HEGPS - Our Nature Zone
August 18, 2017, 06:52:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Help keep the Hornby cam broadcasting! See this new topic: http://www.ournaturezone.com/index.php?topic=1649.0

Home   Help Login Register Website Webcam Facebook  
collapse
Pages:  1 ... 26 27 [28]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Eagles in Other Places  (Read 98755 times)
Snookums
HEGPS

United States United States

« Post / Reply #405 on: November 15, 2016, 04:40:09 PM »

What a wonderful story and beautiful experience for you Donna!  You must be thrilled to bits and I am so happy for both you and the eagle.

thumbup

'Twere not best that we should all think alike. It is a difference of opinion that makes horse races.  -- Mark Twain
Tigerlady105
HEGPS

« Post / Reply #406 on: November 15, 2016, 10:25:29 PM »

It's so nice to read about our eagle fans and what they are doing.   love

Commit random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir
Snookums
HEGPS

« Post / Reply #407 on: February 23, 2017, 04:56:08 PM »

Golden Eagle Rescued After Being Caught In A Hunterís Trap Is Being Treated Like Royalty

http://honesttopaws.com/eagle-trap-foot/?as=799&bdk=b799

'Twere not best that we should all think alike. It is a difference of opinion that makes horse races.  -- Mark Twain
winterwren
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« Post / Reply #408 on: February 26, 2017, 09:14:53 PM »

I took a little break along the Courtenay River on my last town trip.

Two years ago there was a precariously perched nest near where the Tsolum and Puntledge Rivers merge into the Courtenay River. Dawn was the one who first found that nest. I did 2 postings about it in this thread, starting here

On the day of my visit last week, all traces of that nest were gone but there was a very wet eagle perched on that tree. I love the way the wings are held half open and the feathers are sticking out every which way. The tree - a Cottonwood, I think - echoes that disorganized organization.
 duck
February 22, 11 am

There was a lot of preening going on!

winterwren
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« Post / Reply #409 on: February 26, 2017, 09:31:22 PM »

Down the river is the Simms Nest, which I last photographed here.

That was a shocker... I know that last year it lost a couple of upper branches, but this winter's been rough on that nest! All the remaining upper canopy has snapped off under the weight of multiple snowfalls or during last December's wind storms.

February 22, 11:15

Another angle... doesn't look quite so precarious from here.
11:25

I didn't see any eagles nearby but I couldn't stay long. I wonder what this pair will do!
winterwren
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« Post / Reply #410 on: February 26, 2017, 09:39:41 PM »

Later in the day... Near where i saw the eagle, a pair of Trumpeter Swans, sunning themselves and preening.

One of them has his or her eyes closed in the first photo.
Courtenay River, February 22, 12:45

The nearest one has a stain or a worn area or something stuck on his or her bill.

winterwren
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« Post / Reply #411 on: March 21, 2017, 09:30:01 AM »

In early March 2015,  the herring came to spawn on the east coast of Denman Island, facing Hornby Island, two days before the fishermen found them. Carol Hunter spent those two days sitting on the beach in Fillongley Park, and put together this beautiful video footage. Well worth watching in its entirety, it translates the whole sequence, from the herring's arrival to a sated ecosystem full of fish and roe.
When she slowed down the sea lion footage, Carol was able to show why eagles and gulls so often follow the big beasts around. Each time the sea lions surface from inside a fish school, a few fish are driven up to the surface above them. These make an easier catch for the flyers. You can see this in the video.

https://vimeo.com/121960894
Tigerlady105
HEGPS

« Post / Reply #412 on: March 21, 2017, 09:04:09 PM »

Thank you for the video link, wren.

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir
winterwren
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« Post / Reply #413 on: May 15, 2017, 07:44:59 PM »

Here's another story from Denman Island, the island next to Hornby.
I went on a guided walk to Morning Beach and Komas Bluffs, the northeast shore that faces Hornby's own Collishaw Point.
There is a long narrow staircase descending to the beach, and from the top we could see eagles scattered all along the shore, as far as the eye could scan in both directions. The tide was very low. The eagles calmly sat along the water's edge, or on rocks near tide pools.

Morning Beach, Denman Island, May 10

This one was in the middle of the sand, but most were nearer the water.

What had brought them all here? Earlier in the day, from further south, I could see eagles flying in from Hornby toward that shore every few minutes.

We walked south toward Komas Bluffs, keeping to the top of the beach so as not to disturb them. Still, there was a group of humans here, and the eagles normally might have paid attention, but fortunately they all stayed put.

More eagles were perched in trees overlooking the bluffs. We walked directly below this beautiful youngster.

winterwren
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« Post / Reply #414 on: May 15, 2017, 07:57:42 PM »

I had formulated a theory in my mind about what might be taking place... But I didn't expect to find confirmation so soon.

An eagle flew by with a fish! And not just any kind of fish. The shape is familiar to the watchers of eagle nest in our area...
Sure looks like a Midshipman!

Here's another eagle flying by with prey, less visible this time:

This is the time of year when the Plainfin Midshipmen return to spawn. Their return roughly coincides with the hatching of most of the island's eaglets. The Midshipmen lay their eggs in the lower intertidal zone. They remain in the area for most the the eagles' nesting period. The mated male Midshipmen guard the egg masses. I'm told other Midshipmen just remain floating around the area.
There must have been so many eagles here, maybe because the Midshipmen had arrived here and nowhere else yet?

Click here to see the article about the Plainfin Midshipman in our Reference Centre.
winterwren
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« Post / Reply #415 on: May 15, 2017, 08:26:20 PM »

There is a lot of life around the fragile sandy cliffs of Komas Bluffs.

Here, a cavity that seems the right size and shape for a Kingfisher nest!
Komas Bluffs, Denman Island, May 10

Rough-winged Swallows also nest in cavities on the bluffs. Several of them were flitting around.

At the far end of the bluffs, in a big tree halfway up, we saw an eagle nest but couldn't tell if it was occupied.

winterwren
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« Post / Reply #416 on: May 15, 2017, 08:32:16 PM »

Back up the stairs to the top of the cliff at Morning Beach...
An eagle sat at eye level while we ate lunch.

Morning Beach, Denman Island, May 10

After a while, other hikers started down the stairs, and I knew they would have no choice but to walk right below that eagle, so I watched for the inevitable takeoff and caught it on photos.

gmadeb3
HEGPS

« Post / Reply #417 on: August 16, 2017, 08:20:45 PM »

I help as a transporter for our Raptor Rehab Center.  There was a bald eagle that came in a while back with a really strange wound on the top of its head.  They determined the eagle had an electrocution wound.  The eagle was seen by a plastic surgeon and treatment was to do a skin graft from the inner thigh to the top of its head.
  This means the feathers will be dark when they grow in.  Today they released an update on how it was doing.  Seems it looks like all is going well so far and that there is a good outlook for release back to the wild.  I have included a link to the news  article.  

http://www.omaha.com/outdoors/injured-bald-eagle-that-underwent-skin-graft-at-the-zoo/article_775adca0-8204-11e7-a218-d35f67537f32.html

A smile is the universal welcome- Max Eastman
Tigerlady105
HEGPS

« Post / Reply #418 on: Yesterday at 12:40:46 AM »

Ouch! Hope healing goes well, Deb.   heart

Pages:  1 ... 26 27 [28]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

* Theme Changer

Forum Default

Permanently