HEGPS - Our Nature Zone
April 29, 2017, 06:24:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Help keep the Hornby cam broadcasting! See this new topic: http://www.ournaturezone.com/index.php?topic=1649.0

Home   Help Login Register Website Webcam Facebook  
collapse
Pages:  1 ... 26 27 [28]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Eagles in Other Places  (Read 92113 times)
Snookums
HEGPS

United States United States

« Post / Reply #405 on: November 15, 2016, 04:40:09 PM »

What a wonderful story and beautiful experience for you Donna!  You must be thrilled to bits and I am so happy for both you and the eagle.

thumbup

'Twere not best that we should all think alike. It is a difference of opinion that makes horse races.  -- Mark Twain
Tigerlady105
HEGPS

« Post / Reply #406 on: November 15, 2016, 10:25:29 PM »

It's so nice to read about our eagle fans and what they are doing.   love

Commit random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir
Snookums
HEGPS

« Post / Reply #407 on: February 23, 2017, 04:56:08 PM »

Golden Eagle Rescued After Being Caught In A Hunterís Trap Is Being Treated Like Royalty

http://honesttopaws.com/eagle-trap-foot/?as=799&bdk=b799

'Twere not best that we should all think alike. It is a difference of opinion that makes horse races.  -- Mark Twain
winterwren
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« Post / Reply #408 on: February 26, 2017, 09:14:53 PM »

I took a little break along the Courtenay River on my last town trip.

Two years ago there was a precariously perched nest near where the Tsolum and Puntledge Rivers merge into the Courtenay River. Dawn was the one who first found that nest. I did 2 postings about it in this thread, starting here

On the day of my visit last week, all traces of that nest were gone but there was a very wet eagle perched on that tree. I love the way the wings are held half open and the feathers are sticking out every which way. The tree - a Cottonwood, I think - echoes that disorganized organization.
 duck
February 22, 11 am

There was a lot of preening going on!

winterwren
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« Post / Reply #409 on: February 26, 2017, 09:31:22 PM »

Down the river is the Simms Nest, which I last photographed here.

That was a shocker... I know that last year it lost a couple of upper branches, but this winter's been rough on that nest! All the remaining upper canopy has snapped off under the weight of multiple snowfalls or during last December's wind storms.

February 22, 11:15

Another angle... doesn't look quite so precarious from here.
11:25

I didn't see any eagles nearby but I couldn't stay long. I wonder what this pair will do!
winterwren
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« Post / Reply #410 on: February 26, 2017, 09:39:41 PM »

Later in the day... Near where i saw the eagle, a pair of Trumpeter Swans, sunning themselves and preening.

One of them has his or her eyes closed in the first photo.
Courtenay River, February 22, 12:45

The nearest one has a stain or a worn area or something stuck on his or her bill.

winterwren
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« Post / Reply #411 on: March 21, 2017, 09:30:01 AM »

In early March 2015,  the herring came to spawn on the east coast of Denman Island, facing Hornby Island, two days before the fishermen found them. Carol Hunter spent those two days sitting on the beach in Fillongley Park, and put together this beautiful video footage. Well worth watching in its entirety, it translates the whole sequence, from the herring's arrival to a sated ecosystem full of fish and roe.
When she slowed down the sea lion footage, Carol was able to show why eagles and gulls so often follow the big beasts around. Each time the sea lions surface from inside a fish school, a few fish are driven up to the surface above them. These make an easier catch for the flyers. You can see this in the video.

https://vimeo.com/121960894
Tigerlady105
HEGPS

« Post / Reply #412 on: March 21, 2017, 09:04:09 PM »

Thank you for the video link, wren.

Commit random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir
Pages:  1 ... 26 27 [28]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

* Theme Changer

Forum Default

Permanently