happy indoor cat, check the American Bird Conservancy's website: http://www.abcbirds.org/abcprograms/policy/cats/index.html
Jean, California