Author Topic: Nest Little Tribune/Seawright - 2011-2012 Season  (Read 10318 times)

Offline winterwren

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
Nest Little Tribune/Seawright - 2011-2012 Season
« on: July 16, 2012, 03:35:06 PM »
This topic is for discussion of the Little Tribune/Seawright nest.
Two summers ago, Booni heard screeps in this area, and took some photos and videos of an eaglet! But neither of us had been able to find the nest... Until today!  :biggrin3

The nest is in a surprisingly small tree, but it may be a very old tree, the kind that gets beaten up by the wind and grows slow and dense. It is on a farm that faces Little Tribune Bay, so it should probably be called the Little Tribune nest, to distinguish it from nest 25, which is on Seawright Road itself.

Click Here to see last year's discussion about this nest.

Click Here to see the discussion from 2009-2010, which is when Booni discovered the existence of this territory.

The following map sums up our observations of the nests of Hornby Island for the summer of 2011. The information was collected from direct observation by Booni and myself, and from conversations with the nests' neighbours.
Click on the map to see the larger size, and click again to explore details.
Nest Little Tribune/Seawright is located on the right side of the map, on the bottom edge of Tribune Bay.
It is marked with a translucent pin instead of a green one, because I could not get any data for this nest last year.

Offline winterwren

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
Re: Nest Little Tribune/Seawright - 2011-2012 Season
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 10:12:38 PM »
So, today I went to the Seawright Road area, hoping to sort out the situation. So far we had one eaglet sighting, and nothing else. There had to be a nest somewhere around, but where?
As soon as I parked, I heard screeps nearby!
I went down the beach access path, peering between the trees.
Here was my first sight of the eaglet...

June 16, 1:21 pm

I still could not see the nest.
Then a whole lot of things happened in short sequence.
The eaglet's screeps got more and more urgent... Yes, you know what that means!
I saw an adult spiralling up from the beach, and then flying right by the eaglet, who took off in chase.
 :eceek A fledgling!
Pam NY described the same behaviour in Cooper's Hawks on chat today; she called it "luring". So, yes, the adult lured the eaglet back to the nest. The eaglet hesitated... She must be a new fledgling! But then she took off, and I followed, crashing through the brambles.

That's when I found the nest!
By the time I found a clear view, with no branches in the way, the parent had taken off and the eaglet was out of sight, eating.
Look at that tiny nest tree! It only has a few small branches below the crown, and a half-dead second trunk on the side. No wonder I missed the nest when I was looking for it last winter! I'm used to looking for the biggest, thickest tree around. I never gave that tree a second look!
If you click on the picture, you'll see the silhouette of the eaglet over the rim.

1:23 pm

Offline winterwren

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 10:32:09 PM »
After a good long feed, the eaglet moved into sight again.

July 16, 1:39 pm

With her standing there, the tree looks even smaller. It is only about 50 or 60 feet tall, gnarly and wind-blown. It is dwarfed by even the second-growth trees nearby.

On the other hand, the tree's small size affords me some very nice views...

1:40

Click on the picture, then click again: you can see a little piece of something sticking out the side of her beak, something that got snagged there during her meal.

And she's a good screeper too!
1:53

Offline emc

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 09:54:28 AM »
What an enjoyable hunt! And such a remarkable prize!  Interesting that this tree would be chosen :hmmm
beth
from California

Offline idahowa

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 11:22:16 AM »
You're getting lots of new info in that area!  I enjoyed your description and can imagine "crashing through the brambles".

Offline winterwren

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2012, 04:18:38 PM »
July 16, 1:54 pm.

Not screeping now... Little Triblet is moving food from her crop.

It is so still, and the nest is so close, that I can actually hear her - a couple of wet throaty clicks. Never heard that sound before!

Offline winterwren

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2012, 08:58:31 PM »
June 16, 2:02 pm

Little Triblet is showing us what a strong little screeper she is.
She is in the nest tree; the nest is just below and behind her.

Nest Seawright/Little Tribune, July 16 2012

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93m-gLXBS44" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93m-gLXBS44</a>

Later on, after I went down to the beach, she made some calls that really sounded like an adult female's gulling! So that is what makes me fairly certain that this is a girl.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 08:22:19 PM by boonibarb »

Offline winterwren

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2012, 09:48:20 PM »
Sky, treetops, ocean.

What does she see, what does she hear?

I hear the eaglets in each adjoining nest, so she does, too. She knows they are there, and she knows that they are her kind. Maybe she even sees them. Sometimes the eaglets sound as if they are answering each other, and sometimes not. But for sure they are learning each other's voice - so this is already the beginning of socialization.

But more than anything, she watches her parents.

She watches them perching, she watches them as they spot a fish. Can she spot it too, from her perch? She already starts to screep as they dive for the fish - I've watched that happen, looking into the Olsen Farm territory from a distance. She watches what they do all day long. She learns from them all day long. So, the day she will fly on her own, she will already have that knowledge.

Sky. Treetops. Ocean.

Offline OpieK

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2012, 10:58:51 PM »
mesmerizing wren - thank you so much!

Offline ccfan

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2012, 07:10:26 PM »
 :grouphug WREN!
There is grace afoot in this world and it will find you.

Offline winterwren

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2012, 10:50:40 PM »
July 16, 2:15. One of the parents is approaching the nest from the beach.

Offline Faerie Gardener

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2012, 07:08:16 AM »
Thank you, Wren.Those dark eyes. I love to hear your suggestions, such as why this tree, why she's probably a "she" - What a gorgeous eaglet!
"In all things of Nature there is something of the Marvelous"  -Aristotle

"A garden is never as good as it will be next year" -Anon