Author Topic: Photographers, cameras & questions  (Read 29283 times)

Offline boonibarb

• HEGPS
  • Forum Guide
    • my flickr photos
Photographers, cameras & questions
« on: June 20, 2012, 07:33:01 AM »

Here is where we can discuss our cameras & help each other figure them out.
People can ask questions they have, & others can answer with what they know.
Every camera is different, so you will need your manual to refer to, but they all have things in common.

We can also discuss photography, & the challenges tips & questions associated with photographing Wildlife. 
wooohoooo!

Offline boonibarb

• HEGPS
  • Forum Guide
    • my flickr photos
Re: Photographers, cameras & questions
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 07:40:24 AM »

Ravens & Crows & even Eagles can be hard to photograph!
They are usually against greenery or open sky, which misleads our point & shoot cameras.
Something i have been playing with on my little point & shoot is Exposure Compensation.
All cameras will be different, but on mine it is a button on the Multi-Selector Dial.
It looks like this - +/- .
If you click this on your camera, a little scale opens up with + at one end & - on the other.
For Eagles, i lean towards the - , so i underexpose the foto, compared to what the camera wants to do on it*s automatic settings.
This gives the beautiful dark colouring & definition to the feathers, that gets lost when the camera tends to overexpose.
For Crows & Ravens, it is just the opposite.
i have to overexpose a bit, move towards the + , in order to get the definition of the feathers & the eye.
Here is a series of fotos i took, showing how i was playing with the Exposure Compensation.
See which one you think shows best what you want to see in your foto.
In one you can see the nictitating membrane!
So play with this button when you are photographing everything, always think of it first, before you compose the foto.
For scenery, underexposing works well too!

Slide Show - june 12 1047 - photographing Ravens & Crows

http://www.flickr.com/photos/43214021@N08/7402313688/#
wooohoooo!

Offline boonibarb

• HEGPS
  • Forum Guide
    • my flickr photos
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 07:50:51 AM »

Here is another example of me playing with Exposure Compensation.
In the first two fotos of this Slide Show, the ones after the ferry, you can see that Mishi is dark against the tree.
This was the automatic exposure setting of my camera.
When i checked the fotos, i saw how dark she was, so i moved towards the + to overexpose the foto a bit, & look how she jumps out from the tree!
You*ll notice that everything else in the foto lightens too, such as the mountains & clouds in the background, & the grass in the foreground.
This may not be what you want.
You have to decide what you want to be important in your foto.
& with digital, you can play with settings & take lots of fotos, then choose what you like the best!
& remember what you did that worked, for next time.

Slide Show - june 12 2012 1600 - on the Lower Bench with Mishi

http://www.flickr.com/photos/43214021@N08/7405881888/#
wooohoooo!

Offline Guy

• haidagwaiiphotos
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2012, 08:38:48 AM »
Hey this is great Booni, yep that exposure compensation is really a useful feature I always use it. Also to further narrow down the exposure for birds and give a better chance of getting a good picture quickly (birds tend to fly away) see if your camera has focus points, if so choose 'single point' then in the menu look under 'metering' and choose 'spot' or the smallest possible area. This will focus and read the light from just a tiny area of the picture: the exposure will be set for what you are pointing at not the whole scene. If you have these focus points you can quickly choose which point is 'active': if you want the bird on the right side of the picture choose a focus point on
the right side.

Pretty cool slideshows Booni, looks like a downright scary cliff!
If you're at a party and she's having more fun than you  in actuality your having way more fun than if you were having fun and she wasn't.

Offline idahowa

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2012, 10:21:10 AM »
A couple questions for everyone.....   Are you shooting JPEG, RAW or ?  Assuming that you don't always get it right first time, what editing software (if any) are you using and on what platform?  I have Photoshop Elements on my PC (plus a Nikon app) and am considering a Mac for working with photos & graphics.  I realize the learning curve and cost can be a bit steep on various applications and would love to hear your experiences.

Offline Guy

• haidagwaiiphotos
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2012, 11:42:46 AM »
Hi idahowa, I can give you my take on those. I just about always shoot the highest quality largest size jpeg, RAW just takes up too much room and time for everyday use although for nightshots I use Raw+jpeg, taking both at the same time as sometimes it's hard to get the right w/b and the raw can be changed with better results.

