HEGPS - Our Nature Zone
January 24, 2018, 02:48:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register Website Webcam Facebook  
collapse
Pages:  1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where and How to Volunteer  (Read 37745 times)
Faerie Gardener

United States United States

« Post / Reply #45 on: July 04, 2013, 05:04:04 AM »

Thanks, Luv, I will forward the info on to my knitting friends!

Gze, how did your mealworm farm fare over the winter? Did you still have "takers" ?  I have been thinking of starting one, but wondered if it is too late in the season.

"In all things of Nature there is something of the Marvelous"  -Aristotle

"A garden is never as good as it will be next year" -Anon
luvthebirds
HEGPS

« Post / Reply #46 on: July 06, 2013, 08:31:27 PM »

Thank you  Faerie Gardener   love

Nurture yourself with Nature - luvthebirds
(and don't forget to screep for what you need)
BBE
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

Canada Canada

« Post / Reply #47 on: July 07, 2013, 12:41:04 AM »

Thanks for the post about the need for baby bird nests, beans!  Our local rehab, Wildcare, is in need of some of these nests.  On their site they also mention the Native Songbird Care and Conservation organization, and use their same type nests.  Here is a link to the Wildcare site with the information about the nests and how to make them:
www.wildcarebayarea.org/site/PageServer?pagename=Animal_Emails_BabyBirdNests_June2013

That link also has a clickable link to the knitting instructions, which are at this site:  www.wildcarebayarea.org/site/DocServer/knitted_nests2.pdf?docID=3901

If you are a knitter, you can help baby birds at Wildcare, NSCC, and/or possibly your local wildlife rehab!

These nests are so easy to knit.  Once I got into the rhythm of knitting again with double pointed needles and wasn't interrupted I could knit do two in an evening. I have sent several to the link given by 'beans' in April http://nativesongbirdcare.org/  

Sat. evening I started on one of several I'll send to the group mentioned by Luv at Wildcare, NSCC.

The pattern indicates to divide the stitches on four 'dpns' (double pointed needles).  While hard to find in Canada 'dpns' in the US are sometimes sold 5 to a package (4 for the stitches and one to knit them).  Having knitted socks eons ago I am used to knitting with stitches on 3 needles and using the fourth to knit with.

I also found it easier to cast on the stitches on a round needle and then knit them onto the 'dpns'.

When I have the first one finished I'll post a picture of it. The finished product does like the one in the photo posted by beans. The cast on stitches cause the roll at the top.

smile

Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced. (Anonymous)
Avatar is of Karula (female leopard). May 1, 2013
BBE
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

Canada Canada

« Post / Reply #48 on: July 07, 2013, 10:30:07 PM »

Completed birds nest  smile

View of the nest as it would be placed to receive one or more birds:

Additional views:

Looking into the nest:

Looking down onto the decreases (at the bottom of the nest):

Upside down view of the nest :

off to bed

Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced. (Anonymous)
passerine
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

Canada Canada

« Post / Reply #49 on: July 08, 2013, 06:14:45 AM »

Those are wonderful BBE what a sweetheart you are to make them. heart

I guess you can wash them out by hand after they're used?
boodle317
HEGPS

« Post / Reply #50 on: July 08, 2013, 06:32:37 AM »

Great job BBE.  Wow...they are so cute!  Thank you so much for doing this.  We "non knitters" marvel!
emc
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« Post / Reply #51 on: July 20, 2013, 05:21:17 PM »

Beautiful nests ! Not that the nestlings care what color they are,  chuckle. Job well done.

Need to dust off my knitting needles and see what these fingers will still do,  lol

If the yarn is washable, and I would think they would want that, couldn't they go in the machine ?

beth
from California
BBE
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

Canada Canada

« Post / Reply #52 on: July 21, 2013, 11:06:45 PM »

Re: Bird nests

Yes, washable yarn. As per Jean's message way back, one direction is that "The yarn should not be fuzzy, so toes don't get caught."
http://nativesongbirdcare.org/uploads/How_to_Make_Knit_Nests_.pdf

On their Facebook page they posted a photo of one of my nests with wee birds in it. They obviously 'line' it with a square of fabric = perhaps for 'mishaps' question

Fingers on strike this past week, but I do two and half more nests knitted. When I have a few more they will be off to the organization Luv posted.  http://nativesongbirdcare.org/uploads/How_to_Make_Knit_Nests_.pdf
They borrowed the directions from the other group and wrote
The soft nests flex like a wild bird's would, and they are soft under tiny feathers and feet. These tightly-knit nests can also be easily cleaned by throwing them into the washing machine, which is an invaluable component of all the equipment our baby bird foster parents use.

Welcome to the 'Nest Nitters'.  nod

gzebear

« Post / Reply #53 on: November 12, 2013, 07:15:37 PM »

Faerie Gardener, I just saw your question about the mealworms!

My mealworm farm was a huge success. My first babies, so exciting ....

I ended up with LOTS of mealworms, and then early this summer they developed a mite infestation. After battling them for a couple weeks, I finally released everyone - beetles, mealworms and mites - to the compost bin in July. I had a busy summer going by that time so I thought I'd let myself and my studio recover from the mite ordeal and maybe start another farm this winter.

I have learned a lot about raising mealworms since that video I posted earlier. There is much better information at Backyard Chickens (www.backyardchickens.com) or ask me, I'll tell you everything I know!

Faerie Gardener

« Post / Reply #54 on: November 14, 2013, 07:45:41 AM »

Ooo, thank you!    love
 I will probably do some reading and plan to give this a try this Spring!  Thank you!  (I think my sister has that book!)

"In all things of Nature there is something of the Marvelous"  -Aristotle

"A garden is never as good as it will be next year" -Anon
Pages:  1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

* Theme Changer

Forum Default

Permanently