Author Topic: Hornby Eagles Nest & Territory Cam VIDEOS ~ OCTOBER 2012  (Read 52361 times)

Offline NancyM

• HEGPS
  • Administrator
    • My Flickr picture albums
Hornby Eagles Nest & Territory Cam
« Reply #45 on: October 06, 2012, 03:22:50 PM »
Mum perched on Flat Top tree. She preens and looks around .

Here are some screencaptures that I got while Mom (I think it might be Mom!) was on the Flat Top Tree around 10 AM this morning.

In the next-to-last picture, it seems that Mom's "dark part" on the back of her head is visible, but in the last picture, she seems to have Dad's front-neck-feather wedgie.

Offline sparkie

• HEGPS
« Reply #46 on: October 06, 2012, 03:43:36 PM »
Thank you Nancy looks like we have our work cut out for us . The changes in such a short vacation for mum  are causing  head scratching . Every molt is a different molt  :mhihi

This looks like sea lions  feeding and having fun in the current .

http://youtu.be/MOMRyNvmM7g

In this one sea lion    comes wayyyy   out of the water

http://youtu.be/JIS1nvJQKgs

Offline Cawatcher

• HEGPS
« Reply #47 on: October 07, 2012, 08:19:07 AM »
Dad and Mom to BST Oct 7th 2012

Mom and Dad arrive at BST 10-07-12

Offline mishikeenhquay

• HEGPS
« Reply #49 on: October 07, 2012, 04:53:04 PM »

This morning the eagle known as 'possibly Mom' landed on a tree next to the flat top tree. This is a tree that I believe I have seen both Mom and Dad use as a sort of 'fishing tree' when I have been on Hornby.  It is close to the water, and at the edge of Grassy Point. I took a screen cap of the eagle this morning sitting in this spot.

I searched through several folders of Hornby pictures and found this picture of Dad perched further down in what I believe is the same tree last October.

I also used, with booni's permission, two photos that she has recently posted and put them side by side. 
Although the light, the angle, and even the perch of both of these pictures are quite different, you can still see obvious differences in these two photos.  To the left is Mom Hornby last August 22, the last day she was seen on Hornby.  To the right is the eagle perched in Peters tree that has been seen the last two days, using Mom and Dads perch trees.  I see darkish marks around the eyes of the eagle on the right.  It is also MUCH thinner, and the head feathers look MUCH cleaner as do the tail feathers.  Could this possibly be a family member dropping by?

"Our true enemies, as well as our true sources of strength, lie within."

Offline NancyM

• HEGPS
  • Administrator
« Reply #50 on: October 07, 2012, 07:44:25 PM »
Thanks for that comparison, Mishi.  I have been curious about the eagle that we have seen on the BST and the Flat-Top Tree the past couple of days.  We all sure thought it was Mom - or Dad - at first, but I for one have grown a bit uncertain, and it sounds as though you are also.

The things I noticed looking at booni's and wren's photos, and the cam:

-dark feathers on the back (coverts?)  (I think Mom and even Dad have lighter feathers there)

- no dark "part" on the back of the head in the photos (even tho it seems to be there sometimes in the webcam screencaps)

- pattern of the neck feathers does not match Mom's but is similar to Dad's (deep wedge-shaped split on the left side of his neck)

-Mom has a discolored area near the corner of her mouth, especially on the right side.  This area has been documented several years in a row, and is obvious in the recent picture that Mishi posted above but this eagle has clean white feathers in that area.

-the calls we have heard (and that wren described) are not completely Mom-like

- the dark-ish feathers near the eye suggest a much younger eagle - possibly only 5 or 6

Dad and Mom to BST Oct 7th 2012

I saw one eagle take off from, circle round, and then land on the BST - and a second bird flew past the tree.  Not sure it was Mom and Dad (I was not even sure the second bird was an eagle!)

