HEGPS - Our Nature Zone
January 17, 2018, 03:20:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register Website Webcam Facebook  
collapse
Pages:  [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Hornby Eagle Cam  (Read 72211 times)
luvthebirds
HEGPS

United States United States

« on: March 03, 2012, 07:05:19 PM »

We are pleased to announce our new webcam, to be located on Hornby Island, with a view of our favorite pair of bald eagles.....  MOM AND DAD HORNBY!

We are introducing a new look at some old friends.  Our cam will be mounted in a tree near the eagles’ nest. We will be able to see the eagles as well as the area around their nest, from a different perspective. We hope you will enjoy the “new view”!

We feel it important to recognize the vision of Doug Carrick, who, in concert with the Hancock Wildlife Foundation (HWF), first brought us the Hornby Eagles.  Without their vision, we would not have shared in the lives of Mom and Dad Hornby, learning so much along the way.  We look forward to continuing to chronicle the lives of the Hornby Eagles.

We appreciate the generosity of the owner of “Gregg’s Tree”, who gave us the opportunity to make our dream a reality.  Most important, thank you to all of the fans of the Hornby Eagles, who have been hoping and waiting to see Mom and Dad Hornby again.  We are delighted to be able to share this new view of them with you.

We expect the cam to be installed later this month (March, 2012).

This is a map of the Nest Tree territory showing all the various Trees.
(All of these fotos can be clicked & clicked again to see them full size)

This is a foto Dan took from the Nest & that is Gregg*s Tree, 230 feet away.

Here is a foto of Mum perched on the the very top of Gregg*s Tree.
You can see that the trunk has a substantial girth.
in 2011 the Tree was pruned of all it*s dead branches.
There are not a lot of green branches left to catch the wind.
So we are hoping Gregg*s Tree will not sway in the wind too much.
Gregg*s Tree is 155 feet high, according to Dan.
The top of the Nest Tree stump is 120 feet.

This is a view of Gregg*s Tree taken by Dan through the hole in the Nest Tree stump.
i believe we are looking at the edge of the backside of the Nest, you can see the sticks.

This is a foto of Mum on the close up cam box form a totally different angle, that kind of got this whole project going.

This is how Gregg*s Tree looked before it was pruned.
This is Dad fluffing out his feathers to dry them.
You can see his incubation patch!

Nurture yourself with Nature - luvthebirds
(and don't forget to screep for what you need)
Mary Jane
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« Post / Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 08:14:47 PM »

This is a copy of what was announced in chat tonight.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoCF5KB6A44" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoCF5KB6A44</a>

HEGPS is excited to announce we have been given the opportunity to install a cam on Gregg's tree to give us all a new view of our beloved Hornby Eagles.  This will be very different from what we have seen in the past because the camera is 230' away from the nest.  We have purchased a PTZ camera with 37x optical zoom so we hope to be able to show a good view of the nest.

Nothing like this has been done before, that we are aware of, and we don't know for sure what the view will show.  We are hoping we can see into the nest reasonably well plus Mom and Dad flying, other eagles in the area, beautiful panoramic view of the area and maybe witness what happens with intruder alerts.  We hope to be able to see Mom and Dad perched in the various trees close to the nest and also if there are fledging eaglets we hope to be able to see them flying.  The equipment has been ordered - and we hope to begin installation within the next couple of weeks.

We feel it important to recognize the vision of Doug Carrick, who, in concert with the Hancock Wildlife Foundation (HWF), first brought us the Hornby Eagles.  Without their vision, we would not have shared in the lives of Mom and Dad Hornby, learning so much along the way.  We look forward to continuing to chronicle the lives of the Hornby Eagles.

We appreciate the generosity of the owner of “Gregg’s Tree” and the nest tree land owners, who gave us the opportunity to make our dream a reality.  Most important, thank you to all of the fans of the Hornby Eagles, who have been hoping and waiting to see Mom and Dad Hornby again.  We are delighted to be able to share this new view of them with you.  Please join with us on this new adventure, as we all learn together what view we will have and as we learn to operate the PTZ camera.

BBE
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

Canada Canada

« Post / Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 08:19:04 PM »

Awesome News  thumbup

Such fantastic news  nod.  'Dare to Dream', you all did and have created a miracle.  My first live streaming cam was when Mom and Dad Hornby made their 'live' cam debut in 2006.  

My sincere thanks to the owner of the property where 'Gregg's Tree' is located for giving permission for the cam.

