HEGPS - Our Nature Zone
March 24, 2017, 12:59:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Help keep the Hornby cam broadcasting! See this new topic: http://www.ournaturezone.com/index.php?topic=1649.0

Home   Help Login Register Website Webcam Facebook  
collapse
Pages:  1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Helping Camper Fly  (Read 74026 times)
Rajame
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

United States United States

« Post / Reply #15 on: November 04, 2014, 09:21:37 AM »

Wonderful news Boodle! Thank you for the update!!
 group hug yeah

Your soul lights up the room as if the sun is beaming directly.
madrona
HEGPS

Canada Canada

« Post / Reply #16 on: November 05, 2014, 01:06:20 AM »

It was a perfect day for a release!  A small group of local HEGPS members gathered at the Big Qualicum river, to witness Camper's release, and, of course, to remember our dear Mojo.  

Here is a short video of the event.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WmYAHp2AVc" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WmYAHp2AVc</a>

Dedication of Camper's release, in memory of Mojo. 

Opening the carrier.

Camper took only a little while to turn himself around in the crate and hop out - but it did seem like an age!  I was struck with how calm he appeared to be, and how great he looked.

Camper emerges from the carrier

Wildness reminds us what it means to be human, what we are connected to
      rather than what we are separate from. - Terry Tempest Williams
madrona
HEGPS

Canada Canada

« Post / Reply #17 on: November 05, 2014, 01:23:48 AM »

It was lovely to watch Camper fly so strongly, circle around, and head off towards Hornby!  

The very last glimpse of him he was a distant speck in the sky and he appeared to be over the water, heading in the general direction of Hornby - he really looked like he knew exactly where he was heading.   love

Arrow shows Camper as a distant speck!

ETA: Added last sight of Camper as he became a distant blur - but I am sure there will be other photos.  All of the photos I have used were 'stills' from the video, to show the sequence of events.

Wildness reminds us what it means to be human, what we are connected to
      rather than what we are separate from. - Terry Tempest Williams
boodle317
HEGPS

« Post / Reply #18 on: November 05, 2014, 05:31:30 AM »

What a wonderful release!  Thank you to all who attended to honor MoJo.  Great Video and pics.!
Donnae
HEGPS

Canada Canada

« Post / Reply #19 on: November 05, 2014, 08:42:15 AM »

.Fantastic video and photos..... thanks to all who attended the dedication to Mojo and the release of Camper.... Camper looked wonderful and it was so great to see him fly to freedom!!! Thanks also to HEART for rescuing him and to those that looked after him so he could have a second chance... Now Camper fly free and good luck... I know Mojo is smiling!
winterwren
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« Post / Reply #20 on: November 05, 2014, 02:00:37 PM »

I went walking on the Big Qualicum estuary earlier in the morning, while the tide was low and the eagles were still feeding. There is a lot of water in the river but still a good number of fish carcasses on the bank. I took this photo from the bridge, just as the clouds were starting to clear. We ended up with beautiful weather.
This was the setting for Camper's release. He flew from the south shore, which is on our right.
There are six eagles within view, and a few more outside of the frame. There are also seals lounging on the shore, geese, a heron, some mergansers and gulls and several other kinds of seabirds. (Click on the picture, then click again to see them all.)

Big Qualicum, November 4, 9:29

Now we skip to early afternoon... A MARS volunteer has picked up Camper at NIWRA and brought him to the site. Camper, after a long hesitation, steps out of his carrier and into full, unrestricted daylight.
1:18 pm

He looks around for a few seconds more...

Then he's off.

As he crosses the river into the unknown it strikes me, possibly at the same time as it strikes him, that he's never flown this far before, ever in his life. His wings pause, but there is no wall now, no need to stop. On he goes, around the far clearing and out of sight. A feast of fish will await him here on the next low tide.
amazedbyeagles

« Post / Reply #21 on: November 05, 2014, 02:41:10 PM »

Wow!  What wonderful photos, Wren!  And I love your narrative!  Your assurance about company and food supply make my heart sing!  The joy of seeing a now-healthy eaglet make his way successfully and amazingly into the wide wide world! love
Donnae
HEGPS

Canada Canada

« Post / Reply #22 on: November 05, 2014, 05:03:12 PM »

Thanks Wren, great photos and narration.   
boodle317
HEGPS

« Post / Reply #23 on: November 05, 2014, 05:43:36 PM »

great shots wren.  I was thinking the exact same thing as i watched the video!  As Camper was out over the water and seemed to be heading Hornby way....I said to myself....don't get too tired over that water, kid!!!  This is all new to you!
winterwren
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« Post / Reply #24 on: November 05, 2014, 07:43:14 PM »

I am in the process of posting more photos about the area where Camper was released. (I doubt that he undertook the crossing to Hornby, by the way. I saw him round the corner and glimpsed him heading left again through the trees. He probably gave his wings a good try and then found a tree nearby to rest from all this excitement.)

To learn more about Camper's new home and fishing buddies, check out the postings, starting here.

Rajame
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« Post / Reply #25 on: November 05, 2014, 09:29:48 PM »

Thank you all for participated in the Camper release! Such a beautiful day with a beautiful outcome.

Hugs to all!
Rajame
huggie

Your soul lights up the room as if the sun is beaming directly.
Tigerlady105
HEGPS

« Post / Reply #26 on: November 06, 2014, 07:32:34 PM »

What a joy so see Camper fly!  Very nice panorama photo with all the birds, Wren.   love

Commit random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir
winterwren
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« Post / Reply #27 on: November 08, 2014, 07:29:14 PM »

I should add what was for me the final touch of my time at Big Qualicum, right after Camper flew off, carrying with him our thoughts about Mojo.

This is what I saw next. I don't know if anyone else noticed.

You have to click on the pictures for sure, to see the colours.

Big Qualicum, November 4, 1:31 pm

passerine
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

Canada Canada

« Post / Reply #28 on: November 08, 2014, 08:14:11 PM »

I did notice, I thought something had startled them to flight. Did not realize they were red-winged black birds. Way cool. They were probably migrating? I wasn't fast enough with my camera to catch them.

Good one Wren.
Pages:  1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

* Theme Changer

Forum Default

Permanently