For editing I mainly use iPhoto on my 24" Mac which I love! The reason for using the supplied (with a Mac) iPhoto is because it's very fast to make little adjustments and it's where the photos are stored to begin with. For more extensive edits I use GIMP (free to download), even though I have Photoshop Elements (came with my printer) I prefer GIMP as it's easier to use.

Don't consider getting a Mac: just get one!
If you're at a party and she's having more fun than you  in actuality your having way more fun than if you were having fun and she wasn't.

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2012, 01:48:59 PM »
Booni, thank your for starting this thread and posting your video and comments about Exposure Compensation!   :ty

Your tips and Guy's are exactly what I want to learn and hope people will share here with all of us who enjoy wildlife and photography!   :thumbup:
Commit random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir

Offline Faerie Gardener

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2012, 08:05:07 PM »
This is just great, Booni - thanks for starting this thread!

This will show my ignorance...but if I had an iPad, would I be able to download and edit photos on it? Is  iPhoto available for iPad?
"In all things of Nature there is something of the Marvelous"  -Aristotle

"A garden is never as good as it will be next year" -Anon

Offline boonibarb

• HEGPS
  • Forum Guide
    • my flickr photos
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2012, 10:18:15 PM »

i don*t know anything about Macs, but i hear they are fabulous for fotos.

i shoot finest quality & largest JPEGs.
i was shooting RAW, as my printer wanted me to, but i have turned that off now.
i don*t know how to fiddle with them, so what*s the point, & they take up piles of space.
i downloaded a free foto editing program called Photoscape.
i use it for cropping, darkening or lightening, & for Slide Shows.
My Nikon also came with a nice foto editing program that i use for everything except the Slide Shows now.

wooohoooo!

Offline blackster1

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2012, 10:31:33 PM »
I love this link and feel better because both Booni and Guy have the same experience as I do in shooting raw.  I really like the quality (I have Lightroom) but almost never want to take the time to develop or use up the space so end up shooting jpeg highest quality.  I am learning for me the natural lighting makes a huge difference but the birds don't always show up at my house at dawn or dusk.

Offline mishikeenhquay

• HEGPS
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2012, 05:24:28 AM »

I really like having the exposure option when taking and editing photos.  I also use Photoscape and love all of the options that it offers.  I still have soooo much to learn, but greatly appreciate the sharing of information that can (and will) be found here.  Maybe someday my pictures will get better!!
"Our true enemies, as well as our true sources of strength, lie within."

Offline Cawatcher

• HEGPS
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2012, 06:01:27 AM »
I found this on Depth of field  for landscape photography that is very helpful
https://www.apertureacademy.com/how-to-better-landscape-photos.php

I posted the wrong link before this is the correct link  :mconfused

Offline idahowa

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2012, 07:20:51 AM »
There's also an excellent book that Adrian suggested:

Understanding Exposure, 3rd Edition: How to Shoot Great Photographs with Any Camera by Bryan Peterson (Aug 10, 2010)

It is clearly written and a great tool for those of us needing a refresher on the basics or those just beginning.  Lots of great insights and "aha" moments.

Offline emc

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2012, 09:38:46 AM »
Faerie, thank you for asking your question.

This is just great, Booni - thanks for starting this thread!

This will show my ignorance...but if I had an iPad, would I be able to download and edit photos on it? Is  iPhoto available for iPad?

Looking in the App Store  iphoto is available for iPad 2 and above. I haven't found one yet for iPad 1, but still looking. Besides the App, iPhoto, there is a picture storage that comes with the iPad, which can be arranged into albums. Also they can be downloaded to photobucket or flicker from there, or to main computer easily.
beth
from California

Offline nan2945

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2012, 02:13:14 PM »
re ipad question - the answer, for me, is that you can crop and use an automatic adjustment but that's about it- I'm told you can get iphoto for ipad but if you are going to move pix to a mac computer, it wouldn't be necessary to do that.....I got a little connector to download pix to my ipad on the HIP trip - it was great - didn't need extra cards and I could delete and crop - now all left are on my laptop for more editing - tho cropping is my most used edit