Author Topic: Lindsay Wildlife Museum (California)  (Read 101174 times)

Offline emc

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
Re: Lindsay Wildlife Museum
« Reply #105 on: July 27, 2011, 12:03:28 PM »
What a delight! Thanks for relating your day, it took us right with you into the avaries. Thanks for explaining re: feeding the jays, only on a branch and in their begging stance. :)
beth
from California

Offline beans

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #106 on: August 02, 2011, 09:47:06 PM »
The hospital received 151 animals last week, bringing the total for this year to 3847.

If you feed birds in your backyard, remember to keep the feeder clean. Many diseases, such as avian pox, salmonella, mycoplasma and trichomoniasis, can be spread from bird to bird at feeders and because feeders can attract large numbers of birds, the potential for spreading disease is large. Clean your feeder at least once a week. Wash it with soapy water and rinse, and then soak it in a 1:32 bleach solution for 10 minutes. Let it air dry before refilling and hanging it.
Jean, California

Offline beans

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #107 on: August 09, 2011, 09:34:03 PM »
A new baby Raven came to Lindsay a couple of weeks ago.  His problem:  emaciation.  He has been eating very well since he's been at Hotel Lindsay!  Today I gave him six young mice, each cut up into four pieces, 2 T mealworms, kibble mix (soaked kibble with minced vegetables -- it looks like turkey stuffing), pieces of fruits & veggies, berries and nuts.

Currently, Baby is in a large kennel, and I have to take him out and put him on top of the kennel when it is cleaned.  His kennel is in a closet-sized room, which we normally use for quarantine.  He will be moved into Aviary 1, where our other Raven lives, on Saturday, after it is thoroughly cleaned.  The Aviary is large so he'll have a place to stretch his wings and fly and run around while he's with us.
Jean, California

Offline beans

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #108 on: August 09, 2011, 09:44:36 PM »
Meanwhile, our Raven who is going to Cascades Raptor Center on Saturday is doing well.  Today I spent about three hours with him, off and on.  Affection training is very important.  He's very relaxed with me and wants to step on my shoulder or hand.  I don't allow this because he will be trained to the glove at CRC, and we don't want him to develop any bad habits before he leaves us.

His new toy is a soft rubber ducky.   I put it in his large, black water dish on the floor.  And now he comes down to the floor to play with it in the water.  He also flew a little today.  While I'm busy changing the sheets on the bottom of the aviary, he likes to sneak up and grab my pants with his beak. 

Here are some pics:

He's moving around a lot, having had his lunch, so it's difficult to get a clear picture of him.  If you look closely, you may be able to see his new tail feathers. 
Jean, California

Offline beans

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #109 on: August 09, 2011, 09:58:47 PM »
The hospital received 179 animals last week, bringing the total for this year to 4026.

Forty-five of the patients were brought to us because they were injured by house cats. Please help us save wildlife by keeping cats indoors
Jean, California

Offline passerine

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #110 on: August 10, 2011, 07:54:38 PM »
Awww, beans love the Raven, TY. :heart

Offline beans

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #111 on: August 12, 2011, 12:57:18 AM »

Video:  Raven Says Goodbye!

Well, I'm packed and ready to go to Cascades Raptor Center in Eugene, Oregon. I'll take my rubber ducky and a few toys. I hear the food is great, and the staff is friendly. I can't be released back into the wild because I don't see very well. I'll have my own outdoor aviary with plenty to do because I'm training to be an education bird.

Corvus corax

------------

Today I told him goodbye.  We had a great time together.  He was calm and happy.  While I was there, another member of the "Raven Squad" came in and gave him some mealworms, which he loves.  I fed him some blueberries. 

