Author Topic: Eagles in Other Places  (Read 148244 times)

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
Eagles in Other Places
« on: December 05, 2009, 11:17:36 PM »
Some of our members have been fortunate enough to see Bald Eagles in places other than Hornby Island.  If you have had that opportunity, please share your photos and comments about them with us.

:eclove
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 11:22:53 AM by passerine »
Commit random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
Re: Eagles in Other Places
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2009, 11:18:28 PM »
In December, 2007, my brother and SIL took me to see the Bald Eagles along a river in Wash. State and I saw an adult eating a freshly caught salmon.  A few minutes later, a juvenile came along and landed right where the salmon and the adult eagle were and started to eat some, too.  Then the adult flew off and I wondered if that the juvenile might have been the adult's child or it wouldn't have been so generous?  Hard to say, but it could be...   :ecsmile

If you look carefully, you can see the adult's white head and the wings that actually are those of both the adult and the juvenile, as the older one prepared to fly off and the younger one was landing next to the adult's right side and behind it.  My brother said the juvenile was about 3-4 years old.  Sort of challenges the idea that the adults don't share food with eagles other than their chicks in the nest.   :puzzled2

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir

Offline passerine

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
Re: Bald Eagles in Other Places
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 10:08:14 PM »
Nice Tiger, really interesting & a beautiful photo. It looks like a river i frequent from the rocks & foliage.

I'll bet a few of us have & will have some good eagle stories & pictures. :ecsmile

Offline boonibarb

• HEGPS
    • my flickr photos
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009, 08:19:19 AM »
That*s a GREAT story & foto Tigerlady!!
i LOVE seeing the adult & the young one together like that.
wooohoooo!

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2009, 12:02:22 PM »
This is another picture taken the same day along the river in Washington State.  I was very excited to be so close to a Bald Eagle in the wild!   :binocs

©Cathy G.
Dec. 2007
Washington State

Offline Rajame

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2009, 09:56:35 PM »
Eagle Signs...

Today was an important day for my business life.  I had a meeting with a client in Northern Idaho.  I had some nervous moments for our presentation, pricing, my hair, clothing, shoes, coat or no coat (I am a girly girl ya know) and when I got ready this morning everything came out perfectly... like the world was coming into place a puzzle was almost finished.  The sun was shining so brightly. 

I had about 1.5 hour drive to our client's offices.  As I drove near Coeur d'Alene Lake in Northern Idaho in a place that is truly one of the most beautiful places on earth, I had queries of myself... I wonder how today will go?  I wonder what I will say?  What they will say?  And then, all the wonder turned into Joy when a brilliant Bald Eagle flew from one side of the road across in an arch in front of me to the left side of the road and landed on a tree branch.  What JOY I felt in that moment.  I knew then that my friends were with me cheering me on!

There are going to be days of wondering and days of wonder ahead.  I am very thankful for you all and the great spirit of the Eagle that reminded me of the Hornbys and what we have here.

Blessings to your days too,
Rajame  :heart
Your soul lights up the room as if the sun is beaming directly.

Offline Raptorman

• The Eagles of White Rock
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2009, 10:04:47 PM »
How awesome Rajame!!

I will wish you luck, but I suspect that you already have been blessed.

Good luck  :nod2

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2009, 12:11:56 AM »
What a truly blessed day you had, Rajame!  I can just picture you there with the eagle flying over the road and landing in the tree as if to say, "Your Hornby eagle friends are here and wish you well!"  :heart  Thanks for sharing it with us. 

Offline Donnae

• HEGPS
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2009, 10:51:51 PM »
What a nice story to share with all of us Rajame!!! Yes blessed you are and so are we for knowing you!!  Thanks for sharing!! :heart

Offline Rajame

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2009, 11:26:25 PM »
Thank you for your messages.  I have to tell you that the support of this group is fantastic!  We are blessed.

Hugs,
Rajame  :heart
Your soul lights up the room as if the sun is beaming directly.

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2009, 04:27:04 PM »
Skagit River Bald Eagles web site, where you can see this wonderful area to view Bald Eagles that migrate from Alaska to northwest Washington State in the winter...

On sunny days they soar and on rainy and/or overcast days they perch in the trees along the river.  A good place to stop is Milepost 100 and also the Interpretive Center.

http://www.skagiteagle.org/IC/IC-EagleViewingSites.htm

If you live close enough to go there to see the eagles, don't miss it!  Take a good camera, binoculars, spotting scope and your warmest clothing...hundreds of eagles do their every year for their Winter Vacation - December through part of February.

Offline luvthebirds

• HEGPS
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2009, 11:02:26 PM »
First time I have visited this thread.  Lovely experience you shared Rajame.  :eclove
Nurture yourself with Nature - luvthebirds
(and don't forget to screep for what you need)

Offline passerine

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2010, 11:31:44 AM »
On central Van. Island is a bald eagle nest you can look down into from the top on an embankment the first picture is what you see from the cliff (can you see the nest & white head?) the other picture is taken through a scope.

Offline beans

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2010, 02:08:04 PM »
Thanks for posting these "bird's eye views" of the eagle nest.  And you gave us two perspectives:  wide-angle and close-up!
Jean, California

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2010, 05:39:07 PM »
Thank for for these shots of the eagle in the nest and the beautiful view, Passerine.  The scenery there always makes me want to return for a visit.   :ecsmile

It's interesting to see how different eagles' nest vary in how and where they are constructed.