Heartfelt and loving thanks to everyone here who has given so much of their love, time and effort to bring this project to fruition. You are a talented, caring, creative and cohesive group. I do have some knowledge of what it takes to make a project like this 'fly'.   wink

The video which accompanied the announcement by Jingles was so beautiful. I have watched it x 4 now and still have moist eyes.  Thanks Cali and also to whoever provided the muCafé

And Cafe Press / Mojo all ready have launched the 'new line' for 2012.  wink

I know this is going to be an awesome season - with a new and expanded view. I can't wait  big grin

Thank you  heart  clap

group hug

P.S. As our Boonibarb would say 'wooohoooo!'

Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced. (Anonymous)
Avatar is of Karula (female leopard). May 1, 2013
Stokes

« Post / Reply #3 on: March 03, 2012, 09:09:44 PM »

Congratulations! Such exciting news. It will be exciting
to see how the camera works and the surrounding view of
flights, intruder alerts, fledgling activity, general wildlife
will be. Thank you for carrying the dream for us.

With deep gratitude and great hope,
Flood
priscillash

Canada Canada

« Post / Reply #4 on: March 03, 2012, 10:10:02 PM »

woooohooooooooo thank you thank you love heart
emptynester

Canada Canada

« Post / Reply #5 on: March 03, 2012, 10:57:44 PM »

Good evening everyone :-)  I have watched Mom and Dad Hornby since the begining in 2006.  I just heard the news and am thrilled that we will be able to watch them again.  Going to be amazing watching from a different angle!!!!  Ways to go team thumbup

~~~ I am so happy to be here ~~~
madrona
HEGPS

Canada Canada

« Post / Reply #6 on: March 03, 2012, 11:01:15 PM »

Nice to see you here, emptynester.  It's been a loooooong time!  I was there at the beginning too. 

We have missed the Hornbys and it will be so nice to see them again.  (I've missed you too - hope you drop by often).  love

Wildness reminds us what it means to be human, what we are connected to
      rather than what we are separate from. - Terry Tempest Williams
Caro

« Post / Reply #7 on: March 03, 2012, 11:14:09 PM »

Another Woohooo from me too!
Aliemae

« Post / Reply #8 on: March 03, 2012, 11:17:02 PM »

What wonderful news this is can't wait to see them both again!.  Thank you very much!
priscillash

Canada Canada

« Post / Reply #9 on: March 03, 2012, 11:19:16 PM »

I used to go by gymnut2 in chat, does anyone know how I can change that to priscillash? thank you
MoJo
HEGPS

« Post / Reply #10 on: March 04, 2012, 12:32:06 AM »

What a wonderful and exciting night this was!  Chat was flying and the room was overflowing with joy! heart

I used to go by gymnut2 in chat, does anyone know how I can change that to priscillash? thank you

Priscilla, there are two ways to do that.  You can register again using a different e-mail address, or you can delete your other account if you want to re-use the same e-mail.  Here's a link to Chatango's help page:
http://chatango.com/help?help_account#change_name

Hope this helps!

Mojo

Products featuring Hornby eagles, heritage, sports, singing, dancing & more!
www.cafepress.com/creationsbymo
jeavverhey

« Post / Reply #11 on: March 04, 2012, 12:37:41 AM »

Thank you  Thank you to all concerned with this new venture - HEGPS, the tree and property owners who gave permission, HEART, Maj, heartssmiles and a very special thanks to Booni  kisssmile and Wren  kisssmile who made the last 8 months bearable.  It has been a long tough road and the reward is sooo sweet.  God bless you all. group hug
priscillash

Canada Canada

« Post / Reply #12 on: March 04, 2012, 12:38:37 AM »

What a wonderful and exciting night this was!  Chat was flying and the room was overflowing with joy! heart

Priscilla, there are two ways to do that.  You can register again using a different e-mail address, or you can delete your other account if you want to re-use the same e-mail.  Here's a link to Chatango's help page:
http://chatango.com/help?help_account#change_name

Hope this helps!

Mojo
thank you mojo,you are the best I remember you from chat thumbup
dotwad

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Post / Reply #13 on: March 04, 2012, 03:56:39 AM »

thumbup OH MY, OH MY, OH MY, i am speechless with emotion. thank you to all involved in this . a new adventure awaits. just cant find the words to tell you how happy i am at this news.  love
Bluewing4

Canada Canada

« Post / Reply #14 on: March 04, 2012, 06:08:53 AM »

Such exciting news . Thank you all who are making this happen. You're efforts are so appreciated.
Pages:  [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

* Theme Changer

Forum Default

Permanently