He was fascinated with the camera and kept an eye on it.  After I turned it off, he ran around the aviary as usual.  When it was time to go, he followed me to the door as if to say, "you're not leaving already?"  I shall miss him, but I'm so glad he will be at CRC, where he will have a good life, with plenty of enrichment and training. 
Jean, California

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #112 on: August 12, 2011, 01:18:06 AM »
Wonderful story about Raven, Beans.  It is bittersweet to have to say goodbye, while at the same time knowing that he's going to have an even larger role and a good place to live and 'work.'   :heart

He was very interested in what you were doing and your camera!   :nod2
Commit random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir

Offline beans

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #113 on: August 13, 2011, 10:59:18 AM »
From the Lindsay Wildlife Museum Newsletter:

On occasion even wildlife hospital staff is surprised by what comes through the door. They may think they have seen it all but every now and then something surprises them. Before you continue reading, be prepared for squeamish details of two recent cases.

In late July the wildlife hospital received an immature barn owl in serious trouble. It had been attempting to eat a dead ground squirrel when the leg of the squirrel got caught in the bird's lower beak. The rest of the squirrel was hanging out of the owl's mouth. Unfortunately this presented several problems for the owl. It was unable to eat, unable to fly and the dead squirrel attracted flies which laid eggs on both the squirrel and inside the owl's mouth! By the time the owl was found and brought to the wildlife hospital, its mouth was full of maggots. Hospital staff quickly removed the squirrel carcass and the many maggots crawling in the owl's mouth. The owl was given fluids and was placed on an antiparasitic and an antibiotic. It took a couple of weeks for the inside of the owl's mouth to heal but it has since been moved to one of our large outdoor aviaries!

Just as staff thought they had seen it all, then three days after the owl arrived, an immature red-tailed hawk was brought in with the knee of a dead ground squirrel lodged in its throat with the rest of the squirrel hanging out of its mouth. Like in the barn owl's case, flies were attracted to the dead ground squirrel and laid eggs on the squirrel and the hawk. The hawk was completely infested with maggots in its mouth and on its skin around its eyes and beak. Hospital staff removed the squirrel carcass, anesthetized the hawk and flushed many maggots out from underneath the hawk's skin. The hawk also had a large laceration over its throat which was cleaned and sutured. The hawk was given a pain medication, an antiparasitic and an antibiotic. The hawk has now fully recovered and is also in a large outdoor aviary.

Jean, California

Offline emc

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #114 on: August 13, 2011, 11:45:45 AM »
Wow, sounds like the squirrels were tough little guys fighting for all they were worth. Interesting but yucky!

Glad the owl and red taiked hawk were found in time and helped. Hope they can be releaded soon?  :biggrin6
beth
from California

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #115 on: August 30, 2011, 10:21:18 AM »
Beans, how are the owl and hawk doing now?  Thank goodness they could be helped.   :eclove

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir

Offline beans

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #116 on: August 30, 2011, 10:30:16 AM »
I think they are still in their aviaries.  I don't look at them when I pass by (the aviaries have dark green netting on the outside to give the birds privacy) because that makes them nervous. 

This week I'm releasing some birds --  mockingbirds I think.  I'll find out on Thursday.

----------

The hospital received 139 animals last week, bringing the total for this year to 4309.

One of the patients was a brown pelican found at a marina in Oakley with fishhooks in its eyelid and bill. We removed the hooks and sutured the wounds. Please pick up discarded hooks and line around fishing areas. Even if you don't fish, be on the lookout for discarded materials that can injure wildlife.
Jean, California

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #117 on: August 30, 2011, 01:57:25 PM »
Beans, thanks for your reply here.  Sorry about the harm done by hooks and fishing line...I don't fish, but I hope people that do will pay attention to their equipment.

I enjoy your wonderful videos.   :thumbup:

Offline beans

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #118 on: August 30, 2011, 02:08:29 PM »
Thank you :)
Jean, California

Offline beans

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #119 on: September 08, 2011, 12:06:32 AM »
Last Tuesday I transported our young Raven and five Crows to the Wildlife Center of Silicon Valley.  One of the five Crows will spend the winter there.  The others will be released at an earlier date, once they have passed their flight tests. 

Baby Raven (fledgling who came to Lindsay emaciated) is very healthy now, but she (or he) needs time with other Ravens to "wild her up" before she is released.  The Ravens will be released together.

http://www.wcsv.org/
Jean, California