Offline Cawatcher

• HEGPS
« Reply #51 on: October 07, 2012, 10:29:34 PM »

Offline Cawatcher

• HEGPS
« Reply #52 on: October 08, 2012, 08:32:33 AM »

Offline ivani

« Reply #53 on: October 08, 2012, 12:29:13 PM »
 :eclove
Thank you, Cali!
Wonderful sunrise!
iff, ivani

Offline emc

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #54 on: October 08, 2012, 12:53:06 PM »
Gorgeous sunrise and morning scene  :biggrin3
beth
from California

Offline winterwren

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #55 on: October 08, 2012, 01:15:37 PM »
Thanks for that comparison, Mishi.  I have been curious about the eagle that we have seen on the BST and the Flat-Top Tree the past couple of days.  We all sure thought it was Mom - or Dad - at first, but I for one have grown a bit uncertain, and it sounds as though you are also.

The things I noticed looking at booni's and wren's photos, and the cam:

-dark feathers on the back (coverts?)  (I think Mom and even Dad have lighter feathers there)

- no dark "part" on the back of the head in the photos (even tho it seems to be there sometimes in the webcam screencaps)

- pattern of the neck feathers does not match Mom's but is similar to Dad's (deep wedge-shaped split on the left side of his neck)

-Mom has a discolored area near the corner of her mouth, especially on the right side.  This area has been documented several years in a row, and is obvious in the recent picture that Mishi posted above but this eagle has clean white feathers in that area.

-the calls we have heard (and that wren described) are not completely Mom-like

- the dark-ish feathers near the eye suggest a much younger eagle - possibly only 5 or 6

I saw one eagle take off from, circle round, and then land on the BST - and a second bird flew past the tree.  Not sure it was Mom and Dad (I was not even sure the second bird was an eagle!)

Hard to compare a foreshortened picture with one taken from a distance. Mom's always been on the long and skinny side.

I've had very little luck telling eagles apart (pairs from other nests) by the shape of their neck-line; it seems to change depending on their posture. Also Mom had a major head-feather moult last year, and lost most of her tired grey feathers. I have not done any comparisons of her neck line before and after that. The CU cam screen caps date from before that moult.
Brown feathers are at their lightest when they are worn, just before they moult. They are at their darkest when they are fresh - just after a moult.

Behaviour, on the other hand, should not change much.

I'll keep watching, hopefully catch more photos.
I love a good mystery!  :investigate2

Offline NancyM

• HEGPS
  • Administrator
« Reply #56 on: October 08, 2012, 04:28:15 PM »

Also Mom had a major head-feather moult last year, and lost most of her tired grey feathers. I have not done any comparisons of her neck line before and after that. The CU cam screen caps date from before that moult.

wren, I was thinking too of the photos that Booni posted in the ground obs thread - the ones of Mom from Aug 12, 2012, just before she left for "vacation."  In those photos, she has dark feathers on the back of her head and also near the corner of her mouth.  It is unlikely that she moulted all of those feathers in the 6 or so weeks that she has been gone.

I too love a good mystery - and comparing details!  Thanks for your pictures and comments.

Offline mishikeenhquay

• HEGPS
« Reply #57 on: October 08, 2012, 05:54:25 PM »

It was my understanding, and I might be way off here, that eagles and most all birds will do the most moulting when they are on the nest and therefore the most at rest.  It requires a lot of energy to moult.  If that is so....then it does not seem that the tail feathers and other feathers moulted from the last time booni photographed mom, and the return.  The pictures that I posted side by side were also posted to note the color differences in the feathers. 

As wren states when new feathers grow in they will be bright white (tail) and much darker (wings).
"Our true enemies, as well as our true sources of strength, lie within."

Offline beans

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #58 on: October 09, 2012, 11:49:48 AM »
According to Birds of North America (Cornell Lab of Ornithology), molting schedule is in stages.  First of all, juvenal plumage is complete at about 11–14 wk, often postfledging. 

Prebasic I molt begins in spring of second calendar year with head and neck; body- and flight-feather molt later, and finally tail in late Jul–early Aug. 

Prebasic II molt begins in spring of third calendar year and continues in summer and fall with the same feather-replacement sequence as described above.

etc.

There is a long and detailed description of molts and plumage, through the sixth year.  Anyone can access this information by joining Birds of North America on the Cornell Lab of Ornithology site.  I frequently visit this site to learn about the birds at the wildlife hospital.  It is a treasure trove of information!
Jean, California

Offline sparkie

• HEGPS
« Reply #59 on: October 09, 2012, 01:12:16 PM »