Author Topic: Windows 7 vs Windows 8  (Read 7620 times)

Offline beans

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
Windows 7 vs Windows 8
« on: December 22, 2012, 01:05:48 PM »
My new Samsung laptop came with Windows 8 installed.  

The first thing I did was install a neat little program from Microsoft that would give me a Windows 7 Start menu.  I don't want my PC welcome screen to look like a Smart Phone.

You can get that little program here:

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33642_7-57543008-292/win8-startbutton-gets-your-start-menu-back-in-windows-8/
Jean, California

Offline beans

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
Re: Windows 7 vs Windows 8
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2012, 01:26:15 PM »
Programs you use and love on Windows 7 may not work on Windows 8.

Firefox has some problems.  It won't always load a website.  It stalls.  I figured out how to fix that:  simply empty the cache each day.  Rather annoying, though.  Also, if you go to websites with live streaming video which use WMV format, you will have to find and download and install the Windows Media Player 11 plugin.  Starr Ranch Barn Owls has two windows:  one with flash and the second with WMV.  I switched to IE.

Applian recording suite may have some conflicts with Windows 8.  I could not completely uninstall the suite, and that caused problems with System Restore.  Oh yes, if you need to use System Restore, look in "Recovery."  I ended up with a corrupted file, which I have not been able to repair... so far.
Jean, California

Offline beans

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2012, 01:29:31 PM »
If you need to buy a new PC, and you can't find one with Windows 7, you may be able to convert Windows 8 to Windows 7.

The first thing you must do is go to the PC manufacturer's website and search for a Windows 7 driver for your specific model.  And then you must buy a copy of Windows 7 from Microsoft. 

And then you get to install these items, along with Windows updates, etc.  If you are not PC-savy, best to hire a tech.
Jean, California

Offline beans

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2012, 01:33:12 PM »
Of course, there are some good things about Windows 8.  For example, Windows 8 Movie Maker has solved the audio problems.  You can increase or decrease the volume of the video clip and independently increase or decrease the volume of the added music, narration, etc. that you add to your video.

You can get more information on the Microsoft website. 
Jean, California

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2012, 07:56:53 PM »
Jean, thank you so much for the info above.  As yet I'm not using Windows 8, but super news that
Windows 8 Movie Maker has solved the audio problems.
  :thumbup:
Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced. (Anonymous)
Avatar is of Karula (female leopard). May 1, 2013